How Old Is Your Lawn Mower(s)?? And How Many Hours Approximately?

I have a Troy Bilt with a 140CC B&S engine that is 10 year old. It was the cheapest mower Lowes had the day I needed one. I change the oil, spark plug and sharpen the blade every spring. The only thing I touch outside of that is the air filter as needed - usually a couple a summer. E0 fuel only - ever.

My lawn takes about an hour and we have a long growing season here - already mowed twice, end around Halloween - so lets call it 35 hours a year, so maybe 350 hours total give or take? I have never had to touch anything else on it. Knock on wood.

Honda HHR216 Mower, Got in 2018. Probably has 200 to 250 hours on it

Change the oil when I remember, never touched the spark plug. Only runs on 6+ month old E15 rotated out of gan cans

Mine must be at least 20 years old. It's a Craftsman Eager 1 lawnmower. They built so many of these things that when all the Volvo 240s finally succumb to Father Time these will still be out there next to the junkyard putting green.

One of my customers who owned a small engine shop sold it to me for $100 back in 2011. I may buy a spare at some point.

1711678314582.jpg

HRX 217 going on 10 years, about 150hrs on it I’d estimate.

I change the oil every 2-3 years with what I have on the shelf for my truck, currently Kirkland 5w30.

Changed the air filter once and maybe the plug, can’t remember. Planning to keep running it until it dies, probably won’t be allowed to have such a savage thing as a gas mower before that happens.

I got the mower when I bought the house in 2001. A coworker knew I was looking for one and said there's a used Honda at this Lowes. I went to look at it and it was basically brand new, but dirty. I guess the PO tried to use it on winter rye grass and it didn't cut to his liking. I forget what I paid, but it was a good deal. Honda Harmony II HRT216 SDA. No clue on hours. I actually JUST got the open side chute late last year. Always used 10w30 and did use M1 on the last change.

2018 Husqvarna YTH 22v46. 22 hp B&S w/ 46 inch deck. Has 240 hours on it. Oil changed every season along with grease points, plugs and filters every 2 years.

Has needed nothing so far except a new battery this year. The front hub seals are starting to seep so I’ll probably change those out over the winter.

I have a Snapper Hi Vac Self Propelled push mower with a Briggs engine. Was bought in the 90's when Costco was selling them. It is quite old though and I have had to change the pull cord at least 5 times and changed the bag out probably twice now over the years as well as I am on the second Carb and probably the 5th red primer push ball.

The Mower Deck is still in good shape surprisingly for a steel deck. By my quick just now calculation it would have 450 to 500 hours on her.

Last edited:
John Deere x354 riding mower, kawasaki engine. Only 22 hours, It has mowed some rough terrain though and gets abused by myself. It has a surging problem at the moment but it evens out after a short while, I am pretty sure its some kind of air intake leak that goes away when things get hot.

Intake gaskets are a common issue on those, I've seen several come through the shop with the same surging problem.

I have two at the moment. A push Snapper that was given to me several years ago; manual dates to 2001 so it's newer than that. How much I don't know. But I think it was lightly used before I got it, and while I've put a few hours onto it, there's no way to tell.

Cub Cadet LT1052, I think it's a 2005 model. It's an early one, which made it fun, as the mower deck had one year only spindles, so when I lost one, I had to replace all 3, and the blades. Coming up on 300 hours on it. If I was smart I'd pull the deck and paint it, but who knows how long the hydrostat trans will last, it groans quite a bit on any hill. Not sure I want to go back to a push mower on my 2 acres...

Intake gaskets are a common issue on those, I've seen several come through the shop with the same surging problem.
+1

It's a combination of intake gaskets failing and the plastic intake manifold warping from heat. The newer Briggs engines have a metal manifold, but last I checked that improved part was still on backorder.

I've got a 1954 Savage reel mower, no clue on hours. It was my only mower for about 5 years. I bought it from a golf course, so I'd guess plenty of hours. I was given a Murray push mower (it was new) in 1996, I'd guess it has maybe 50 hours of mowing on it. I bought a new 1999 Craftsman GT5000 that has about 750 hours on it. Last I picked up an 88 Bolens/Iseki diesel tractor. It gets used for lots of things in addition to running the finish mower. It has just under 1000 hours on it. All of them are still running fine (knock wood)

My rider is a 22HP/42” Craftsman bought in 2005. It has around 700 hours with only normal wear item replacements except for a sump gasket on the B&S V twin engine. It also has four new tires because the originals became too dry rotted to hold air.

My walk behind is a 6.5HP Lawn Boy self-propelled 10323 bought in 1998. The blade brake/deadman switch cable broke and I removed the mechanism, so to shut it off I close the fuel valve I added. It still starts on the first pull.

My main one I use anymore turned 50 last year.

Lawn Boy 7262, no idea of hours but I probably put 30 on it last year(first year I'd used it as my main). When I bought it, it needed a new ignition coil, or rather I grabbed one off a parts mower(I do have a new one if I ever decide to make that parts mower not-parts). I actually don't think I even touched the carb, although the mower did get a thorough cleaning. I did throw a new blade on it. The one on it was okay, but I prefer the modern single piece design with more lift especially as I find they work better for mulching. As to that end, I threw a mulch fan on also, as even if I'm running side discharge and not the mulch plate, I find that the fan seems to help clear the deck and throw grass a little better(it will throw ~8ft).

This one is a 21" push mower with a magnesium deck. Pretty simple and basic, although it does have electronic ignition.

I have a few other Lawn Boys of this general age around, including 19" models with both the D400 engine(points ignition) and a 19" with a D600 engine. The D400 is a beautifully restored Bricktop that runs great, but I can't bring myself to actually use it. If nothing else, I want to find some used-but-serviceable wheels to put on it, as it currently has NOS never used wheels and I can't bring myself to grass stain them.

2004 Craftsman push mower, 840 hours or so. Replaced a broken rear tire/wheel the other day, starts and runs just fine.

Currently have:
2011 X360 with 454hrs
2009 X540 with 520hrs
2013 toro SR4, probably 200 hours.

Probably have to depart with the x360 soon to make some room. Not that I want to but..

Mine must be at least 20 years old. It's a Craftsman Eager 1 lawnmower. They built so many of these things that when all the Volvo 240s finally succumb to Father Time these will still be out there next to the junkyard putting green.

One of my customers who owned a small engine shop sold it to me for $100 back in 2011. I may buy a spare at some point.

View attachment 210902
Wow that brings back memories. My first push mower back in 1996 or 1997, but mine had the small back wheels and was rear discharge.

That 6.25 HP Tecumseh was revolutionary coming from a 3.5 Briggs flathead. Seems like everyone in the neighborhood had one in the late 90s.

Served us well up through 2004. Front wheels kept breaking on our steep hills, and the carb was flooding out. I was young and not mechanically savvy back then so never attempted a carb rebuild. Swapped to a new Snapper Ninja that we still own with a 7 HP Intek.

2023 vintage Honda self-propelled HRN216 push mower. This is my first Honda after a long line of Yard Machines and Toro mowers that were all junky short term items. I bought it in the fall of 2023, so less than 25 hours I’m guessing. The quality/sturdiness of this mower gives me hope that I’ll have it for a while…

Back