Electric lawn mowers

I took the blade off of my mower today, I have a guy sharpen the blade for me when it needs it. He also runs a small engine repair shop. He said he is going to have more business than he can handle because gas powered lawn mowers are going away. Several lawn mower companies have already discontinued gas powered mowers, replacing them with electric mowers. He said people are going to hold on to their gas powered mowers as long as possible, meaning he'll be doing repairs and rebuilds. He said people are finding out the batteries for these mowers only last about 2 years, then they have to be replaced. Replacement cost is as much as the mower was. Battery technology needs to be better to bring replacement costs down if they're going to shove these things down everyone's throats...

I took the blade off of my mower today, I have a guy sharpen the blade for me when it needs it. He also runs a small engine repair shop. He said he is going to have more business than he can handle because gas powered lawn mowers are going away. Several lawn mower companies have already discontinued gas powered mowers, replacing them with electric mowers. He said people are going to hold on to their gas powered mowers as long as possible, meaning he'll be doing repairs and rebuilds. He said people are finding out the batteries for these mowers only last about 2 years, then they have to be replaced. Replacement cost is as much as the mower was. Battery technology needs to be better to bring replacement costs down if they're going to shove these things down everyone's throats...
My Greenworks mower from Costco has an 8 year warranty

I have a battery-powered Toro push mower. Love it, wouldn't go back to gas.

Bought it in 2009, and it's doing fine on the original batteries.

So if you live in a residential neighborhood and your neighbor is mowing during a football game you want to watch, would you prefer him to use a gas powered mower or a battery mower?
I don't know about other houses but at mine it isn't too noticeable. I was running my generator and I went into a room which is right inside where the generator was running and I couldn't hear it all that much.

So if you live in a residential neighborhood and your neighbor is mowing during a football game you want to watch, would you prefer him to use a gas powered mower or a battery mower?
Trick question, every “football game” I’ve ever seen on TV is nothing but commercials followed by brief periods of action.

But really…. You chose to live in a residential area like that, close your windows or move. I’ll be outside weed whacking my hill at WOT for the next 10 minutes though.

The battery stuff is great if you have less than an acre… in theory. In practice, my buddy who I told “don’t buy that EGO zero turn” and did precisely that is now looking for a gas zero turn 2 years later.

Certain parts are true, in that California is not taking away your existing lawnmover but you won't be able to purchase a new one there. The batteries however last more than two years.

Last edited:
I have my Ryobi for 6 years now without a problem

Some of you guys need to be playing the lottery...6 years out a battery pack...14 years? These are magic batteries, and are defying physics...I've never had a battery pack on anything electric last anywhere near that long...

Some of you guys need to be playing the lottery...6 years out a battery pack...14 years? These are magic batteries, and are defying physics...I've never had a battery pack on anything electric last anywhere near that long...

Have you ever owned a Lithium Ion battery pack or are you thinking about nickel metal hydride?

Last edited:
Back