New Alternative to Fram Ultra (New design)?

Who makes supertech’s filters? I use them on my zero turn’s Kawasaki from a sale I scored a few years back. I believe I paid $1.50 a filter. Knew nothing about them other than the price was great for a once a year OCI (about 40-45 hours a year).
Fram Force, Supertech, and ACDelco filters are all near-identical filters made by Champ Labs. Telltale design identification is the black nylon core. The higher end Supertech MP- filters get an indigo-colored silicone anti-drainback valve, the other standard Champ Labs filters get a black nitrile ADBV.

Champ Labs also makes an XL series of filters that get an orange silicone ADBV.

I believe all Champ Labs filters are 99%@30 micron efficiency, but the Champ XL's may vary.

Fram Force, Supertech, and ACDelco filters are all near-identical filters made by Champ Labs. Telltale design identification is the black nylon core. The higher end Supertech MP- filters get an indigo-colored silicone anti-drainback valve, the other standard Champ Labs filters get a black nitrile ADBV.

Champ Labs also makes an XL series of filters that get an orange silicone ADBV.

I believe all Champ Labs filters are 99%@30 micron efficiency, but the Champ XL's may vary.
The MP Super Techs seem to have disappeared from Walmart-here's to hoping they make an appearance on Rock Auto at a greatly reduced price!🍻

Bought a bunch of Microgard Select on fleabay for ~$5 each delivered. Really a nice filter…Those and ST Premium are my favs

Supertech blue can is a good filter for the money
I agree....but if you aren't going past 6 or 7K on an OCI the Supertech white can is an even better buy and appears to be the same filter with a nitrile ADBV rather than a silicone one.
As I mentioned earlier....I've cut open several of each and every one had nice even pleats and good construction.

Can anybody extrapolate what their 99% of 30 micron efficiency would be for 20 micron particles?

I switched to Champ XL filters, but the Fram Tough Guard is a better filter than the new Ultra for the price. I buy the Champs from Rock Auto.

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

What are some proven filters that are a good alternative?

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..
You know there is inflation, right? Nearly everything has gone up significantly in price. So even if they never introduced a new Ultra, the price would probably be $12.97.

On the other hand, it looks like a marketing trick. I don´t love the marketing trick, but it may not have been as intentional as it appears. They got a lot of backlash, it seems, after making the changes to the Ultra. So maybe reintroducing it at a higher market point was a reaction to that.

it is good to use the best filter possible with the highest eff. rating,,oil is less useful if dirty,,rather spend a extra few dollars,,myself use Fram ultra cartridge (its what my vehicle takes),filters are not a good place to try and save $,,,quote.

it is good to use the best filter possible with the highest eff. rating,,oil is less useful if dirty,,rather spend a extra few dollars,,myself use Fram ultra cartridge (its what my vehicle takes),filters are not a good place to try and save $,,,quote.
The new Fram ultra is by far the best filter, I wouldn't use the new design if it was free as I feel too many fibers that have the possibility of coming off the filter during usage!

I worked for Walmart for a few years. They are very sensitive to their market position and desire to maintain a "price leader" image. On the other hand, they can be brutal to vendors to squeeze out every last penny.

I'd guess the ST oil situation was due to supplier pricing over Wally's profit ambitions. They typically make a better margin on store brand items anyway.
Their squeezing to get cost out of items year over year is probably what cheapened some filter designs…

Recently, the Carquest Premiums have caught my eye. Looks like they're made by Premium Guard with synthetic blend media but not wire backed. Advance Auto claims 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns good for up to 10k miles. For a '21 Ranger, they are $7.79 but with a current 15% online coupon, they are $6.62.

Interesting. It appears to match a 3614. With such high efficiency I wonder if it’s not intended for an engine? It doesn’t even show up in Fram’s cross reference.

Impressive 99% at 17 microns if those ISO tests are comparable.

I'll let ya know if using it blows up my engine. I did a blow through feel test on the media element with my mouth and its feels far less restrictive compared to the STP S3600XL media element. Donaldson doesn't rate this as an extended service filter probably due to the small size and its probably the smallest Synteq oil filter they have.

Anyways I'm getting some samples of FleetGuard LF16011 which is the direct cross reference of the P551132, higher bypass valve setting and Stratapore media. Will post some cut open pics later on.

I'll let ya know if using it blows up my engine. I did a blow through feel test on the media element with my mouth and its feels far less restrictive compared to the STP S3600XL media element. Donaldson doesn't rate this as an extended service filter probably due to the small size and its probably the smallest Synteq oil filter they have.

Anyways I'm getting some samples of FleetGuard LF16011 which is the direct cross reference of the P551132, higher bypass valve setting and Stratapore media. Will post some cut open pics later on.
What are you putting it on?

I'll let ya know if using it blows up my engine. I did a blow through feel test on the media element with my mouth and its feels far less restrictive compared to the STP S3600XL media element.
I doubt is very "restrictive" ... meaning I doubt it has a lot of dP vs Flow. Even if it's meant for a hydraulic machine application, the filters in those systems shouldn't be very restrictive either. Can you email the maker and ask them if they have any flow vs pressure drop (dP) data they can share. Even if you have one data point and know that the oil viscosity is associated with the data point, you can get an idea of where the flow curve is.

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

What are some proven filters that are a good alternative?

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..
Curious if any tests show new and old Fram Ultra internal mechanical strength after an OCI ?

Back