Fram Ultra media not used in their racing filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1JZ_E46, I know what you're saying. Fram engineers have their "HP" racing oil filter line.
http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf has the details. Up to 18 GPM oil flow allowed, and they filter pretty well at 94% 20 microns. So that's a lot of flow, and good efficiency, plenty for any street vehicle that uses it.

That said, Wix's approach to their Racing oil filter line is a little different: Wix has 2 types: An AP and an HEE, of which they give little info on efficiency, although the HEE is more efficient than AP media filters; we know that much.
One Wix clue is the comparison between a normal passenger car 57502 with a nominal micron rating of 21 and its also 95% 20 microns (beta ratio on their webpage) AND the racing HEE-media which is 61 microns nominal and unknown beta/4548-12 there. So their passenger car engine filter beats their most efficient race filter (HEE media) 51515R specifically, no big surprise. Based on that small amount of info Wix is willing to share, it looks like you could use a Wix HEE media oil filter in a street vehicle, although it's not really near as efficient as a 57502 non-racing oil filter by comparison.

Looking at a Wix high-flow AP-media oil filter (51268R), it's a big 30 GPM(!), wire-backed, synthetic media, so it actually sounds like they are using something like whats in their XP passenger car line of synthetic filters, which themselves are known for very bad efficiency (50% at 20 microns, kinda awful).

I'm a little amazed that Fram Racing Oil Filters are as efficient as they are. That is very efficient even by normal passenger car oil filter standards. If your engine flows less than about 14 GPM, like about everything on the road, the Fram Racing Oil filter is the best pick.

If your engine flows more than around 15 GPM, then the 30 GPM-rated Wix oil filters would be best choice. Those are monster engines that flow that.

To put this into perspective, I saw a description of the monster Corvette LT5 engine that flows 9.1 GPM oil max (7,000 RPM).
Given Fram engineer's put their range at 10-18 GPM in their racing oil filters, they cover it.
Again, if you've got something flowing more than that GM engine, you might consider the Wix oil filter lines.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think the context of the claim was best flowing compared to other 99.9% @20um rated filters. My 6.0 lq9 has mild piston slap and lifter rattle at startup using an Ultra. Switched to a TG, pretty much gone. So real life experience says it is slightly restrictive. That may be ok for some engines, not others.

No filter is choking oil flow at start-up to cause engine rattle/noises because the engine RPM is low at start-up, and pretty much no way a normal operating oil pump is in pressure relief at start-up idle speeds - meaning all the oil volume leaving the pump goes to the filter and then the engine.

Start-up rattles are caused by a leaky ADBV which drains oil galleries and sometimes hydraulic lifters, so it takes a bit of time to refill the empty spaces and build up full oil pressure. AKA, a "dry start". Some engines are more sensitive to dry starts than others.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Efficiency bad? No, it filters very well. 94% at 20 microns is better than most of the the oil filters out there. Not bad at all. Close to a Wix NapaGold rating actually. Range of %'s at 20 microns of all filters you can get are around ~50% to 99.5%, so this one is quite good at 94%. .... http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf

Yeah, pretty good efficency for how much it flows. I've got a data sheet on my computer somewhere for the Motorcraft Racing oil filter which is very impressive too. IIRC, it's 99% at 20 microns and has low delta-p with lots of flow. I'll see if I cand find it and post a snapshot.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Why is it? The Ultra is supposed to be the best flowing, strongest, but for racing they don't choose it. Just a question, nothing more.

Because Racing guys change oil before every race and will not pay for it. We use a blend of cellulose/synthetic glass that flows between 10gpm (HP17) to 22 gpm (HP6). Our racing filters are 94%@ 20 microns, silicone adbv, suitable for 6k OCI's on high performance street cars, 200psi constant pressure, 500 psi burst strength, Screen over high flow bypass valve all for the lowest price in racing filters.

The HP17 does have a bypass. The HP6 flows 22gpm. That said, we have flow cover very well. We race a SIN supercar in the Pirelli world challenge, it uses a LS3 engine that flows 5.6 gpm at 7000rpm. Brian Deegans PRO2 off road race truck uses the HP6 and his 1000hp engine still only flows 11gpm at 7500 rpm.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Why is it? The Ultra is supposed to be the best flowing, strongest, but for racing they don't choose it. Just a question, nothing more.

Because Racing guys change oil before every race and will not pay for it. We use a blend of cellulose/synthetic glass that flows between 10gpm (HP17) to 22 gpm (HP6). Our racing filters are 94%@ 20 microns, silicone adbv, suitable for 6k OCI's on high performance street cars, 200psi constant pressure, 500 psi burst strength, Screen over high flow bypass valve all for the lowest price in racing filters.

I have been around the racing circle for a long [censored] time and I can tell you this without a doubt, racing guys can care less how much they pay for oil or the filter. All they are worried about is their car and racing.

Thanks, knew there was a reason. Didn't think of cost. I thought it might be due to the second fine media layer restricts too much for racing flows. The racing filter at $14 plus on Amazon isn't very cheap though. I know more steel and lower production mean higher prices. To me, the efficiency difference between 94% and 99% means zilch when there is one gram per 1000 miles average dirt generated.

Didn't think of cost.
Neither are racers thinking of slight cost diffs (not with only $5 diff. !!!)
I thought it might be due to the second fine media layer restricts too much for racing flows.
I wonder if any employee at Fram (like Motorking) can admit anything like that. They have to be careful not to criticize Fram products much at all. You have a great idea: The 2-layer Fram Ultra structure could have been used; maybe just substitute out one of the layers and put in a slightly more porous, open media layer in its place for greater flow & less efficiency for racing applications. ....Then Fram would have a wire-backed media racing filter like Wix has for racing. .... You could say that in racing the racers don't care about or don't know the cheaper paper-glass media in the Fram Racing oil filter could collapse or get a hole in it without wire backing.

It was certainly a design decision. Yes Fram could have made slightly modified version of the Ultra for racing, but they chose to go with paper-glass media instead. The only advantage I can think of with the paper-glass media is that it is lighter, which means it may be able to take vibration better, where the metal wire-backing of the Ultra may come loose inside and rattle around (?). And, the paper-glass media does the job anyway.

Last edited:
You could say that in racing the racers don't care about or don't know the cheaper paper-glass media in the Fram Racing oil filter could collapse or get a hole in it without wire backing.

The Fram racing filter has a much higher bypass valve setting, so the media nust be able to take the higher delta-p forces without failure.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You could say that in racing the racers don't care about or don't know the cheaper paper-glass media in the Fram Racing oil filter could collapse or get a hole in it without wire backing.

The Fram racing filter has a much higher bypass valve setting, so the media nust be able to take the higher delta-p forces without failure.

The new Ultra PF64 cross will have the same 22 psi bypass as the racing filters. The reason was stated, was due to cost to keep the price down.

The racing use only is being removed from the box. They are very well suited for up to 6k OCI's on street cars. 94%@20 microns, far better than any racing filter on the market

Efficiency bad? No, it filters very well. 94% at 20 microns is better than most of the the oil filters out there. Not bad at all. Close to a Wix NapaGold rating actually. Range of %'s at 20 microns of all filters you can get are around ~50% to 99.5%, so this one is quite good at 94%. .... http://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram-racing-filter-sell-sheet.pdf

Yeah, pretty good efficiency for how much it flows. I've got a data sheet on my computer somewhere for the Motorcraft Racing oil filter which is very impressive too. IIRC, it's 99% at 20 microns and has low delta-p with lots of flow. I'll see if I cand find it and post a snapshot.

Here's the Ford Racing Performance oil filter specs for the FL-810. This was quite a few years ago (2005), so not sure if the specs have stayed the same ... I would think so.

The pressure drop (restriction) spec doesn't show what the oil viscosity or temperature was, so hard to say what's up there. Need to know the oil viscosity since the delta-p is highly dependent on viscosity.

XG and TG have an initial restriction of 1.5psi. Not sure what your issue was but is was not restriction

Jay ... I would assume that is with hot oil. Any idea at what GPM flow that was at?

XG and TG have an initial restriction of 1.5psi. Not sure what your issue was but is was not restriction
Jay ... I would assume that is with hot oil. Any idea at what GPM flow that was at?

It’s going to depend on size

I think the TG/XG 8A is one “standard” size,
Another is the TG3600 size “standard”

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It’s going to depend on size

I think the TG/XG 8A is one “standard” size,
Another is the TG3600 size “standard”

Yep, the filter size will correspond to the delta-p, the larger the filter (more media flow area) the lower the delta-p.

But oil viscosity, temperature and flow rate also affects delta-p. If it's only 1.5 psi the oil has to be pretty thin from what I've seen in terms of delta-p vs flow curves. "Initial" restriction means new filter of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back