Need some advice regarding Subaru

We took a 2019 Crosstrek from MIL, it has 18000 miles and the oil was changed at the dealer. The miles are all short trips, and it’s a GDI with from what a read fuel dilution.
Do I A use regular 10k 0w20 oil like QSUD, Pennzoil PP, or ST store brand for 4000 miles or
B. Use 20k EP oil 5w30 and do 6000 mile oil change.

2nd question regards CVT, last one I had blew up. At 30k miles is spill and fill ok or do I need full fluid replacement?
Thanks

I use M1 EP for 6 months in my GDI Subaru (only like 2k miles though due to not driving enough). I don't see an issue changing every 6k with any oil unless you feel you have excessive fuel dilution.

As for CVT, I just had a fluid replacement in my 18 Legacy around 52k. I had a cracked cover so they were just going to repair and top off fluid. I got them to do a full exchange due to it taking 30 days for the repair.

We took a 2019 Crosstrek from MIL, it has 18000 miles and the oil was changed at the dealer. The miles are all short trips, and it’s a GDI with from what a read fuel dilution.
You KNOW it has a fuel dilution issue, or just assuming it does?

Do I A use regular 10k 0w20 oil like QSUD, Pennzoil PP, or ST store brand for 4000 miles or
B. Use 20k EP oil 5w30 and do 6000 mile oil change.

2nd question regards CVT, last one I had blew up. At 30k miles is spill and fill ok or do I need full fluid replacement?
Thanks
That 2.0 engine wants only 0W20, I would use the Subaru Idemitsu oil for top performance or pick you poison from the shelves at Walmart. Also use only the Subaru Tokyo Roki filters (not blue frams) If you are short tripping with no long highway weekly, I would not let the oil go longer than 4K. If your Mother-in-Law mad you stole her car?!!

You are not going to be messing with that CVT. NO "spill and fill".

I think we are on our 9th Subaru in 35 years - but I lost count. Maintained everything from a 3cyl Justy to a SVX highway rocket.

Subaru Justy
justy.jpg

Subaru SVX
SVX.jpg

From following the experiences of many others on Subaru forums, and my own personal experience, I would recommend the spill and fill for the CVT. But I would also recommend staying with the Subaru CVT II fluid, instead of one of the one-type-fits-all fluids that are offered. It may cost you a few more $, but you will get the fluid that is designed for the CVT in your Crosstrek.

My wife bought a 2019 Crosstrek brand new and it's about to hit 50k with not a single issue.

Mobil 1 0W-20 (they call it Advanced Fuel Economy) changed every 5k miles and I use Wix filters.
Changed the front and rear diff fluid at 40k with Valvoline 75W-90.
Spill and fill on the transmission at 40k (used OEM Fluid from the dealership).

I'll be staying on the 40k interval for those fluids and probably do coolant at 80k.

I'm on the same journey with you with my 21 Outback. None of the 0w-20 really hold up great over 3k miles. I recently found Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 at Walmart for a reasonable price of $27.97 for 5 quart jug. I think this oil will preform great for 5k miles intervals. It's on the lower end of 30 weight viscosity. As far as CVT fluid a drain/ fill is ok. However, stick with OEM Subaru fluid for the CVT every 30-40k. WIX and Purolator One make very good engine oil filters for our application.

I'm on the same journey with you with my 21 Outback. None of the 0w-20 really hold up great over 3k miles. I recently found Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 at Walmart for a reasonable price of $27.97 for 5 quart jug. I think this oil will preform great for 5k miles intervals. It's on the lower end of 30 weight viscosity. As far as CVT fluid a drain/ fill is ok. However, stick with OEM Subaru fluid for the CVT every 30-40k. WIX and Purolator One make very good engine oil filters for our application.
I personally would not run AFE in something with long timing chains like the boxers have; it’s known to shear quite quickly and significantly in order to achieve its “advanced” fuel economy claims.

Run the QSUD/PP/M1 for 6k or PUP/M1 EP/ etc for 8-10k based on UOA results. Use a good filter (Napa Gold 7055 for basic level, Fram XG for mid and Fram FE7317 for “best”), and let it eat.

Don’t think the CVTs have a serviceable filter, so fluid replacement is all you can do. I’d use OEM fluid there especially if you’re doing 30k intervals. 👍🏻

I personally would not run AFE in something with long timing chains like the boxers have; it’s known to shear quite quickly and significantly in order to achieve its “advanced” fuel economy claims.

Run the QSUD/PP/M1 for 6k or PUP/M1 EP/ etc for 8-10k based on UOA results. Use a good filter (Napa Gold 7055 for basic level, Fram XG for mid and Fram FE7317 for “best”), and let it eat.

Don’t think the CVTs have a serviceable filter, so fluid replacement is all you can do. I’d use OEM fluid there especially if you’re doing 30k intervals. 👍🏻
There's mixed reviews on AFE 0W-30 whether it was reformulated recently or not last year. Example look at this UOA with a low flashpoint indicating a lot of dilution. I will be experimenting this oil on my Subaru soon. With newer Subaru's recommending 0W-16 I don't think its an issue with 0w-30 breaks down into a healthy mid grade 0W-20. I think most people trying 0w-30 just want an extra cushion with fuel dilution vs actually wanting a 30 weight retention.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil1-afe-0w30-2018-toyota-rav4-9-520-miles.367287/

There's mixed reviews on AFE 0W-30 whether it was reformulated recently or not last year. Example look at this UOA with a low flashpoint indicating a lot of dilution. I will be experimenting this oil on my Subaru soon. With newer Subaru's recommending 0W-16 I don't think its an issue with 0w-30 breaks down into a healthy mid grade 0W-20. I think most people trying 0w-30 just want an extra cushion with fuel dilution vs actually wanting a 30 weight retention.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil1-afe-0w30-2018-toyota-rav4-9-520-miles.367287/
While using a much thicker oil is a possibility, if an engine’s UOA shows high dilution because of driving habits or environmental factors, IMHO the smarter idea is to shorten the OCI rather than increasing starting viscosity.

It’s kind of a trade-off; since shorter OCIs increase costs, but short OCIs also negate the “need” for an EP-style oil. Documents have shown 5% dilution to be a good condemnation point, and I don’t think that matters if the oil was what was originally recommended or not.

Meaning, even if you used 0w30, 5% fuel dilution may still leave the oil at say 9.2cSt when it only “needs” 0w16… I’d still personally be changing it. Turbo engines make an even better case to respect the 5%… do you want a highly flammable mixture circulating in your crankcase with the specter of LSPi overhead…

While using a much thicker oil is a possibility, if an engine’s UOA shows high dilution because of driving habits or environmental factors, IMHO the smarter idea is to shorten the OCI rather than increasing starting viscosity.

It’s kind of a trade-off; since shorter OCIs increase costs, but short OCIs also negate the “need” for an EP-style oil. Documents have shown 5% dilution to be a good condemnation point, and I don’t think that matters if the oil was what was originally recommended or not.

Meaning, even if you used 0w30, 5% fuel dilution may still leave the oil at say 9.2cSt when it only “needs” 0w16… I’d still personally be changing it. Turbo engines make an even better case to respect the 5%… do you want a highly flammable mixture circulating in your crankcase with the specter of LSPi overhead…
Has there been any documented engines going to flames because of fuel diluted oil? Subaru recommends 6k normal/ 3k severe on most of their DI boxer engines. Most DI oils prevent LSPI in the first place. I still believe up to 6k is reasonable as per Subaru's recommendation. I think the OP could benefit with a 0w-30 AFE/ EURO, 5w-30 like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5W-30 EP. The whole point of bumping up viscosity is to provide more wear protection with fuel dilution taken into account. I've personally done 3k and 5k oil runs and gotten near the same 5% dilution. 6k miles with Mobil 1 5w-30 should be doable.

I think at 20000 miles I’ll change oil + filter I like even numbers. I’ll use a thinnish 5w30, the only 2 thin 0w30 I’ve seen are Fram and Mobil. I may use those over the winter next time. At 30000 I’ll bring the car to the shop for CVT change.

We have a ton of Subarus in my family.
Funny they all get different oils..

The 2020 Legacy gets 0w20 (until it's older, and then 5w30)
The 2021 Ascent gets 5w30 because turbo
The 2015 STI gets 5w40

Back