Fram ultra cartridge filter still failing?

Just seeing if there is still an issue with end caps the ultra synthetic cartridge filters coming apart. I know in the past there was an issue. I have an 09 corolla that takes the XG10358.

Attachments

• 0F493154-711B-48B3-8B00-7DC62508D3B9.jpeg
    0F493154-711B-48B3-8B00-7DC62508D3B9.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 50
  • 6154B350-72D2-4CB3-81B3-EA903ED486AA.jpeg
    6154B350-72D2-4CB3-81B3-EA903ED486AA.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 50
Mahle makes a very good cartridge for your Corolla :)

If you still want a wire-backed synthetic, consider Wix XP/Napa Platinum the next time it goes on sale

^^^ Yeah, haven't been any reported for a long time. And don't think it was all models anyway.

Have to keep experimenting, and buy newer filters, to find out. It was more than one failure, and the Fram rep even said the Ultra has trouble with the bonding. Since he said that they must have found a way to do it, but it is a fair question. Some people wouldn’t report such a failure because they are in love with the brand. Some threads were taken down that showed cap failure. The brand defense was that intense. Too bad it can’t all be it is what it is.

I've had no problems whatsoever concerning the quality of my XG9018 cartridge filters used on my commuter Equinox... a small SUV with 140,000 miles on it.

She's an oil-burning snow-go.

XG9018-1.jpg

XG9018-2.jpg

Last edited:
Just seeing if there is still an issue with end caps the ultra synthetic cartridge filters coming apart. I know in the past there was an issue. I have an 09 corolla that takes the XG10358.
Yes, there were several issues earlier with those (detachable end caps, undersized center openings, ridiculously irregular pleat spacing), but they all appear to have been solved.
I have an Ultra 10358 which went ~12.5K miles in my niece's 2013 Corolla. I couldn't pull the end caps off with reasonable effort, and don't see anything else wrong with it. Date code on the box is A92571. As for filters off my Prius (same engine, aside from hybrid-specific bits), scarcely any particles large enough to spot with the naked eye are to be found in its pleats.
Other interesting bits on the box: It says "Manufactured for FRAM Group ... " ---not by Fram. Also Fram's usual efficiency claim is missing.

Most of the failures seemed to be with European cartridge applications. Not sure how they are different than say a Toyota filter construction wise though.

I still avoid them. If it’s a cartridge, I stick with OE.

Their prices are pretty scary too. Almost $30 for the filter for my wife’s Volvo. No thanks.

Back