Ford focus 2009-2013 maybe getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of getting a Focus in that year range. Want to know what others think of them that own/or drive one. I'm probably leaning towards a sedan, because of price. I'll be using it for commuting, and general driving. I was considering the Fiesta, but I think it's a little small if I had to seat people in the back.

The SE version is what I'll probably get. Thanks

If you are getting an automatic, don't look newer than 2011. 2012 and newer have the absolutely garbage Powershift 6 speed dual clutch transmission.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you are getting an automatic, don't look newer than 2011. 2012 and newer have the absolutely garbage Powershift 6 speed dual clutch transmission.
+1

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
+1

+3

I dunno what I'm going to replace my 07 with

I just bought a leftover 2015 hatchback with a manual transmission. Averaging 37mpg. Great ride and handling. My commute is 80 miles per day. Couldn't be happier with it.

Originally Posted By: rat
I just bought a leftover 2015 hatchback with a manual transmission. Averaging 37mpg. Great ride and handling. My commute is 80 miles per day. Couldn't be happier with it.

Looks like you haven't updated your signature on here.
smile.gif

Recently bought a '13 for my daughter. The dual clutch transmission has a bit different feel than a conventional but it seemed to operate well on this 50k mile unit. They seem to be a decent value, new or used. (the new ones can be had on occasion for very substantial discounts/rebates)

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
+1

+3

Wife hit a deer with her car a couple of years back and the insurance rental was a '12 Focus. Great little car except for the DCT. It displayed every negative characteristic described in every angry online post I've ever read about the Ford dual clutch system in only a week of driving it.

When my son turned 16, he liked the look of the Focus and we actually drove another used '12 Focus that had had all tsb's related to the DCT completed. I STILL had issues with slippage under load.

For the same money we went with a '12 Chevy Cruze for him. Have to deal with the turbo on that car though. No problems with it yet.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: rat

Looks like you haven't updated your signature on here.
smile.gif

Good catch. I forgot all about it.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
+1

+3

For the same money we went with a '12 Chevy Cruze for him. Have to deal with the turbo on that car though. No problems with it yet.

what's wrong with the turbo?

My son drove a 2009 automatic from the dealer lot to my house, and asked me to take it for a spin, and to look it over. Put it in reverse in the driveway to back out, and immediately heard a drive line vibration. Going down the road the vibration in the drive line was annoying. It drove straight as an arrow, and no vibrations from the wheels during heavy braking. I told him to take it back, and go find something else. I don't know what was causing the vibration.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
My son drove a 2009 automatic from the dealer lot to my house, and asked me to take it for a spin, and to look it over. Put it in reverse in the driveway to back out, and immediately heard a drive line vibration. Going down the road the vibration in the drive line was annoying. It drove straight as an arrow, and no vibrations from the wheels during heavy braking. I told him to take it back, and go find something else. I don't know what was causing the vibration.

It's the motor mount that mounts to the passenger side wheel well. I replaced mine on my 07 Focus and is a common problem.

Nothing wrong with a turbo. Just something I wish wasn't a part of the Cruze due to possible durability concerns..less opportunity for something to go wrong if it didn't have it. On a positive note the performance and mileage are good. Seems to be a good little car. Seems to have slightly more room than the same year Focus as well. Plus I admittedly have a bowtie bias; another point for the Cruze.

Manual would be the only way to go. Not much good on the DCT as it ages. I did drive a new one and it was OK but there is too much negative on them as they age.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: BigD1

It's the motor mount that mounts to the passenger side wheel well. I replaced mine on my 07 Focus and is a common problem.

I agree

When I purchased my 07 I heard of the mount problem, but thought that since my car only had 60k miles, it was too soon for it to fail.

Then one chilly night the GF borrowed the car and when she returned INSISTED that there was something wrong with it (I was used to the harsh vibration). So I took a chance and replaced the mount. Totally changed the car from that point forward.

FWIW, as I understand that mount is hydraulically filled and once the seal breaks, the fluid is lost and the engine vibration is FAR more pronounced. 20 minutes of my time, a floor jack and some common hand tools was all it took to replace.

Considering these small, easy to remedy issues, I'm still pleased with my choice in purchasing this car. I can easily afford to replace almost anything and not have to worry about it "Breaking My Wallet"
lol.gif

I look forward to many more years of thrifty motoring.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: sopususer

Nothing wrong with a turbo. Just something I wish wasn't a part of the Cruze due to possible durability concerns..less opportunity for something to go wrong if it didn't have it. On a positive note the performance and mileage are good. Seems to be a good little car. Seems to have slightly more room than the same year Focus as well. Plus I admittedly have a bowtie bias; another point for the Cruze.

I'd have to agree with you. I'm not a fan of turbo ANYTHING when considering something I look forward to owning for several years and drive daily.

Yes, yes I know, modern turbos are better built with better lubricants, but still, all that heat under the hood as well as pressure on aging seals and gaskets makes for complex, intimidating repairs.
cry.gif

I've heard about the 6speed problem trans. Did not know the exact years though. I like to shift, until I don't like to shift..... Therein lies my problem? Do I get a stick, or an automatic?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I've heard about the 6speed problem trans. Did not know the exact years though. I like to shift, until I don't like to shift..... Therein lies my problem? Do I get a stick, or an automatic?

Thanks
If you want a newer one and an automatic, get a different car. The dual clutch auto Focus is garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back