Gas prices rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all you clowns that hang together enjoy taking g advantage of of disasters like this so you can make money?
Hope you choke on it.

Shell had it for $2.89 a few weeks ago when regular was $2.09. So $3.09 isn't too bad in the scheme of things. Plus only $20 to fill up. Not bad.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
So all you clowns that hang together enjoy taking g advantage of of disasters like this so you can make money?
Hope you choke on it.

I could suggest that those who are wringing their hands in agony bc gas prices are going up a few cents care more about this than the actual disaster. Of course its silly and so is your statement silly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Yup, filled up last week for $2.19 and yesterday was $2.39. omw home i thought i would top off the tank on the malibu since it was at half a tank and it was $2.59. Midgrade was also $2.59 so i topped off with midgrade for $21. I also live in MO in Grandview

We are neighbors, I am up in Raytown.

That's what it did. Tanked up tonight, even though I did not need it.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Hope you choke on it.

I could suggest that those who are wringing their hands in agony bc gas prices are going up a few cents care more about this than the actual disaster. Of course its silly and so is your statement silly.

^^ this.
dallas -- read the thread title. i'll help you --GAS PRICES RISE.i was not talking about the reason.
it could be some wacko in north korea lobbing icbm's over japan. or,trump speaking, or,in the past, the goings on in eastern Europe. or, a coup in central America, or Africa.or, someone burping in the middle east.the thread topic is GAS PRICES RISE.

yesterday, gas prices here went up a large amount.nothing to do with the hurricane, but these things are very predictable.when you know that something will happen, and don't take advantage of it, well ... that's kinda stupid.i'm guessing that you choose this route, as the vehicles in your sig are worth lunch money.
it's interesting that you are the only one that made such a comment. the other posters are commenting on the the rise in gas prices. you know -- the thread topic.
al was correct in calling your statement silly. have a good evening.

Originally Posted By: Al

I'm curious as to why you're always so quick to defend the gougers.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm curious as to why you're always so quick to defend the gougers.

If they have the resources that people want and need but are too lazy to stock up on, they have the right to capitalise on the situation.

If you had the only car in the country and EVERYBODY needed a ride, would you drive the homeless around for free? Or would you drive billionaires around to earn some money?

Gouges want the most valuable customers, just the same as every business wants the high value customers.

Expecting a business to act like a charity just because you didn't stock up on supplies is stupid!

Originally Posted By: Olas
If they have the resources that people want and need but are too lazy to stock up on, they have the right to capitalise on the situation.

If you had the only car in the country and EVERYBODY needed a ride, would you drive the homeless around for free? Or would you drive billionaires around to earn some money?

Gouges want the most valuable customers, just the same as every business wants the high value customers.

Expecting a business to act like a charity just because you didn't stock up on supplies is stupid!

How are consumers supposed to stock up on gasoline? Not too many people have gasoline storage tanks at their residences...

There appears to have been a slight delay, but yes, they seem to have shot up twice in 48 hours.

I think it has a lot to do with the recent weather event in Texas, and Houston area refineries, which likely supply most of the whole country.

No they don't. Each region has their own refineries. There's no reason for prices to go up nationwide because of the flooding in Houston...

They have closed down the Colonial pipeline that feeds the SE US. This puts a strain on the operating refineries. Diesel went up $0.20 a gallon last night here in Illinois. Gas went up about $0.15. Most fuel here comes from the Chicago/Gary IN refineries.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
There appears to have been a slight delay, but yes, they seem to have shot up twice in 48 hours.

I think it has a lot to do with the recent weather event in Texas, and Houston area refineries, which likely supply most of the whole country.

No they don't. Each region has their own refineries. There's no reason for prices to go up nationwide because of the flooding in Houston...

So, help me out then, they don't distribute that gas long distances? (Via tanker or pipeline)

It seems pretty standard they raise the price when the pipeline or distribution is affected, even when faced with the possibility of a storm.

united_states_pipelines_map.jpg

http://www.pipeline101.org/Where-Are-Pipelines-Located

With the current refineries offline, we went from having surplus capacity to having negative capacity measured in millions of barrels. The prices are rising in response to this change. The oil companies are not the ones raising the prices, the market is.

Whether you like it or not, all the US is impacted by Houston going offline. This also allows those refineries to reroute fuel to the damaged areas so that life can continue and people can go on rescuing people in danger.

The current economy is globalized, so things seemingly unrelated will impact you.

Gouging has a definition in TX and many other states, including FL. Prices going up across the board from every single supplier isn't gouging, nor is it collusion.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
With the current refineries offline, we went from having surplus capacity to having negative capacity measured in millions of barrels. The prices are rising in response to this change. The oil companies are not the ones raising the prices, the market is.

Whether you like it or not, all the US is impacted by Houston going offline. This also allows those refineries to reroute fuel to the damaged areas so that life can continue and people can go on rescuing people in danger.

The current economy is globalized, so things seemingly unrelated will impact you.

Gouging has a definition in TX and many other states, including FL. Prices going up across the board from every single supplier isn't gouging, nor is it collusion.

I don't buy the notion that one or two refineries being offline takes the entire country from a surplus to a negative supply wise...

Grampi, you don't have to believe me. If you don't believe what I have linked below, I won't bother trying to explain anything nuanced, as this is not a nuance of an issue...it is a major issue in itself.

From one article that a quick Google revealed. Even if you don't like Liberal or Conservative or (insert label) press, they are all reporting the same thing....

"Kloza noted that while about 25 percent of total U.S. refining capacity is offline, something on the order of 40 percent of capacity that serves Americans east of the Rockies had been affected."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=texas+refinery+offline+capacity

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

I don't buy the notion that one or two refineries being offline takes the entire country from a surplus to a negative supply wise...

.... I don't buy the notion that one or two refineries being offline takes the entire country from a surplus to a negative supply wise...

Just open a gas station, and get some real world experience selling gas for whatever you want to sell it for. You can have a whole new universe of things to complain about - retail customers! Government regulations! Everyone will undoubtedly love you and appreciate you for selling commodities for less than what it costs you to replace your inventory, right up to the point you go out of business.

Or you can raise your price to reflect the new replacement cost of the inventory you are going to have to figure out a way to purchase, and suffer people like you calling you a price gouger.

Frankly, if one has extra money just laying around, it makes more sense to me to donate it to people who are actually affected by the tragedy, rather than using it to sell gas below replacement cost, just to subsidize people unaffected directly by the tragedy, who want to top off their gas tanks on the cheap.

But that's just my point of view. I doubt it will change yours.

edit: and Grampi, you might actually be surprised to find out that those pesky government regulations in many states ( for sure, in my state ) actually make it illegal to sell retail below cost except in specifically defined circumstances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They have closed down the Colonial pipeline that feeds the SE US. This puts a strain on the operating refineries. Diesel went up $0.20 a gallon last night here in Illinois. Gas went up about $0.15. Most fuel here comes from the Chicago/Gary IN refineries.

Nope....Colonial announced last night they weren't shutting down after all......Hmmmm! I wonder if a meeting occurred and they had a change of heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back