Fram Ultra XG10415 Failure

Fram Ultra from my 2015 Volvo T6 after 4300 miles. Separated at media seam and the end caps were loose too. Anyone else have this issue? Sticking to Manns from now on. Thought this was an upgrade lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20230821_113458964.jpg
    IMG_20230821_113458964.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20230821_113527948.jpg
    IMG_20230821_113527948.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 244
YIKES! This is on an OG Ultra too! WOW! Although this will be the first wire backed Ultra I've seen torn a lot of the low quality controlled brand filters (Non Fram OG) end up with tears in that area of the seam. It appears as though the crimp on yours wasn't right & caused it to blow or b/c of the end cap failure.

These wire backed Ultra's were the tried & true leader in strength & reliability so I'll take yours as an exception rather than the rule. It just never happens to the old Ultra's. Sorry for your loss. 😖

Last edited:
Wow, that’s bad! Yikes.

I‘ve used these a few times, they were pretty high quality for me.

I have seen their “top of the line” filter (the one just above these now) with some poor glue hanging/dripping off the end caps. I immediately said, no way am I buying this thing.

Yes I remember the same.
Cartridge style filters were never their forte
You bring up an excellent point I'd not thought about. Did Fram even build a lot of these "Cartridge" style's? Now that I think of it this may be the first Fram Ultra cartridge I've seen but that's not saying a whole lot since I'm still in the learning phase.

Long time ago there were a few reported cartridge style wire-backed Ultras that showed a similar failure. The failure was the bond of the media to the end caps. It's deninately a rare failure.
Yup, IIRC, didn't they have different (white) media?

OG cartridge had the pink media and made in US. Those had documented failures.

After a bit, most cartridge filter production went to China or South Korea with the white media. No failures that I have seen.
That's unfortunate production moved to China. One of the reasons I choose Fram is because many of their filters are USA made.
My oil change is coming up for my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee that uses a Fram Tough Guard TG11665 cartridge. If its made in the USA I'll go with it.

That's unfortunate production moved to China. One of the reasons I choose Fram is because many of their filters are USA made.
My oil change is coming up for my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee that uses a Fram Tough Guard TG11665 cartridge. If its made in the USA I'll go with it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the evidence is not looking good.

I looked up the filter on the Chinese markets just now and their packaging for it supposedly says "Made in China" and says on the back manufactured for the USA, Canada and Mexico.

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 7.54.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 7.55.31 PM.png

I remember seeing a Chinese made Wix 57356 on their markets before the change hit the USA..

Even though there isn't one person here who approves, this type of attitude seems to be all the rage for the manufacturers.

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.06.13 PM.png

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the evidence is not looking good.

I looked up the filter on the Chinese markets just now and their packaging for it supposedly says "Made in China" and says on the back manufactured for the USA, Canada and Mexico.

View attachment 174408

View attachment 174410
I remember seeing a Chinese made Wix 57356 on their markets before the change hit the USA..

Even though there isn't one person here who approves, this type of attitude seems to be all the rage for the manufacturers.

View attachment 174411
Thank you Michael007.
This is bad news! My next check will be on the Extra Guard CH11665 and Endurance FE11665 versions! If you happen to know these also please share. Thank you!

Thank you Michael007.
This is bad news! My next check will be on the Extra Guard CH11665 and Endurance FE11665 versions! If you happen to know these also please share. Thank you!

They only have the TG and the XG in China. The XG version is made in Korea

If y'all want a laugh (or cry) at how much of a scam marketing has gotten these days..

This is from the product listing for Bellavita's filter on the official Fram Flagship Store in China:

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 8.14.03 PM.png

I used the cartridge type filter in my 07 Hyundai 3.3. I bought the Ultra once and It really seemed to be not up to par with the regular Ultras. I think it was China manufactured. I went to the regular Fram after that. They were better made than the Ultra.

Back