Gas prices rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Who cares. Don't drive a gas guzzler and fuel prices won't impact you as much.

I drive a Hybrid- Got 63 mpg over 38 miles this AM
However you forget business people. Filling up my tractors is costly and I'm just mowing my own properties.
However mowing businesses and contractors get squeezed and all of that aside, it is scam-that is the real issue.
40 cents in one week- yeah.........

Went up 10 cents here to $2.27 last night (Gilman, IL). Some stations are higher near $2.50 but the one town has a lot of truck stops and quite a few stations in a small area. Helps keep the price competitive between them.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Who cares. Don't drive a gas guzzler and fuel prices won't impact you as much.

Exactly. My little Spark gets 38 mpg (calculated) averaged over 14,000 miles. And I drive a whole 200 miles/week.

I love the whining..lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
The oil industry does this every time there's a natural disaster...bad times for consumers are good times for the industry to increase profits...
It's difficult to run normal refining operations when there are six feet of water in the parking lot and no electric power. I'm sure the refiners are just praying for those conditions so prices can go up.

All the gas currently at the retail outlets was refined and in the pipelines and storage tanks long before Harvey hit. Of course it's price gouging!

Pardon my ignorance, how this doesn't classify as price gouging?

Gas station owners get in trouble for doing exactly this but the oil companies can do it 'legally'?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
All the gas currently at the retail outlets was refined and in the pipelines and storage tanks long before Harvey hit. Of course it's price gouging!
It's supply and demand. Higher prices encourages conservation and prevents hoarding.

Learn a bit about the World Market Suestem.

Short term pricing of comodoties are for the most part derived from the present value of that commodity on the Spot Market. That is the price that often occurrs when it is placed in tank trucks from storage facilities. People that understand that just roll their eyes when they hear this drivel.

A couple years ago when the BP refinery in Whiting IN had to abruptly close, the price at some stations here rose over a $1 a gallon in a couple hours. Took most a good two weeks before they started coming down. Some never went up.

The best way to think of gas prices is relative to what it would cost to get from the refinery right now, not how much it cost to refine that particular gallon of gas.

Living in the Houston area, the concern is more finding the gas. No gouging going on here.

Saw a station this morning that usually has decent prices for $2.59/gallon. Then less than a mile down the road the BP station is $2.21. A few more stations down the road had higher prices as well. I went to the Chinese buffet for lunch. Afterwards went back to the BP station to fill up. Luckily at the same price as earlier.

Originally Posted By: Al

Short term pricing of comodoties are for the most part derived from the present value of that commodity on the Spot Market. That is the price that often occurrs when it is placed in tank trucks from storage facilities. People that understand that just roll their eyes when they hear this drivel.

al -- in your earlier post, you said that you love the whining. I do, as well.this is classic drama queen entertainment.
all of us that hang around together take advantage of these situations, per the market.we smile when we fill up, not cry about it,as the prices rise.but, it's easier to whine, and [censored] about this than deal with it in a logical fashion -- by making money.

'gotta love bitog's drama. have a good day, all.

Originally Posted By: yeti

'gotta love bitog's drama. have a good day, all.

lol..you too
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

So, how is what you just typed NOT price gouging? Short term pricing AKA [natural disaster, so let's raise prices even on our old inventory]. That is the price on the commodities market when it was loaded onto the truck, [again old stock being sold for a higher price due to a natural disaster]. I find it hard to defend oil companies, insurance companies and lawyers. Wait for the thread on insurance companies not paying up on legitimate claims in the near future in the affected areas.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The oil industry does this every time there's a natural disaster...bad times for consumers are good times for the industry to increase profits...
It's difficult to run normal refining operations when there are six feet of water in the parking lot and no electric power. I'm sure the refiners are just praying for those conditions so prices can go up.

The refineries that are flooded don't need to run. There are plenty of refineries throughout the country, and none of them are operating at anything even close to full capacity. All of the supply lost by the refineries that are shut down can easily be made up by the other refineries...

Wow, a disaster of biblical proportion, people drowning in the streets, literally, thousands or more losing everything, and some people worry about a couple of extra dimes on a gallon of gas for a few weeks ( which is dirt cheap compared to say, milk, or bottled water ).

FYI, motor fuel is typically priced at replacement cost. When the cost to replace inventory goes up, the price goes up. When the cost to replace inventory goes down, the price goes down. I only know of one chain locally that prices on the basis of what they paid for the fuel in the ground. They are always too high or low on price, and it must be an accounting nightmare.

Of course the industry sits around and licks its greasy chops, and squints its beady eyes, at the thought of human tragedy on a grand scale, just so it can make a few extra bucks. They're not run by people, they're run by red skinned night beasts with horns and pointy tails.

So, how is what you just typed NOT price gouging? Short term pricing AKA [natural disaster, so let's raise prices even on our old inventory]. That is the price on the commodities market when it was loaded onto the truck, [again old stock being sold for a higher price due to a natural disaster]. I find it hard to defend oil companies, insurance companies and lawyers. Wait for the thread on insurance companies not paying up on legitimate claims in the near future in the affected areas.

This is how the (Free) market works.....its siply supply and demand.

Last edited:
Mouthed off too soon in my prev post in this thread, and will now Eat Crow as follows: Just paid $3.09/gal for premium 92 for the new motorcycle. Sure it only holds 8 gallons but seems to have been a while since premium was north of $3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back