Made it to APRIL. Again!

This cold?
We're at 3 tanks a year, its a new 2500 sq. ft ranch on slab build, have in floor heating, 3 pane windows, walls 2x6 blown insulation with 2 inch exterior foam, 2" floor foam, R50 ceilings. Supplement propane with wood stove.

20230402_171849.jpg

20230408_062820.jpg

Last edited:
We are at about 200 gallons a year, but we burn wood as well. When we had our tank installed I wanted the grill to be hard plumbed, but I couldn’t make it cost effective. Sounds like a nice setup you have there.

On a side note, I’m trying to figure out when to get my tank topped off. Found a chart for propane prices in Indiana and October 2023 was very low. I’ve always assumed mid to late summer, but haven’t done that yet. I would have thought corn drying during the harvest season would keep demand high.

For us it’s two “500 gallon” tanks per year which is 2 x 400 ( filled to 80%) which is 800 gallons. My dates are Nov to Nov to even out to the two tanks. Since we’re on the heat pump until then, the propane is used for the in-floor heat and domestic hot water.

How cold ?

I don’t mind cold temps, just the snow and ice.
We had single digits for a week (no snow then), lots of teens and bone dry. Killed my last Apricot tree and other plants. We had some snow - but the weather then was upper 20°'s. Typically most winter here is above freezing with cool rains. We had some warmth in March which is a bit unusual. Opened windows!!

You did well Pablo. Jim.....that is a lot of propane for around here. I am not a propane fan. It only has 98,000 btu's per gallon. Oil is my preferred fuel at 140,000 btu per gallon.
I tried oil in the BBQ, AHA said not good for me. Oil heating isn't a thing around here.

How many BTU's in natural gas? Propane more energy dense, I'm sure. I love it.

I switched to propane in 2015. It gets filled at the summer fill price in mid summer. That's always the lowest price of the year. Have yet to use a full 500 (400) gallon tank. Got close once though, I was out shaken the tank.....

I don’t have my numbers with me, but if you are on a natural gas line, in my area natural gas blows propane away and propane is much cheaper than oil on a cost per 100,000 btu’s basis. Everyone needs to calculate their own numbers for their specific area.

I had an oil furnace. $4 a gallons was too much for me. Most propane I've used since 2012 is 370 gallons. Most it's cost a gallon was $1.99 in 2022. cheapest $0.85 a gallon in 2015.

When I went to propane I reduced the heating area s it is more zonal now.

I tried oil in the BBQ, AHA said not good for me. Oil heating isn't a thing around here.

How many BTU's in natural gas? Propane more energy dense, I'm sure. I love it.
1038 btu,s cubic foot. Natural gas will vary btu content depending on methane and other hydrocarbons. Gas meters read in cubic feet in the states.

Last edited:
You did well Pablo. Jim.....that is a lot of propane for around here. I am not a propane fan. It only has 98,000 btu's per gallon. Oil is my preferred fuel at 140,000 btu per gallon.
Yeah oil is great but the smell bothers me and it really dries the air.
But the big house is gone 😕
I did have new 99% Efficient propane heaters though

500 gallon propane tank

1 year !

Did not think we would come close this time because winter was so cold

I guess it’s April to April here out

I even used the gas fireplace this winter and the griddle and gas grill are hard plumbed

Dual fuel rocks
As rich as you are and you're complaining about costs. You should join BITOG 😉

I had an oil furnace. $4 a gallons was too much for me. Most propane I've used since 2012 is 370 gallons. Most it's cost a gallon was $1.99 in 2022. cheapest $0.85 a gallon in 2015.

When I went to propane I reduced the heating area s it is more zonal now.
Yeah that's what I was paying too. One year I got it for 67 cents. I wish I had a bigger tank that year..Had a 1000 gallon tank

This cold?
We're at 3 tanks a year, its a new 2500 sq. ft ranch on slab build, have in floor heating, 3 pane windows, walls 2x6 blown insulation with 2 inch exterior foam, 2" floor foam, R50 ceilings. Supplement propane with wood stove.
You have a special kind of cold up there.

Back