How dumb would buying a 2013 Chrysler 200 be?

I went to look at a different car and the salesman encouraged me to drive what he said was the real sleeper deal on the lot. A 2013 Chrysler 200 with 145k miles. Cosmetics were ok and the interior could use a good scrubbing but mechanically it seemed to run fine. It has the 2.4L engine and a six speed automatic. I could probably get it for $3500 all in.

Everything in my DNA tells me to never, ever, ever own another Chrysler product. Could this be an exception? I’ve done a bit of reading this afternoon and can’t find a lot of feedback on this car either way.

I went to look at a different car and the salesman encouraged me to drive what he said was the real sleeper deal on the lot. A 2013 Chrysler 200 with 145k miles. Cosmetics were ok and the interior could use a good scrubbing but mechanically it seemed to run fine. It has the 2.4L engine and a six speed automatic. I could probably get it for $3500 all in.

Everything in my DNA tells me to never, ever, ever own another Chrysler product. Could this be an exception? I’ve done a bit of reading this afternoon and can’t find a lot of feedback on this car either way.
Pass....

Most people label me as a MOPAR guy and I will tell you also to pass. The first generation Chrysler 200 had a lot of teething problems (was designed during the Cerberus ownership days). It had so many issues that Sergio Marchroni had a special team formed just to fix all of the issues before they would start on the second gen design (2015-2017).

Last edited:
Can you say suspension problems? Had a family member go through a couple control arm bushings and then there was that exhaust manifold gasket leak. Maybe it was a one of but I would avoid it.

Listen to your DNA

Drove one as a rental car through a hilly area. Trans made me nuts - never seemed to be in the right gear, just hunted constantly.

Most people label me as a MOPAR guy and I will tell you also to pass. The first generation Chrysler 200 had a lot of teething problems (was designed during the Cerberus ownership days). It had so many issues that Sergio Marchroni had a special team formed just to fix all of the issues before they would start on the second gen design (2015-2017).
and they were still bad....

Get it down to 2700 and drive it hard to see if the trans does anything at all then maybe. Could last you another 50k so it might be worth it, i assume the AC blows cold and all or almost all the electronics inside work. Just check the coolant reservoir and oil color after a decent and hard drive. Don't want a head gasket issue.

Walk away! My parents have managed good use from their Town & Country but my dad has done alot of work on it. If it was a dealership repair it would have been very expensive to own.

I went to look at a different car and the salesman encouraged me to drive what he said was the real sleeper deal on the lot. A 2013 Chrysler 200 with 145k miles.

That's freakin' hilarious. That's car salesmen speak for, "Our used car manager is giving an extra cash bonus to anyone who can move this turd!"
I know, I worked in car sales before....

Back