Gas prices rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading our petroleum imports ere at the lowest levels since 1982 the other day, mainly due to US exports of domestic products and crude. Much like the rise in Natural gas the price rises because instead of a surplus in the country selling to domestic refiners we sell to world markets.

Will someone please explain to me why gas can jump 30 cents overnight but only drop a penny at a time.
It never drops 30 cents at once.

They always stagger that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Prices for 87 E10 south of Chicago are $2.19-$2.51 in a 30 mile spread. The closer to Chicago the higher it gets. The $2.19 station has not gone up at all since Harvey.

Diesel though has gone up $0.50 a gallon locally. $2.35-$2.79. The $2.35 went up a 10 cents.

Both of those low prices are Mom and pop stations. Both use Phillips fuel.

Regular 87 is well over $3.00 here. I just paid $3.50 for Shell 91 and that included 25¢ off due to their fuel rewards program. Of course, our taxes are a big part of that.

Cheapest I saw all week here in eastern Washington State was $2.84. Thanks to our extra fuel tax and governor tax man Jay Inslee. I think we and right behind Calif in fuel tax or close to it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Prices for 87 E10 south of Chicago are $2.19-$2.51 in a 30 mile spread. The closer to Chicago the higher it gets. The $2.19 station has not gone up at all since Harvey.

Diesel though has gone up $0.50 a gallon locally. $2.35-$2.79. The $2.35 went up a 10 cents.

Regular 87 is well over $3.00 here. I just paid $3.50 for Shell 91 and that included 25¢ off due to their fuel rewards program. Of course, our taxes are a big part of that.
87E10 is around $2.35-$2.59 now.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

87E10 is around $2.35-$2.59 now.

87E10:
-$2.69 at Costco
-$2.89 elsewhere (Cook County) with a $2.95 bump over the weekend
-...I don't want to think what Chicago is paying...

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Will someone please explain to me why gas can jump 30 cents overnight but only drop a penny at a time.
It never drops 30 cents at once.

Refiners & distributors increase their prices a bit at a time. Retailers tend to hold the line because most of their competitors do this, they do not want to be the ones to increase the price while their competitors do not.

At some point in time the dam breaks, and they have to increase their price as the cost of the next delivery is too high to maintain a profit. On the way down, it is a gradual decrease as each retailer drops a bit to hopefully gain market share. No incentive to get all the area's business at a lower profit level.

I read somewhere that they usually can't raise the prices enough to offset the loss when the spot price rises. So, they raise it as much as competition allows and then have to lower it gradually as the market decreases to be able to make up what they lost when the market was high. If CAFE and clean air mandates are tossed aside you can probably expect to see prices on the rise again as demand could increase unless people took previous hard lessons to heart.

here's a link to the daily prices, wholesale and retail and by region. They have the historical data too for comparison elsewhere on the site.

Daily Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back