Electric lawn mowers

Great heavens. So much angst. So much fear. So much hand-wringing.

How do you buy anything? How do you know your car is any good? Appliances? Cell phone? Computer?

I don’t wish I had that messy old gas mower back. Not one bit. I have eliminated all of the maintenance for yard equipment. Hedge trimmer. Leaf blower. String trimmer. Mower.

Pick them up, push the button and go. No starting. No fuss.

No gasoline to be bought or stored. No maintenance required. Sharpen a blade, now and then, load some string now and then. That’s it. It’s great! So easy. I spend a lot less time on equipment maintenance, and repair, and more time doing things that I enjoy more.

Hope was not my strategy, and fear of the unknown wasn’t an impediment.

This is a smaller purchase than a cell phone. Much smaller than a car. Do your research. Make your choice.
I'm not the originator of the claim that batteries only last 2 years, I'm just the messenger. However, I don't believe the claims of them lasting 10-14 years. I've had tools that use these rechargeable batteries and none of them have lasted anywhere near that long...maybe 3-5 years max...

I have no desire to go to an electric mower. I use a 27 year old mower around the house. In the years I have replaced one wheel, one carburetor and one starter cord. I paid $99.00 for the mower and have spent about $80.00 in repair and maintenance.

It does seem like people that own them tend to be happy with them. Hard to say how the sentiment on a site like this compares to consumers overall. My guess is that most people just want something that works and they don't much care how it is powered.

I'm not the originator of the claim that batteries only last 2 years, I'm just the messenger. However, I don't believe the claims of them lasting 10-14 years. I've had tools that use these rechargeable batteries and none of them have lasted anywhere near that long...maybe 3-5 years max...
I am the originator of the claim that my mower has the original batteries, which I believe are 14 years old now.

Furthermore, I've seen 129 V station and 48 V telecom back-up systems well over 30 years old. (I know, they're indoor stationary systems, so not subject to vibration, shock, or temperature extremes, but you did make a sweeping statement about "no battery type in existence".)

Furthermore, I've seen 129 V station and 48 V telecom back-up systems well over 30 years old. (I know, they're indoor stationary systems, so not subject to vibration, shock, or temperature extremes, but you did make a sweeping statement about "no battery type in existence".)

Those are rarely cycled. Seems that one major factor in battery life is the number of charge/discharge cycles.

Those are rarely cycled. Seems that one major factor in battery life is the number of charge/discharge cycles.
You're absolutely right.

I used the extreme example to try rebut the OP's unqualified statement that no batteries can last beyond a few years. (I usually try to let stuff go, but there was something about being called a liar that got to me ...)

I have replaced my two-stroke yard tools (chainsaw, weedwhacker) with battery powered ones and so far, have been happy. Me and two-stroke gear have never gotten along. I'm pretty sure the Bahia grass in my yard would laugh at any battery powered mower in my price range. I know the price of (good) electric mowers will eventually come down. Until then, it's gas for the win.

Something not mentioned amongst the battery-fearful is that gas OPE contributes tremendously to air (and noise) pollution. When reading about California's pending law the article noted that the OPE in the state is responsible for as much air pollution as all the cars. An hour running a mower producing as much smog contribution as driving a Camry 300 miles. So it's not like they're doing this for jollies. Unless you're one of those people yearning for the "good old days"...

I used the extreme example to try rebut the OP's unqualified statement that no batteries can last beyond a few years. (I usually try to let stuff go, but there was something about being called a liar that got to me ...)

Years ago I had a ni-cad pack that was already 10 years old when I got it, it had a 12V cigarette lighter socket on it, intended to power a video camera and VCR back in the days when they were two separate units (before they had camcorders). It worked fine when I got it, and still worked when I tried it several years after that. I guess it was the 1980s version of what we today call a "power bank". I just used it to power a CB radio walkie talkie.

So, despite my careful labeling of all my batteries, my first hand experience using 12+ year old batteries daily, you just dismiss my claim as not believable?

Well, you live in an alternate reality from mine, so, good luck.

6 years with my Ryobi 40v mower and the battery is fine. Haven't even sharpened the blade.

A new battery is $127, less than a trip to the lawnmower repair shop to have the carb rebuilt after forgetting to use Sta-bil over the winter.
I was wrong on the year I bought my mower, found the date. 6/25/2018, so going on 5.5 years.

Lithium batteries are very different than NiMH batteries.

What I'm seeing is that most people who've switched from gas to battery powered lawn equipment talk positive about it.

I was unsure what to expect when I made the leap from 2 cycle to battery garden tools. But it has absolutely been a positive choice.

Part of what helped me decide to make the change was reading all the experiences of those here on BITOG. I have learned those here on BITOG, who I can trust to give honest, unbiased advice.

“ These rechargeable batteries”. It’s time we clarified which batteries we are talking about. This discussion should be about lithium ion batteries. Nickel metal hydride batteries are old man crap, and aren’t worth including in the discussion of people’s experience. If folks aren’t sure what they have just post a close up photo. None of my lithium ion batteries have failed and the oldest one has been in service for 6 years.

Here is something from Milwaukee Tools. They apparently were the first ones out with Lithium Ion Tools in 2005. Anything prior to that includes old school batteries. We don’t care about those. It’s old technology.

2FC9A13A-CC7A-4ECC-BC3E-3A19CB8AC54F.jpeg

You're absolutely right.

I didn't call you a liar, but definitely thought your were mistaken about the age of your battery. I apologize if I gave the impression of calling you a liar...

Back