How dumb would buying a 2013 Chrysler 200 be?

I would take a look at it, if you can do stuff like swap suspension parts? Check the fluids, look under the hood, if everything is dry and tight it might've been taken care of, and see how it drives. Any red flag though, bail on it.
One that was maintained and adult driven could be reasonable. I see lots of that era Avengers still on the road?
Also it sounds like you could get a deal if it checks out.

I don't think the 200 and facelifted Avenger are bad. The 3.6 is a great engine, it turns these into a rocket ship. What's wrong with the 2.4? I hated the cheap interiors on the Sebring and early Avengers, but they actually made them pretty nice on the 2011+

Screenshot 2023-08-14 150125.jpg

I went to look at a different car and the salesman encouraged me to drive what he said was the real sleeper deal on the lot. A 2013 Chrysler 200 with 145k miles. Cosmetics were ok and the interior could use a good scrubbing but mechanically it seemed to run fine. It has the 2.4L engine and a six speed automatic. I could probably get it for $3500 all in.

Everything in my DNA tells me to never, ever, ever own another Chrysler product. Could this be an exception? I’ve done a bit of reading this afternoon and can’t find a lot of feedback on this car either way.
Sorry for the typos:

Every car is a good deal depending on the price.
I belive sometimes the human brain is too binary when judging risk.

Does the 200 have a good repuation?
No.
This is why its book value is depressed over other cars in its class with the same year/miles.
BUT I belive the way the market works it may be more depressed than obejctive realities justify.

Car in Point:
A 2008 4 Runner will book for much much more than my 2008 Nissan Pathfinder.
Yet my car is equally reliable, quicker and generally fucntionally identical.
Has a better combined 4WD/AWD tranfer case too whuch was only introduced years later with Toyota .
All because the perceived reliability advantage.
What is the real relaibility advanatage though?
2 % less repair cost on average per year? 1%? 4% ?
Yet the car books for 40% less.

A honda accord with same year miles as your example would likely cost double, yet functionally be an identical car.

So I guess the point I am making is this:
The human brain greatly inflates even small differences in reliabiltiy risk between cars brands/models and as a result these cars are not 2-3% cheaper in the market asthey ratioanlly should be when repair costs are averaged out, but 30% + and therefore a good deal.
For that samem oney in a Civic you'd probbaly have to go 8 years older.

So if the car fulfills your requirements at a price level much lower than anyone else and as a result you cna afford it, its likely a good deal since the year miles/ equivalent Accord/Camry that would meet with great approval on this site, would cost at least double, perhaps even more.

We had a pair of 4 cyl Avengers of this generation in the fleet at work and they actually held up pretty well.
They were not bad to drive and were certainly much roomier than an Accord/Camry.
Not recommending that you buy this car, but they aren't necessarily as bad as some would say.
Still, maybe the collective is right and this car should be a hard pass at the asking.

I’m joining the chorus on the 200: walk away and don’t look back.

Salesman wants it gone because he can’t convince anyone to take it. Once it’s sold he doesn’t have to work hard to move it anymore.

My sister had one. She bought it without my input because the Ford dealer had it in on trade and convinced her (and let’s be honest, her car-inexperienced husband) that it was a good car. It was not. I can repair and maintain a car to be reliable enough, but this one is just poorly made. She got rid of it for a Captiva (again, I was not asked on that buy) 🫣.

I’m guessing from the feedback you’ve gotten the salesman is going to be pushing that 200 on some unsuspecting buyer for a while longer. 😎

Reactions: hrv
Back