Electric lawn mowers

So, despite my careful labeling of all my batteries, my first hand experience using 12+ year old batteries daily, you just dismiss my claim as not believable?

Well, you live in an alternate reality from mine, so, good luck.
Then the batteries I had were either a different type of battery, or were very poor quality...I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just thought you guys were mistaken about the age of your batteries. Sounds like these newer batteries last quite a while...

I didn't call you a liar, but definitely thought your were mistaken about the age of your battery. I apologize if I gave the impression of calling you a liar...
Grampi, thanks for your apology - I do appreciate it. I have a good (some might say freakish) memory for dates and figures and so am not often wrong about stuff like this, but you had no way of knowing that.

The three batteries (form factor like those of a motorcycle battery) are hardwired in place (i.e. not modular as with electric drills, etc.) and would be a pain to remove. Therefore, if I had ever replaced them, I'd remember doing so.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the longevity of the batteries. My yard is small, and so the batteries may be down to half capacity or worse, but still work fine.

Not for everyone, obviously, but a good fit for my application.

Then the batteries I had were either a different type of battery, or were very poor quality...I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just thought you guys were mistaken about the age of your batteries. Sounds like these newer batteries last quite a while...
You're right about the old Ni-Cads - they were problematic. The newer battery technologies are far superior.

For those who want a stroll down memory lane, here are those old school batteries that some folks are thinking about.

2AD79E3A-A125-4BC0-9A14-FC58F43813A9.png

I'm a small gas engine fan, which is obvious from my avatar and the fact that I run a small engine repair side business. I don't know anyone who "hates" battery tools. I love them, and own several. I have air tools, but my every day use stuff is all battery, a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee. I think the progression of battery tools is an awesome thing, and having more choices is great. Battery tools are a better solution for many people, those who have small property to maintain, those who don't want to mess with gas engines, etc.

What I don't like is the "we will decide what is better for you" government mentality such as California's ban on gas power equipment sales. Battery is not an end-all solution, maybe years in the future, but not with the current technology. Anyone who argues that doesn't maintain large property in the middle of nowhere or run a commercial business where re-fueling time is critical to productivity. For the average homeowner with a postage stamp sized yard? Sure, it works for many people. The progression of technology should dictate people's choices. We chose the car over the horse because it was faster and more efficient. Battery is that for some cases, but not everything yet.

I'm a small gas engine fan, which is obvious from my avatar and the fact that I run a small engine repair side business. I don't know anyone who "hates" battery tools. I love them, and own several. I have air tools, but my every day use stuff is all battery, a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee. I think the progression of battery tools is an awesome thing, and having more choices is great. Battery tools are a better solution for many people, those who have small property to maintain, those who don't want to mess with gas engines, etc.

What I don't like is the "we will decide what is better for you" government mentality such as California's ban on gas power equipment sales. Battery is not an end-all solution, maybe years in the future, but not with the current technology. Anyone who argues that doesn't maintain large property in the middle of nowhere or run a commercial business where re-fueling time is critical to productivity. For the average homeowner with a postage stamp sized yard? Sure, it works for many people. The progression of technology should dictate people's choices. We chose the car over the horse because it was faster and more efficient. Battery is that for some cases, but not everything yet.
Great post! The main reason I still like the gas powered mowers, snow blowers, etc., is because I'm a gear head and I like changing oil, filters, fluids, plugs...I enjoy doing this type of maintenance on all of my gas powered vehicles/equipment. I can definitely see the advantages of electric, and my next mower will probably be electric. I'd like to make this mower last long enough for the battery technology to improve to the point of even longer lasting, and less expensive batteries...

I’m not opposed to battery powered OPE, but banning gas powered equipment is government overreach. Eliminating choices is never good.
And once they are gone, it will be hard to get them back.

Also, the ban of new sales is likely just a start, they can and most likely will ban the use of gas powered OPE as well in the future. Then, what’s stopping the gov from confiscation, fines, jailing the people that disobey?

I’m not opposed to battery powered OPE, but banning gas powered equipment is government overreach. Eliminating choices is never good.
And once they are gone, it will be hard to get them back.

Also, the ban of new sales is likely just a start, they can and most likely will ban the use of gas powered OPE as well in the future. Then, what’s stopping the gov from confiscation, fines, jailing the people that disobey?

I'm of the same mind. I have battery powered tools and they generally work well. Once the government guns get involved, I'm no longer supportive.

I like small engines, especially 2 stroke. They have a certain charm to them. I like good ones though. Not some crappy weak home depot special.

Until they catch on fire. It's not just vehicles and Samsung phones. It's electric bikes and other Lithium battery devices as well.
Boeing had a big problem with Li-ion batteries which I believe delayed the launch of the 787. I'm not sure they got that completely solved - I think they encapsulated the batteries so that if the batteries went into thermal runaway the consequences would not be catastrophic.

A few years ago my wife's old smartphone got dangerously hot. The battery was not (non- destructively) removable, so I put the phone outside. There are (rare) advantages to having such cold winters.

As far as my mower, the batteries are sealed lead-acid. Old technology, but reliable so far.

I let my lawn go to moss and clover. Didn't take the gasoline Briggs mower out at all this year. Probably won't start now.
But I am in a log cabin on a hill with a State forest preserve just behind me.

No Pleasant Vally Sunday planned "false Eden" community for me.

I have come to recognise the silliness of it all; seems so "1958"

I do miss a friendly game of Croquet on Sunday with the family, though

You're right about the old Ni-Cads - they were problematic. The newer battery technologies are far superior.

I will defend Ni-Cds. If they didn't have such poor energy density they'd continue to be a great option.

Ni-Cds in particular have ridiculous cycle lives(1000-2000 rated cycles is common for high quality cells) and are relatively tolerant of abuse like overcharging. They also age relatively gracefully, and I can show 30+ year old ones that still retain a lot of their initial performance.

There are flooded Ni-Cd type battery, usually used in stationary applications, that can have similar longevity to lead acid.

NiMH effectively replaced Ni-Cd because it can easily manage 1.5x the capacity for a given size/form factor and 3x sometimes isn't a stretch(in AA size, for example, the best NiCds you will likely find is 1000mAh, and you'd be hard pressed to find an AA NiMH smaller than 1600mAh. 2000mAh is common in AA NiMH, and 2400-2800mAh is not unheard of for high performance). It's a lot more sensitive to proper charging and even the best might be rated for 500 cycles with perfect charging. 200-300 is a lot more common. NiMH also, as a whole, tends to have higher internal resistance(not always relevant, but can be) than NiCd and also higher self discharge rates.

Both battery technologies need an occasional deep cycle, and both can have issues with the "memory effect", but that is easily cleared with a deep cycle.

Lithium ion is the king when it comes to energy density both for size and weight(lead acid can come close on size, but is much heavier). It also has much lower self discharge than any of the other common battery technologies save for lead acid(which still comes out on top). Newer batteries are better as far as cycle life, although for a while 300 in even the best was pushing it(some laptop batteries are now rated to 1000 cycles/80% design capacity). Li-ion is a LOT fussier about charging, though, and overcharging can kill cells quickly or even cause fires that are hard to put out. They don't like deep cycling, but are more tolerant of it than lead acid. Really, though, they thrive if they "live" between 20 and 80% charge levels. They are more sensitive to overheating than most other technologies.

There's no perfect battery, although Lithium Ion is a good choice for a lot of portable devices especially where you care about capacity...

How many times have you run over and cut the cord? (LOL) :unsure: :D

Or worse yet tripped over it?

ER near by?

No trees or bushes to maneuver around? Nothing worse than a cord in the way.
Never in my tiny yard. Why do I have to get a gas or battery mower? I'm fine with my corded one. I don't object people buying gas or battery powered ones but I think if you don't need the battery or the gas, just corded one and mow around the tree correctly, it is not hard, anyone who looked at his lawn for a few minutes could figure out the route.

So how does a person know if they're getting good quality batteries, or not so good ones when buying an electric lawn mower?
Like any other products, buy from a reputable company and do online research of the model. There are junks in all sorts of products, including gas engine in lawn mowers and auto transmission in cars.

Never in my tiny yard. Why do I have to get a gas or battery mower? I'm fine with my corded one. I don't object people buying gas or battery powered ones but I think if you don't need the battery or the gas, just corded one and mow around the tree correctly, it is not hard, anyone who looked at his lawn for a few minutes could figure out the route.

I used the same corded mower for around 16 years when I lived in a townhouse. I occasionally still use it to mow in places where the riding mower can't.

I like small engines, especially 2 stroke. They have a certain charm to them. I like good ones though. Not some crappy weak home depot special.
They stink like crazy. This is how a lot of Asian cities got super bad air because of those 2 wheeled 2 stroke scooters.

Back