Fram Titanium is no longer metal screen backed. Ultra, Endurance, Titanium ALL are synthetic *blend* media.

I agree with you.

I my view they are the most transparent about their products on both their web site and point of sale packaging so they aren't trying to misrepresent. Because of this transparency, when product changes occur, updates to the website and the updates to the packaging are difficult to time perfectly and they'll be a mismatch until inventory is used up. Unfortunately throwing away a lot of good packaging is not a good option.
I think there's a disconnect between marketing and development. The Endurance being listed as having blend media earlier on for example, that's just wrong. And this isn't the first time.

Interesting ... so the new Fram Endurance boxes say "Fully Synthetic Blend Media" like Fram's website? Frankly, there's nothing wrong with a synthetic blend, but I have to think it's mostly full synthetic since it still needs the wire backing. Could maybe also be why the Fram Endurance is rated a little higher in efficiency than it's sister Royal Purple. Fram seems to be good at designing media that is pretty efficient.
Blend media won't be white, because cellulose fibres (necessary for a blend) aren't white. If it looks like microglass, it's microglass or similar (spun polymer for example).

Blend medias look, and feel, like cellulose media, any reference to a wire-backed media that looks like what's depicted in this thread as a blend is erroneous.

Blend media won't be white, because cellulose fibres (necessary for a blend) aren't white. If it looks like microglass, it's microglass or similar (spun polymer for example).

Blend medias look, and feel, like cellulose media, any reference to a wire-backed media that looks like what's depicted in this thread as a blend is erroneous.
Think it would depend on the percentage of the blended materials, and what the materials are. Fram doesn't say it's a blend blend with "cellulose", so maybe its some other blend combination. Maybe they mean it's a blend of more than one type of synthetic material - hence the wording they use. 🤷‍♂️

Think it would depend on the percentage of the blended materials, and what the materials are. Fram doesn't say it's a blend blend with "cellulose", so maybe its some other blend combination. Maybe they mean it's a blend of more than one type of synthetic material - hence the wording they use. 🤷‍♂️
Possible, but a blend of synthetic medias is still full synthetic media, why make the verbiage needlessly confusing? I expect it's just a mistake. With the Ultra, the change to blend was accurate, because they actually did move to a cellulose blend.

“Blend” media doesn’t need wire backing, either. I love FB’s new (STUPID) louvers that stop you from knowing what you are buying, too! They’re “blending” something at FB/Fram-a fatter bottom line.

“Blend” media doesn’t need wire backing, either.
Depends on the materials being blended, and to what level. If the media is still a large percentage of fully synthetic media, then it still may need a backing to maintain rigidity in use.

Depends on the materials being blended, and to what level. If the media is still a large percentage of fully synthetic media, then it still may need a backing to maintain rigidity in use.
Haven't seen wire backed blend yet-but they are the company of black "silicone" ADBVs, so anything is possible. (I know, supply chain, yada, yada-just didn't like their "tech support" lying to me about it!).

Haven't seen wire backed blend yet-but they are the company of black "silicone" ADBVs, so anything is possible. (I know, supply chain, yada, yada-just didn't like their "tech support" lying to me about it!).
Seems to me every (3 brands) wire backed fully synthetic filter I have cut had the ”fat” and rounded pleats …
(not speaking for plastic mesh)

For those that missed it - Champ has installed some black ADBV’s that are neither nitrile nor silicone (mid grade?) - but AEM …

IMG_1411.jpg

Finally got around to cutting apart a Fram Titanium and Endurance. Endurance was bought about a month ago at Walmart. I didn’t save the titanium can but the other one I bought at the same time has a date code of A22913.

Both wire backed with the same wire. Titanium on the right, was double layer media.

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5717.jpeg
    IMG_5717.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5718.jpeg
    IMG_5718.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 111
@Robvette I don't think the title of your thread and video is accurate because of a recent email from the Fram tech line.

Might want to consider editing it.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...is-it-still-a-good-choice.364418/post-6551852

View attachment 171748

I don't know how to read Fram date codes, I just got 2 FS3600 today to stash in my ammo box that are wire mesh backed with pink media.
Both filters have a date code of A022533, can anyone verify which digit is the year or date it is made? Its worth noting these were mixed in with some stock at Advance Auto Parts that had the non metal tan color cellulose backing but those had a different date code than these 2 I purchased.

Edit: nvm these are probably old stock, the base plates look a little dry than the usual oily finish.

Attachments

• 20231009_014812.jpg
    20231009_014812.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231009_015812.jpg
    20231009_015812.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231009_015827.jpg
    20231009_015827.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here's how to read the dates .

^^^ As odie pointed out, there is a sticky thread in this forum showing how to read date codes on many filter brands.

"Both filters have a date code of A022533"

Those where made on the 225th day of 2020.

@OVERKILL mentioned that Titanium filters were transitioning to the unbacked synthetic blend media found in the Fram Ultra. I thought I had purchased Titanium FS3980s that were metal backed - the one I just purchased and cut open was! I was wrong.

The Fram rep told me “Titanium = Ultra with a PowerFlow™️ Baseplate”.

I just bought new Ultra, Endurance and Titanium filters - cut them open - and they were all different. Turns out the Titanium I purchased, even tho it was brand new, it was older stock - and the Fram representative was 100% correct.

View attachment 171500
Fram rep response:
View attachment 171501
Then I asked basically what about the Titanium, it seems like it’s the same as the Ultra but with a PowerFlow baseplate. He replied “it is”. And, I can confirm this to be true. The Ultra did have a bypass valve and the Titanium did not - but the media looks identical.
View attachment 171502

I wouldn't worry too much about these. Regardless of manufacturing changes, they are still great filters.
However, if you are concerned, just change the filter sooner for a long OCI?

Fwiw - today bought and cut open Fram Titanium FS3506: not metal backed - but box says it should be. (Filter media on the left is FRAM filter media on the right is Purolator.)

IMG_0038.jpeg

Hey Robvette, you can still find metal wire backed Titaniums, just be sure to open the boxes at the store and look at the batch date code printed on the filter near the Fram logo that goes by "A#####" example: A10232. Any Fram Titanium oil filter you come across that has a batch code of A2#### and A3#### will not have any metal wire backing. Some A2 batches do have wire backing but around some point looking at the date code on my FS3600 stash anything probably above A23001 will not have wire backing as the the last datecode on one I bought marked A22053 on the filter has pink wire backed media.

Also its weird because I saw some Titanium cartridge filters for my brothers 2010 Prius that has pink wire metal backing that had a batch code of M32042.

Thanks for the info. And, that is some wonderfully deceptive corporate jargon.

I have a couple FE7317’s (purchased this week) that just say “Fully Synthetic media’ on the box. Nothing about a blend. No * leading you to fine print on the box. Nothing.

Maybe I got some rare FE cans that are stuffed with fully synthetic, non-blended media, and I’m sitting on a gold mine. 😂

I’m sure the filters are perfectly fine for the intervals stated by the mfr. But, that makes the deception even more puzzling.

Is there a wire backed, 100% synthetic media filter on the market regardless of price for applications requiring the 7317 sized filter?
Just bought one for our odyssey. I run it 2x OCIs.

I was surprised to see it has lovers. I thought the FE filters had wire backed media and holes in the center tube…

For $12.97 vs $8.97 for the louvered Ultra, I’m it sure the value proposition is there…

IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg

Back