Did we reach peak frugality 15 years ago?

In the past, there have been known issues with Honda CVTs
Some years back, even a recall, that some of claimed never fully corrected the problem
Instances of the entire lock up as you drive to broken pulleys. Subject doesn’t interest me as much, but it peaked my curiosity where I did a search..

So there is some truth to the issues in early generation models. This can happen with any vehicle on any particular part, but in this case skepticism about Honda CVT’s is well deserved and if it was some other well-known brand, I don’t think would be cut as much slack.

And just use your favorite search engine using these words =
honda civic cvt problems

Some years back, even a recall, that some of claimed never fully corrected the problem
Instances of the entire lock up as you drive to broken pulleys. Subject doesn’t interest me as much, but it peaked my curiosity where I did a search..

So there is some truth to the issues in early generation models. This can happen with any vehicle on any particular part, but in this case skepticism about Honda CVT’s is well deserved and if it was some other well-known brand, I don’t think would be cut as much slack.

honda civic cvt problems
Rational information. Thank you.

But not relevant to our discussion. Recent models, I can go back to maybe 2016, but really recent models should be 2018. 5-6 year cars, even 7-8 year Honda and Toyota cars are NOT having CVT problems.

The idea of spending $225-$300 for a service call didn't make sense.
It does when it´s under warranty! I had a warranty issue on my fridge, circulation fan would randomly shut off... causing fridge to be warm. New circulation fan was the answer. Entire bill was near one grand, for two visits of the service man, and this was before Bidenomics inflation took off.

honda civic cvt problems

It's interesting that in that link it says the year with the most transmission problems is the 2001, that was well before they switched to the CVT. And the recall was only for the first couple of years after they introduced the CVT and they quickly sorted things out because ever since the tenth gen came out in 2016 the CVT hasn't been a trouble spot. That's one thing you can count on when it comes to Hondas and Toyotas, they know how to build cars to last. It's why I keep buying Civics, I can drive them for many years without spending a single dime on repairs.

It's interesting that in that link it says the year with the most transmission problems is the 2001, that was well before they switched to the CVT. And the recall was only for the first couple of years after they introduced the CVT and they quickly sorted things out because ever since the tenth gen came out in 2016 the CVT hasn't been a trouble spot. That's one thing you can count on when it comes to Hondas and Toyotas, they know how to build cars to last. It's why I keep buying Civics, I can drive them for many years without spending a single dime on repairs.
Your glossing over 2014 to 2015 I guess in trying to make a point. I have nothing against Civics at all. Think my sister handed one down to her son a long time ago, older one too, he finally got rid of it at 300,000 miles
I just like to be accurate, it wasnt just 2001 but also significant issues in 2014/15 mentioned in the first paragraph of that link I provided.

Your glossing over 2014 to 2015 I guess in trying to make a point. I have nothing against Civics at all. Think my sister handed one down to her son a long time ago, older one too, he finally got rid of it at 300,000 miles
Those seem like the years "something" got figured out. Before that CVT's had issues, after that they didn't. Either "side" could include or exclude those fuzzy years............see what I'm saying?

I just like to be accurate, it wasnt just 2001 but also significant issues in 2014/15 mentioned in the first paragraph of that link I provided.

It's not that I'm glossing over those early years, but I did mention that Honda quickly figured things out and by the third year of using the CVT they had things figured out. That's pretty impressive IMO. It also illustrates why it's often a good idea to wait a few model years after a manufacturer introduces any kind of major change like that.

You could also provide proof that CVTs are a frequently a disaster waiting to happen. But neither side really can
All we have are complaint rates. I get that. MTTF as a hard number? Not sure we can ever see that, and of course newer vehicles may not have issues until later. It's just that it seems like currently the complaint rate is low.

The people who sold their 2013 Accord to one of my daughters didn't even know it had a CVT! My daughter drove it for 8+ more years. No CVT issues. That car had unrelated brake issues though. Finally I just replaced just about everything on all four corners and brakes were good after that.

Back