Free oil change on Dealer !! good or bad ??

If anything, free oil changes are offered to get you back to the dealer service department. Depending on the mileage, it's an opportunity to offer more services (repairs or maintenance) or get you into the habit of visiting the dealer service department, again, for more service sales or even to sell you a new car.

Similar to free services offered on new cars (i.e. 2 year complementary Toyota Care) do the same as above but also as a marketing tool to have the consumer think they are getting a better deal on the purchase. It works and I don't see anything really wrong with it, just have to understand what it really means.

Oil changes are not big money makers (often break even or at a loss) but to get you in there to add on services/repairs. These are often paired with a "Free Inspection". Think of free oil changes as marketing. No different than a gas station or fast food place offering you a free drink for just stopping in.

I generally haven't had any bad experiences with getting oil changes at dealers. I just got used to declining any additional offers and get the free inspection report. I even take the inspections with a grain of salt as I have seen dealers miss things.

Last edited:
There are bulk oil distributors. I have asked and learned it’s anything from motorcraft 0w20 to Mobil or even Quaker state. Never have I seen a non current oil. They will go to jobbers and bid on the bulk oil.
The best dealers to use are the ones who do a lot of in my case Toyota care service. They are changing 50-100 vehicles a day at my busy location.

Here is my local oil distributor who also runs many shell stations.
https://www.midtexoil.com/team/

I am about to trade in my truck on a new one, and if they offer the "free" oil changes, I am going to try and negotiate to have them just give me the materials, and I will supply the labor. The last time I had the dealer do the "first free", they used the wrong oil even after me asking several times if they had the correct oil for that engine. The truck gets done, and when they hand me the paperwork....wrong oil! Back in it goes, and it took forever because I suspect they had to go out and get the correct oil.

I find myself raiding the coffee machine and snacks all the time. Then I grab some to go, not that I didn't eat enough already.
I even know which dealers have the best snacks. If I need service at Nissan it's best to get there early to get the best donuts and croissants. The jalapeño cheese croissant makes the barrel of oil worth the risk :ROFLMAO:

Je suis sur le point d'échanger mon camion contre un nouveau, et s'ils proposent des vidanges d'huile "gratuites", je vais essayer de négocier pour qu'ils me donnent simplement le matériel et je fournirai la main d'œuvre. La dernière fois que j'ai demandé au concessionnaire de faire le "premier gratuit", il a utilisé la mauvaise huile même après que je lui ai demandé plusieurs fois s'il avait la bonne huile pour ce moteur. Le camion est terminé, et quand ils me remettent les papiers... mauvaise huile ! Il y retourne, et cela a pris une éternité parce que je soupçonne qu'ils ont dû sortir et obtenir la bonne huile.
good luck

I had four free oil changes when I bought my Subaru Crosstrek. I now have 105K miles and I haven’t brought it in for the first one.

There are bulk oil distributors. I have asked and learned it’s anything from motorcraft 0w20 to Mobil or even Quaker state. Never have I seen a non current oil. They will go to jobbers and bid on the bulk oil.
The best dealers to use are the ones who do a lot of in my case Toyota care service. They are changing 50-100 vehicles a day at my busy location.

Here is my local oil distributor who also runs many shell stations.
https://www.midtexoil.com/team/
I was naive I thought he was using OEM oil because this oil is the only one recommended in the owner's manual, perfect I no longer buy Mazda oil but my favorite (petro-canada) (translation by Google)

You are using OEM oil - Petro-Canada is a big OEM supplier up here in Canada. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Canadian bottled oil is PC oil, I think it is!

You are using OEM oil - Petro-Canada is a big OEM supplier up here in Canada. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Canadian bottled oil is PC oil, I think it is!
Yes this is very possible, I will perhaps buy the same thing at my hardware store, at least I will pay less and I will be sure that my engine is well protected (translation by Google)

It varies. Some dealers will use appropriate oil, but others will cut corners. When I went for one of my "free" oil changes, I asked the dealer what oil they use. She said it is bulk Toyota 0W-20 made by Exxon, which was true as best I can tell. It shows up on the receipt as a Toyota part number.

A friend in Virginia bought a Subaru from a dealer that advertised free oil changes "for life" with purchase of the car. I wonder what they really use. He doesn't know that, or even how many miles they add to the current odometer reading when they put on the sticker telling him when to come back. So far (> 105k miles), no problems with the engine.

I had four free oil changes when I bought my Subaru Crosstrek. I now have 105K miles and I haven’t brought it in for the first one.
The dealership says thank you for saving them money.

I had two free oil changes owed me. Dealer said bring it in at 7k - then at 14k.
I did my own oil changes at 3.5k and 10.5k...... right in-between their two free ones.
That's what you should have done X 4.

It varies. Some dealers will use appropriate oil, but others will cut corners. When I went for one of my "free" oil changes, I asked the dealer what oil they use. She said it is bulk Toyota 0W-20 made by Exxon, which was true as best I can tell. It shows up on the receipt as a Toyota part number.

A friend in Virginia bought a Subaru from a dealer that advertised free oil changes "for life" with purchase of the car. I wonder what they really use. He doesn't know that, or even how many miles they add to the current odometer reading when they put on the sticker telling him when to come back. So far (> 105k miles), no problems with the engine.
My wife put over 180K miles on a Honda Insight with life time oil changes from the dealer. No issues to speak of. Got rid of it cause the hybrid batteries were starting to go and we had another kid on the way. Needed more seats. Solid little car and the oil was apparently good enough.

I had a free oil change at a Chevy dealer one time and the oil filter wasn't even hand tight and they didn't fill the oil up to full.

I do not trust dealerships or even quick lube shops.

Back