Smokey and the Bandit

Smokey and the Bandit was just added to Netflix. I watched it tonight, what a fun trip down memory lane.

Stupid movie. Absolutely perfect for a little break from the nutty world we are living in now. šŸ˜Ž

Trans Ams were ā€œthe carā€ to have for quite a while afterwards.

Yeah it's a great premise ruined by its own stupidity.

They didn't spend much time on the interstate, if they really were trying to get Coors beer across the country.

The car always had engine sounds dubbed in, like it was going 5000 RPM while cruising at 50 on a two-lane country road.

Burt Reynolds was like the Norm MacDonald impression-- "Yeah, I'm a cool guy, what 'cha want?"

Field, Reed, and Gleason were good though.

This was one of a handful of "Speed limit 55 sucks" type movies. Add in Cannonball Run, Gumball Rally...

Replica cars are being sold to stupid Boomers with too much money. I hate seeing someone get gypped but don't know who to root for in this example.

They didn't spend much time on the interstate, if they really were trying to get Coors beer across the country.

The car always had engine sounds dubbed in, like it was going 5000 RPM while cruising at 50 on a two-lane country road.

Burt Reynolds was like the Norm MacDonald impression-- "Yeah, I'm a cool guy, what 'cha want?"

This was one of a handful of "Speed limit 55 sucks" type movies. Add in Cannonball Run, Gumball Rally...

Replica cars are being sold to stupid Boomers with too much money. I hate seeing someone get gypped but don't know who to root for in this example.
Disagree totally with your take on this movie. It was excellent. It did not have a great premise. State the premise and youā€™ll see how ludicrous it is. Iā€™ll be watching it again.

This is one of the things that got me into trucks at a very young age. I grew up around them and this movie only fueled the fire. I always thought Iā€™d pick up my ā€œSally Fieldsā€ on the side of the road too but as Iā€™m in southwest Missouri most of the ones on the side of the road are missing most of their teeth among other problems and addictions.

Iā€™d rather have the Kenworth.

The 2nd and 3rd movies were ridiculous IMO.

I remember seeing Smokey and the Bandit at the theater when it first came out.
It was he first movie that my wife & I had been to where the audience was actually CLAPPING & HOORAYING during scenes.
When the movie was over, all of those with T/A's, Z28's and other HOT cars were peeling out of the parking lot of the theater.
Everyone driving a T/A were the S&tB characters on that day.
Even though I've never had a Z or a TA, I've had 4 F-Bodies myself(Camaro'74, '77 / Firebird '79, '80). I prefered the other trim levels(Ralley Sport/FORMULA).
Click on my signature.

Last edited:
Jerry Reed and Burt Reynolds were the perfect guys for that movie. They also starred together in another movie along the same lines later on called, "Gator".

Jerry Reed played the bad guy in that picture, the opposite of Reynolds. It wasn't a comedy, (but some parts were funny), but still worth watching. Both of them are no longer with us.

"Gator", (that opened in 1976), was actually a sequel to another Reynolds action film drama called, "White Lightning", that came out in 1973.

The last Burt Reynolds action movie was made in 1978 titled, "Hooper". He was reunited with Sally Field in that picture, where he played a Hollywood stuntman. Both Jan Michael Vincent and Brian Keith costarred with him.

They're all nice, fun, and easy films to watch. And were filmed before they had all of the computerized special effects that most every action movie made today, overdoses on.

Dont forget some of the police cars...I think they were dodge or plymouth had a small hood scoop on then...why??? I dont know they looked dumb...I think they were Plymouth Fury...

Dont forget some of the police cars...I think they were dodge or plymouth had a small hood scoop on then...why??? I dont know they looked dumb...I think they were Plymouth Fury...
Not the police cars mind you, (except for the one's in the film), but a lot of those late 60's and early 70's Dodge and Plymouth sedans came with, "Shaker Hoods". There was a hole in the hood that allowed the scoop, (that was mounted on the engine), to stick through.

These were mostly 440 "Six Pack's", (3, 2 barrel Holly Carbs), and some were 426 HEMI's. They got the name because when they were idling the scoop would shake and move. They would also twist slightly under full power because the motor mounts would flex quite a bit.

Wow! Itā€™s just a comedy. Go watch Love Story and cryā€¦just go away.

Bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

Hal Needham, director of Bandit, was the 2nd unit director (2nd unit was in Florida) for Gator and this is allegedly where he got the plot points for Bandit.

When he'd return to his hotel, each day he'd notice one or two of his beers was missing. When he brought it up to the crew, they told him, "Well, yeah. It's Coors. You can't get Coors in Florida and housekeeping or maintenance is pocketing them."

Coors was non-pasteurized and couldn't be shipped too far from Colorado without refrigeration or it would spoil. Shipping and storing in refrigeration is expensive, so Coors chose for a long time to just sell in the west.

That's why Big Enos wanted Coors in Atlanta, why they had to go all the way to Texas for it, and why they had to get it back quickly.

Not the police cars mind you, (except for the one's in the film), but a lot of those late 60's and early 70's Dodge and Plymouth sedans came with, "Shaker Hoods". There was a hole in the hood that allowed the scoop, (that was mounted on the engine), to stick through.

These were mostly 440 "Six Pack's", (3, 2 barrel Holly Carbs), and some were 426 HEMI's. They got the name because when they were idling the scoop would shake and move. They would also twist slightly under full power because the motor mounts would flex quite a bit.
I know that...those were real hood scopes...my neighbor had a 1969 Dodge Super Bee with a 440 six pack with the lift off fiberglass hood.....but the police cars with the fake hood scoop on the Plymouth Fury look stupid and a add on..

Back