New Alternative to Fram Ultra (New design)?

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

What are some proven filters that are a good alternative?

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..

Fram Endurance is OE by the same sister company Champion Labs, both are practically the same company now under First Brands Group. 13 dollars is virtually a deal to the comparable private label offering aka Royal Purple and Amsoil EaO which are the same filter with a different paintjob. While I agree the Ultra has been cheapened, the Endurance on its own is still a very good filter for the money and really isn't comparable to the new Ultra since the media isn't apples to apples anymore.

I've cut opened some unused filters here that are STP XL and their normal blue cans which are very good quality alternatives. Some used ones posted by another user here has shown they can hold up pretty well in long oil service life and some abuse and neglect without any media tear.

If your truck takes the fram 3614 size filters, a Donaldson with synteq media is another high efficiency alternative at 17 microns. These go really cheap to around 8-10 bucks a pop depending where you buy it from. Looking to get a couple of these to try out and cut open.

13 bucks for an oil filter you can leave on for 25,000 miles is worth it.
when and if i ever run out of OG ultra media titanium’s i’ll go to the endurance. they’re beautiful inside and out. now, can we get fram to spec a silicone O-ring

Fram Endurance is OE by the same sister company Champion Labs, both are practically the same company now under First Brands Group. 13 dollars is virtually a deal to the comparable private label offering aka Royal Purple and Amsoil EaO which are the same filter with a different paintjob. While I agree the Ultra has been cheapened, the Endurance on its own is still a very good filter for the money and really isn't comparable to the new Ultra since the media isn't apples to apples anymore.

I've cut opened some unused filters here that are STP XL and their normal blue cans which are very good quality alternatives. Some used ones posted by another user here has shown they can hold up pretty well in long oil service life and some abuse and neglect without any media tear.

If your truck takes the fram 3614 size filters, a Donaldson with synteq media is another high efficiency alternative at 17 microns. These go really cheap to around 8-10 bucks a pop depending where you buy it from. Looking to get a couple of these to try out and cut open.
That Donaldson is really interesting. Looks like a different ISO test I’m not familiar with @ZeeOSix but 99% at 17 microns? Wow.

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

What are some proven filters that are a good alternative?

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..
Here is an alternative Filter that will work great with your 2021 Ranger with the 2.3 EB. It will hold up well with your occasional towing. It also happens to be engineered exactly for your engine and vehicle.

That Donaldson is really interesting. Looks like a different ISO test I’m not familiar with @ZeeOSix but 99% at 17 microns? Wow.
It's a multi-pass test (like ISO 4548-12) but geared more for high efficiency hydraulic filters.

1704660492059.jpeg

It's a multi-pass test (like ISO 4548-12) but geared more for high efficiency hydraulic filters.

Interesting. It appears to match a 3614. With such high efficiency I wonder if it’s not intended for an engine? It doesn’t even show up in Fram’s cross reference.

Impressive 99% at 17 microns if those ISO tests are comparable.

Interesting. It appears to match a 3614. With such high efficiency I wonder if it’s not intended for an engine? It doesn’t even show up in Fram’s cross reference.

Impressive 99% at 17 microns if those ISO tests are comparable.
Yep, it's probably meant for a hydraulic application.

Supertech blue can is a good filter for the money
I agree....and the one's I've cut open had nice even pleats and good looking construction....even the white can ones with the nitrile ADBV. I seriously doubt using a much more expensive filter would have any effect on engine life in a well maintained engine.

Honestly - $3 more in the last few years is less than most items. Everything from Bacon to Soda to used cars has about doubled.
This is true....and despite the claims of 'supply chain issues' etc...I believe a lot of it is just plain old greed...in other words companies are using excuses to raise prices because they can. For instance Walmart is now charging $3.77 for a gallon of -20*F windshield washer fluid (the plain old blue stuff not the fancy purple or orange de-icer stuff) while Rural King sells it for $2.29 every day and has it on sale now for $1.79. I'm sure Walmart can source it for the same price as RK and maybe even less with their volume buying. Also, Walmart tried to sell their ST synthetic oils for the same price as the name brands until they had to lower it for lack of sales (this could also be greed on behalf of Pritzker who took over WPP a couple of years ago.)

I worked for Walmart for a few years. They are very sensitive to their market position and desire to maintain a "price leader" image. On the other hand, they can be brutal to vendors to squeeze out every last penny.

I'd guess the ST oil situation was due to supplier pricing over Wally's profit ambitions. They typically make a better margin on store brand items anyway.

This is true....and despite the claims of 'supply chain issues' etc...I believe a lot of it is just plain old greed...in other words companies are using excuses to raise prices because they can.
Yep, definately some "jumping on the inflation train" for a ride to greed town going on in some cases. Inflation greed flows down hill, and only the consumer can stop it by not buying.

Back