Fram Ultra XG10415 Failure

we steered this thread off topic which is also my fault.

Unless it's old stock on eBay, looks like the MO-349 is made in the USA.

View attachment 174468Source

Michael,
I'm too am to blame for steering off topic. I am grateful for all the supply chain information by you and others on the Fram cartridges. BITOG is really great with all its knowledgeable people that really want to share good information.

As noted, not the first time this type of separation failure seen here with OG Ultra XG cartridges with wire backing. Especially seen on the BMW cartridge applications, there have been multiple thread starters showing similar failures. The now discontinued S Korean coo XG Pentastar application with polymer mesh backing didn't seem to have similar issues. With cartridges in general, fitment in the housing fairly critical.

While I was big fan of the OG XG spin on filters, not so much on OG XG wire backed cartridges. Because of factors mentioned, lean towards OEM cartridges. All that said, now that Ultra media has changed, no idea how the current non-wire backed XG cartridges are but fit in housing would still be an important factor.

As noted, not the first time this type of separation failure seen here with OG Ultra XG cartridges with wire backing. Especially seen on the BMW cartridge applications, there have been multiple thread starters showing similar failures. The now discontinued S Korean coo XG Pentastar application with polymer mesh backing didn't seem to have similar issues. With cartridges in general, fitment in the housing fairly critical.

While I was big fan of the OG XG spin on filters, not so much on OG XG wire backed cartridges. Because of factors mentioned, lean towards OEM cartridges. All that said, now that Ultra media has changed, no idea how the current non-wire backed XG cartridges are but fit in housing would still be an important factor.
10/4 Sayjac . . . thank you!

Fram Ultra from my 2015 Volvo T6 after 4300 miles. Separated at media seam and the end caps were loose too. Anyone else have this issue? Sticking to Manns from now on. Thought this was an upgrade lol.
Was the OCI run across Winter or freezing ambient temperatures? I have only experienced this tearing in the Winter; and it was on a genuine Honda service part filter 15400-PCX-004.
Thick oil + water + revs. - Ken

Was the OCI run across Winter or freezing ambient temperatures? I have only experienced this tearing in the Winter; and it was on a genuine Honda service part filter 15400-PCX-004.
Thick oil + water + revs. - Ken
The oil was run from early January in NH with PP 0w40 Euro for about 5k. Not particularly a cold winter this past year, nor a thick winter rating on the oil. That filter should be able to handle it.

Sorry for late reply, wasn't getting notifications?

The oil was run from early January in NH with PP 0w40 Euro for about 5k. Not particularly a cold winter this past year, nor a thick winter rating on the oil. That filter should be able to handle it.

Sorry for late reply, wasn't getting notifications?
Revisting this, I am thinking this may be damage at removal due to torsion; the metal crimp makes for a good shear edge. Did you also perform a UOA and request a particle count? Or look at % insol?

Also the oil looks very dirty for interval. Is this D.I.? Parked out of doors with > 3 min warmup?

Regardless, I am sure the engine will be fine.

- Ken

filter FMEA_ FRAM cartridge.jpg

Did you also perform a UOA and request a particle count? Or look at % insol?
I don't trust the % Insolubles from Blackstone, as there is no correlation between that and an ISO particle count. You'd think that if the % insoluble were high, so would the PC. Seems the % Insolubles is a very insensitive measure of the oil cleanliness level.

I don't trust the % Insolubles from Blackstone, as there is no correlation between that and an ISO particle count. You'd think that if the % insoluble were high, so would the PC. Seems the % Insolubles is a very insensitive measure of the oil cleanliness level.
I did send a sample out...to Blackstone, lol. Good point that it could have been torqued on removal. It's a non DI turbo I-6. Was serviced by dealer 100% according to schedule (10k oil changes) by PO before I picked it up with 125k. Did a LM flush when I got it and have been using euro 0w40s at 5k intervals, 2 so far.

Back