Did we reach peak frugality 15 years ago?

A few years ago I advised my daughter to buy a Samsung TV (58"). It lasted 2 years and with her and her husband both working it didn't have constant use either. I've heard many stories since about Samsung being junk. My 4 year old Samsung cell phone just bit the dust...people could hear me but I couldn't hear them. I finally got an I-phone. I now avoid Samsung and pretty much anything else made in Korea....China too... which is hard to do these days.
LG appliances might be slight better than Samsung appliances.

But, please don't be the one to find out.

I detest the fact that these POS swept in.

Consumers won't stop buying them, even though there a level of hate for Samsung at least.

Consumers won't stop buying them, even though there a level of hate for Samsung at least.
Are Samsung monitors garbage? I was contemplating buying a second one, the one I have seems to work ok.

Are Samsung monitors garbage? I was contemplating buying a second one, the one I have seems to work ok.

They're not too bad. The high end ones are popular to gamers but their "general" ones are just about equal to other screens. I'd be comfortable with getting a second one.

They're not too bad. The high end ones are popular to gamers but their "general" ones are just about equal to other screens. I'd be comfortable with getting a second one.
Great, thanks. Not a gamer but I do a lot of CAD work and a decent monitor is, well, nice. I don't work fast so refresh rate isn't a problem. ;)

I have a Whirlpool side by side (2011) where the water filter housing started leaking about a year ago. The idea of spending $225-$300 for a service call didn't make sense. I just removed the water filter and no more leak. Well this thread got me thinking and I hit YT last night to see how hard it would be to do the job myself. OMG it's an easy 10 minute repair, at most, and the part is $75. The refrigerator works perfect so it's well worth fixing.

Sometimes individual electronics modules for washers, stoves, etc can be a significant fraction of the original purchase price of the entire appliance. Not uncommon to see relatively new appliances scrapped because the repair parts are 75% of what a new appliance costs.
No doubt. But folks tend to get a several year warranty on new appliances which have to be fixed or replaced one way of the other. If out of warranty, the repair often makes no sense to do

That's a very rare occurance though. Ask any Honda tech how many Civic CVT issues they have seen come through their shop and they will say very very few. It's a very reliable unit.
I've heard statements on this forum regarding late model Volvo's too.
Does it mean it's completely true? of course not.

It's a CVT.
Regardless of who made it or how it was maintained, it's not nearly as reliable as a conventional automatic.
Making blanket statements like "The CVT in the Honda Civic is extremely reliable" is therefore false.

Last edited:
That's a very rare occurance though. Ask any Honda tech how many Civic CVT issues they have seen come through their shop and they will say very very few. It's a very reliable unit.
Then ask about the first gen HR-V and you'll get a very different answer.

I had a nice LG fridge crap out on me after a short time; maybe a few years? I got another KitchenAid which has always been good to me.

It's a CVT.
Regardless of who made it or how it was maintained, it's not nearly as reliable as a conventional automatic.
Making blanket statements like "The CVT in the Honda Civic is extremely reliable" is therefore false.

I stand by what I said. It's failure rate is very low.

It's a CVT.
People keep saying this with ZERO proof.

Please prove your statement

My thoughts exactly! He's telling me that I'm wrong but he has nothing to back himself up. I have a Civic. It has the CVT. I've been paying very close attention to the forums and Facebook groups since I got this car and based on that I know for a fact that the CVT in the Civic is not a problem area whatsoever. It's very rare when someone reports having a problem and there are a lot of these cars with very very high mileage on them.

I proved my statement with a forum post above.
Other than that, just do a simple google search of CVT failures. You'll see them from several manufacturers.
What further proof do you need?

My thoughts exactly! He's telling me that I'm wrong but he has nothing to back himself up. I have a Civic. It has the CVT. I've been paying very close attention to the forums and Facebook groups since I got this car and based on that I know for a fact that the CVT in the Civic is not a problem area whatsoever. It's very rare when someone reports having a problem and there are a lot of these cars with very very high mileage on them.
look above at my other reply for your proof.
You provided me no proof other than anecdotal observations you've observed from other random sources.

look above at my other reply for your proof.
You provided me no proof other than anecdotal observations you've observed from other random sources.

You call posting about ONE CAR your proof?

:LOL:

I don't know what else to tell you, other than the fact that you don't have a Civic and I do, so I'm clearly more in tune with what's happening with this CVT than you are. Mine is flawless at 232,000 km. Do you have one? I didn't think so.

You call posting about ONE CAR your proof?

:LOL:

I don't know what else to tell you, other than the fact that you don't have a Civic and I do, so I'm clearly more in tune with what's happening with this CVT than you are. Mine is flawless at 232,000 km. Do you have one? I didn't think so.
No, there's many instances of CVT failures. Honda included.
Are you having issues with reading comprehension or just being obtuse for fun?

I'm done discussing this with you.
Clearly you aren't interested in logic, reason or making accurate statements to better anyone's experience on this forum.

No, there's many instances of CVT failures. Honda included.
Are you having issues with reading comprehension or just being obtuse for fun?

I'm done discussing this with you.
Clearly you aren't interested in logic, reason or making accurate statements to better anyone's experience on this forum.

You haven't proven anything to the forum at all. Where is this proof of MANY INSTANCES of Civic CVT failures? I'm glad that you're done discussing this. Clearly you've realized you are wrong and have ZERO PROOF.

Back