Any sense swapping vehicle

Spending $20k or $35k is some expensive heated seats. There is absolutely no need to pay those costs for reliable transportation w/comforts you want.

It’s a 45-50 minute commute thankfully as I live close to our only east-west highway in state and workplace close too.

Car is only need of $600-700 timing belt (friend) and likely $1000 in suspension work(clunky backing up and turning hard).
That’s what….3 new car payments?

I would not purchase anything until you’re in the role for at least 6 months and get a good lay of the land.

I have a family member who was in a similar situation. Purchased a brand new vehicle because it was “needed” then unfortunately the new job wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. Less than year later right back in another all remote job. After the new vehicle high wore off and the payments were steady rolling out there was a lot of regret.

Once you’re settled in the role then buy something new if you really want it.

You are also up north. Do you need (or want) AWD like you probably have now to get places at different times? Swapping to a smaller more fuel efficient might not get you where you need during those 5-10 days.

My Accord with winter tires gets me through 99% of what I need with 40+ mpg on highway. No luxuries, base model with manual transmission. Perfect for me and my daily commute. If heavier snow is forecasted or I'm taking a trip where I need the space, the AWD Pilot is the choice.

Have $25k in hand to repair/maintain pilot or replace. I bought Pilot for $13k with 70k right when pandemic started expecting to replace in 2-3 years. Prices spiked even with fall off recently!
Tangentially, what is the vehicle needs for the family? I wish I could have justified keeping my truck, instead of trading 2 years ago (traded on new car for wife). I still think I made the right call... but a do-all SUV that gets driven lightly, but pulled out for when I need its utility, is something I miss having.

With 4 drivers I sorta need 4 cars. 3 cars on the road any time, as 2 would probably be a real chore juggling people around. Would keeping this known vehicle around have move value to you than trading towards something else? Backup vehicle or something for the kids?

The point about not knowing the job that you may take is a good one. You might jump ship, only to realize it's not the one you wanted.

Car-Part.com you might be able to find factory leather seats from a wreck and hook up the heaters. Maintenance, new fluids, maybe some Fluid Film or Woolwax under it, some new quieter tires (depending what you have), Spare rims with winter tires for the seasons, VCM disable, any other upgrades like better lighting etc and you'll still be way ahead for the next bunch of years.

The reason I hate the car , some wetness from heavy rain the other day image.jpg

I can live with for now but never ever will buy a car without leather or leatherette again in my life.

The reason I hate the car , some wetness from heavy rain the other day
I still miss my leather heated seats... bit chilly at first, but boy, I'd turn the heat on in Sept and leave on until like May.

I also miss having a power seat in my current car. It's really nice to hit a button and have it slide around. Not sure I want the next car to have memories so that each driver can have their own setting, but it sure would be nice! Anyhow, that's something else to watch for, if you step down into a commuter, will it have the options you want? or are you going to settle, then in a few years, regret and do all you can to move on yet again?

I'd go for a good detailing for the seats to get the dirt out causing the stains or maybe a different seat cover that won't show as much.

Mine, wife and kids preference is cloth seats over leather. Warmer in winter, cooler in summer, don't stick to them or get burned wearing shorts. Also don't slide around them as much which is nice on longer drives constantly adjusting to keep your back against the lumbar. Most factory seats lack the dipped contour to hold you butt in place. Some vehicles like my FIL Jeep Renegade has cloth seats with seat heaters.

Heat your seat but no passenger seat listed if that matters.

LeatherSeats.com

Have $25k in hand to repair/maintain pilot or replace. I bought Pilot for $13k with 70k right when pandemic started expecting to replace in 2-3 years. Prices spiked even with fall off recently!
Even Mo betta! After rehabbing the Pilot you’re still in the black and with 23K in hand ( in case the new job doesn’t work out ) . At only 113,000 miles that Pilot is just broken in! Edit: Just realized you’re asking for affirmation. Never mind.

The reason I hate the car , some wetness from heavy rain the other dayView attachment 189936

I can live with for now but never ever will buy a car without leather or leatherette again in my life.
If you’re utterly sick of the vehicle and have the cash for it (as you stated) then get something different if you like…. Some folks on here are into hyper-saving, meaning they’ll save for the sake of saving alone. Which is fine but that isn’t for everyone. Money is tool and tools are meant to be used. If you have the cash and it is earmarked for a vehicle (not emergency savings, investment money, retirement savings, living expenses, etc.) then do not hesitate to use it. Life is too short to be unhappy.

I hope you do know that if you keep the pilot with that many miles it is really due for the timing belt ( it's an interference engine and if the belt goes it takes the engine with it), water pump, valve adjustment, spark plugs, O2 sensors, serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner, and the thermostat in the cooling system, and of course new antifreeze (Honda says to only do a drain and fill do not flush it with any chemicals because they leave ions in your system that leads to corrosion, use only the Honda premix, because you do not get all the old antifreeze out when you do a drain and fill from then on you should be doing drains and fill every 5 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first), clean mass air flow sensor, the air pressure sensor, and the throttle body.

You can buy original Honda parts online, and some dealers have a deal going where you can order the parts at a specific website with online pricing and pick it up at the dealer for much less than what you would pay if you just walk into the dealer. Don't forget to buy the gaskets.

Rock Auto sells original NGK spark plugs. You want to get the double iridium. Do not buy them from Amazon because there's too many knockoffs that will break and the electrode will fall down into the cylinder and scratch the cylinder wall.

Last edited:
The reason I hate the car , some wetness from heavy rain the other day

looks like they need a good cleaning with a heated sprayer/vac
Put in heated seat cover?

Camry or sonata hybrid?

Drive a paid for 2015 Honda Pilot base model with 113k that gets 21mpg.

I am considering a hybrid job role requiring 100 mile highway round trip daily commute 5 days/month. Balance remote. It potentially may increase to two weeks a month.

Like comfort/capacity of Pilot except lack of heated seats and yucky fabric seats that show any stain including water.

Considering comfortable 4 door sedan with 40 mpg+ highway / under $20k used or $35k max new only other requirement heated leather/leatherette. Pilot worth about $10.5k.

Any justification yet?
1 year after the job works out consider your upgrade. You may work this position and hate it.

Buying a more fuel efficient vehicle seems like false economy, once every expense related to that additional vehicle is considered. I'd keep the Pilot. Our 2009 is coming up to 200k miles soon, and is still very comfy and gets same MPG (I do have VCM disabled).
The only way it does make sense to me, is to sell the Pilot and find a more fuel efficient vehicle for whatever money you get out of the Pilot. Like a used Prius V, with leather heated seats. It's the biggest Prius ever made, so you're not giving up too much capacity compared to a sedan. And you should still see over 45MPG pretty effortlessly.
Anyways, good luck, weight all the PROs and CONs. @demarpaint makes a valid point as well.
The only way I feel fuel economy comes into play with a new vehicle is if you were going to buy a vehicle anyway and chose the more economical option at that point and the price was comparable or less than your other options. Buying a vehicle to specifically spend less on fuel rarely works out when you consider the additional cost of the new vehicle and lost value of a traded in/sold vehicle replaced.

As said here, if you want a new vehicle because you want to get a new vehicle and decide to get a much more efficient option, I'd have a hard time seeing an issue with that. You're getting other desired things in return for the cost of the vehicle.

The reason I hate the car , some wetness from heavy rain the other dayView attachment 189936

I think you've got a bit of dirt in them to stain like that with some water? Get them cleaned and probably you'll have a couple years of stain freeness. Or get a better seat from the wreckers. I had heated leatherette seats but I don't really miss them with the fabric seats now, they seem to be self heated enough.

Does this car have a sunroof? I thought it was a base model.
It has steel rims :) no sunroof, the wetness was transferred from my wet jeans into seat and looks like that.

Honda is really annoying in base , they don’t even have keyed on headlights however if you leave them on I guess to expensive to remove the 10 mins auto off feature.

Back