2020 Mercedes-AMG One Year Review

December 20th marked one year since I bought my CPO 2020 C43. A few of my friends suspected that I would get bored with it and be ready to move on in short order. As it turns out, nothing could be further from the truth- in fact I like it even more than when I brought it home.

When I picked it up it had 20,975 miles on it; over the past 12 months I added 11,824 miles. Fuel economy ranged from a low of 21.2 mpg to a high of 29.5 mpg. I haven't kept a running tally, but I'd estimate the average mpg is around 25 mpg. Not bad for a car that runs the quarter in 12.6 seconds.

Soon after I bought it the battery began to fail; it was replaced by my dealer under warranty in less than an hour. At 27,000 miles the car called for an A Service; at the same time I replaced the RF tire and had the wheel repaired (due to a large pothole). In addition, the rear pads were replaced as they were close to minimum thickness, but the rotors were still good. I'm hoping that the short pad life was due to the PO's driving environment or driving style. No other issues.

I still think that anyone who complains about the ride of a W205 C43 is delusional; even my 80 year old uncle -a retired Ford employee- thinks the ride is fine. Switching from Comfort to Sport+ makes a huge difference; it's fun to be able to switch from a relaxed cruiser to an engaging sport sedan. Regardless of the mode setting, the handling, the engine response, the throaty exhaust and the driver-focused ergonomics make every drive entertaining.The seats are as comfortable as the sport seats in the BMWs I have owned, if not more so. The handling is very impressive; so far I've run out of courage before I've run out of grip. I have a friend who is a long-time BMW employee; I took him for a ride and he told me that had he been blindfolded he would have guessed he was in a BMW M car.

I love the surround view parking; the Distronic Level 2 autonomy is relaxing on long internet slogs. I appreciate having physical buttons or switches for most every function- and there are several alternative ways to access the functions as well. Siri Eyes Free works flawlessly- a feature BMW phased out. The Burmester audio sounds very good. The Mercedes Me phone app is actually useful, allowing you to remote start, lock/unlock, and send destinations to the navigation system.

I have just a few complaints. The AMG exhaust defaults to quiet on restarts, while annoyingly, the stop/start defaults to on- as does the navigation system voice guidance. The headlamps are great, but lack some of the versatility of the Euro lamps. Looking on the bright side, all of these problems can be addressed with a recode- something I still plan to do. And speaking of plans, work commitments have kept me from taking it to an HPDE or the local 1/8 mile strip.

Bottom line, I can't think of a sedan that does a better job at combining everyday usability with outstanding performance- in a way that perfectly suits my driving stlye. For me, it's a keeper.

Good short term success story. Do you expect to you reach 200k?
200k is not a holy grail for me; the only car I’ve kept past that mileage was my wife’s E83 X3. With the exceptions of my Club Sport and Mazdaspeed3 I usually flip my cars before 150k. Based on what I’ve read on the M-B forums 150k won’t be an issue. That said, if the PHEV M5 Touring comes to America all bets are off.

200k is not a holy grail for me; the only car I’ve kept past that mileage was my wife’s E83 X3. With the exceptions of my Club Sport and Mazdaspeed3 I usually flip my cars before 150k. Based on what I’ve read on the M-B forums 150k won’t be an issue. That said, if the PHEV M5 Touring comes to America all bets are off.
Interesting

December 20th marked one year since I bought my CPO 2020 C43. A few of my friends suspected that I would get bored with it and be ready to move on in short order. As it turns out, nothing could be further from the truth- in fact I like it even more than when I brought it home.

When I picked it up it had 20,975 miles on it; over the past 12 months I added 11,824 miles. Fuel economy ranged from a low of 21.2 mpg to a high of 29.5 mpg. I haven't kept a running tally, but I'd estimate the average mpg is around 25 mpg. Not bad for a car that runs the quarter in 12.6 seconds.

Soon after I bought it the battery began to fail; it was replaced by my dealer under warranty in less than an hour. At 27,000 miles the car called for an A Service; at the same time I replaced the RF tire and had the wheel repaired (due to a large pothole). In addition, the rear pads were replaced as they were close to minimum thickness, but the rotors were still good. I'm hoping that the short pad life was due to the PO's driving environment or driving style. No other issues.

I still think that anyone who complains about the ride of a W205 C43 is delusional; even my 80 year old uncle -a retired Ford employee- thinks the ride is fine. Switching from Comfort to Sport+ makes a huge difference; it's fun to be able to switch from a relaxed cruiser to an engaging sport sedan. Regardless of the mode setting, the handling, the engine response, the throaty exhaust and the driver-focused ergonomics make every drive entertaining.The seats are as comfortable as the sport seats in the BMWs I have owned, if not more so. The handling is very impressive; so far I've run out of courage before I've run out of grip. I have a friend who is a long-time BMW employee; I took him for a ride and he told me that had he been blindfolded he would have guessed he was in a BMW M car.

I love the surround view parking; the Distronic Level 2 autonomy is relaxing on long internet slogs. I appreciate having physical buttons or switches for most every function- and there are several alternative ways to access the functions as well. Siri Eyes Free works flawlessly- a feature BMW phased out. The Burmester audio sounds very good. The Mercedes Me phone app is actually useful, allowing you to remote start, lock/unlock, and send destinations to the navigation system.

I have just a few complaints. The AMG exhaust defaults to quiet on restarts, while annoyingly, the stop/start defaults to on- as does the navigation system voice guidance. The headlamps are great, but lack some of the versatility of the Euro lamps. Looking on the bright side, all of these problems can be addressed with a recode- something I still plan to do. And speaking of plans, work commitments have kept me from taking it to an HPDE or the local 1/8 mile strip.

Bottom line, I can't think of a sedan that does a better job at combining everyday usability with outstanding performance- in a way that perfectly suits my driving stlye. For me, it's a keeper.
Awesome car. AMG really dials it in. I'd love to pick up a C63 AMG with the ( 6.2 V8 shouldn't it have been called the C62) and do a manual transmission swap.

Hello,
Brand new to the forum. Thx for all the posts. I’ve put down a deposit on a 2020 c43 estate (wagon) with a plan to buy and import to the U.S. (Seattle). This car will have to go through a registered dealer/agent as the estate was never homologated for U.S. sales. I have not seen the car in person but looks great in photos and the dealer seems solid and reputable. I love the car and have been dreaming of one for a while. Will be letting go of my E400 coupe that has been a fantastic car but need 4 doors to transport family and love wagons and also like performance. I read some stuff online today slamming the build quality of the c43 but others love the car with few issues. Any guidance from those on this site would be wonderful. The car seems fairly priced but the shipping, importer/agent fees, cost to program the speedometer. and duties make it a rather expensive proposition. I am happy to pay the extras to get my dream car but would be bummed if the car is a mess. Thanks for any feedback.
Jeff from Seattle.

I have no complaints about the build quality of my car. I have heard complaints of a creaking noise from the console area of cars fitted with wood trim. My car has carbon fiber trim and is completely silent.

I have no complaints about the build quality of my car. I have heard complaints of a creaking noise from the console area of cars fitted with wood trim. My car has carbon fiber trim and is completely silent.
Thank you. Mine will come with the black wood trim but I was planning to swap it out for the carbon fiber. I appreciate your quick response. I should finalize the purchase today.

Back