Free oil change on Dealer !! good or bad ??

I wonder about the quality of the oil from dealers during free oil changes, at my dealer I noticed that the oil came from a rather questionable black barrel, new oil or recycle?

That’s the problem. If it’s free, are you getting quality products? My guess is no. There’s mom & pop oil companies in every city that buy lower tier base oil and “blend” their own additives. Gets past oil requirements required by oil brands sold retail. I declined the free oil changes when I found out it was oil pumped from no name drums…

Vous aurez peut-être plus de chance de demander au service des pièces quelle huile ils utilisent dans le service de vidange d’huile.
Ce sont peut-être eux qui le commandent.
Chaque concessionnaire s’approvisionne en huile en vrac auprès de différents fournisseurs.
I thought that the dealership only had original Mazda, Gm, Toyota oils....these are the only oils recommended in our customer manual, they only told me that they used good oil!! your opinion

If he puts anything in our engine we can do the same without having warranty problems No?

Last edited:
I thought that the dealership only had original Mazda, Gm, Toyota oils....these are the only oils recommended in our customer manual, they only told me that they used good oil!! your opinion

If he puts anything in our engine we can do the same without having warranty problems No?
I've never seen a dealership that uses automaker branded oil, perhaps there are some but not very many. They are under no obligation to so so. Sometimes they will if you pay extra.

So did you ask your dealer what they are using in the mysterious black barrel?

Good oil!! that's all !! Ok thank you for the details now I make my changes with Petro Canada 0w20 for my CX-5

Here’s the thing. If you’re going to a dealership to get a free oil change. They buy by the drum. I work for a Jeep and Ram Dealership. We use high quality oil for our Gas pushers made by Exxon. For the Cummins 6.7 we use shell Rotella T-6 full synthetic. A dealer isn’t going to put crap oil in your engine. They want you to have quality service and keep you happy and comming back for all your preventative maintenance needs.

You are right I worked in very professional mechanics workshops but unfortunately I have seen the opposite if you have a good mechanic well done

Our 24 toyota corolla due free oil change in December that engine required 0W-8 that is a 19$ plus per quart.I might take advantage of when it's due.Hopefully they will use the required oil.What they put on paperwork and what they actually put in the engine,yikes.

It will be a good oil from a major supplier, especially if it is a bigger dealership - they need volume, and no hassles that it meets spec. The big majors supply this.

Our 24 toyota corolla due free oil change in December that engine required 0W-8 that is a 19$ plus per quart.I might take advantage of when it's due.Hopefully they will use the required oil.What they put on paperwork and what they actually put in the engine,yikes.

have had some bad experiences, but there are still decent people you just have to find the right one and keep it, from experience you should be wary of workshops where it is impossible to see your car, if they hide your car it is not for nothing (sorry translation by google)

Back