How Old Is Your Lawn Mower(s)?? And How Many Hours Approximately?

Just curious, how old is your lawn mower (and what lawn mower is it)?? Brand? Push mower, walk behind, riding mower?

I‘ll go first: I have a Troy Bilt 430 push mower, bought in 2008 and still going strong after 16 years. I also have a Toro 20330 Recycler walk behind self propelled mower, bought in 2010 and also going strong after 14 years. Both have Briggs and Stratton L-head engines (both about 190 cc “6.75 torque”) and have plenty of power to get the job done. Each gets roughly 20 or so hours of use per year, so about 320 hours on the TB and about 280 hours on the Toro. I use Amsoil synthetic 5W-30 motor oil on both. I try to change the oil every season but wind up not always doing that.

Honda HRX217 that's 10 months old. It replaced a Honda HRR216 that was about 15 years old. There wasn't anything wrong with the HRR, I just wanted to replace it with another Honda before they stopped manufacturing mowers. Ended up giving it to my nephew and he's using it at his home.

I actually just received the HRX back from a recall repair. Since the first time I started the mower, it'd like to rip your arm off trying to start it. Slowly roll it past the compression stroke and you could give it a good pull. Try and pull through that compression stroke and it'd yank the cord right back. Got a recall notice in the fall that a mis-ground camshaft was the culprit. Took about two weeks at the local Honda shop to get it taken care of. Nice to get it done in the off-season and have it ready to go for the spring.

I have two Honda mowers. The nicer one was a 2018 model HRX something or other self-propelled that I bought in 2019. It has been trouble free. I also have an older Honda that I picked up on Marketplace for $20 for my son. I believe that one is about 15 years old or so. I bought it with the self-propelled feature not working and it was in rough cosmetic shape but ran well. Changed the air filter and spark plug, changed the oil, put on a fresh pull rope, and removed the little gears behind the wheels to make it just a regular push mower. Going into the second season with that one now. It's easy for my son to start it and if he hits a stump or something I'm not out a bunch of money. I have one of their snowblowers too and it has also been a great machine.

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman 42 in 21 HP engine that's 12 years old. No way of knowing the hrs. I use M1 10-30 and change it every 2 years. Oil filter is a MC FL 910s. Only real repair was a head gasket when it was 4 yrs old.

Toro 20462 Super Recycler self propelled walk behind purchased in 1997 with a 5.5 HP B&S GTS engine. It's cut a ton of grass over the years and is still going strong. It sees about an hour of use during the lawn mowing season these days.

My other mower is a Craftsman DYT 4000 (model number 917.275642) riding lawn mower powered by a B&S 18.5 HP Intek Plus engine that we purchased in the fall of 2005.

Both get oil changes on or about the holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, & Labor Day) during the lawn mowing season, and get a steady diet of Havoline 10w30 Deposit Shield motor oil.

I bought a Craftsman push mower powered by a Honda 160 back in 2004, so it's 20 years old. Still going strong. Over the years I've replaced the carburetor and spark plug, and changed the oil a few times, but that's about it. I used to mow about 3 acres of grass with it, so it's got a lot of hours.

I bought a Craftsman push mower powered by a Honda 160 back in 2004, so it's 20 years old. Still going strong. Over the years I've replaced the carburetor and spark plug, and changed the oil a few times, but that's about it. I used to mow about 3 acres of grass with it, so it's got a lot of hours.
3 acres with a push mower?

2012 Craftsman lawn tractor 17.5 hp

No idea how many hours, honestly don't care,as long as it's cutting the grass 😂

I bought it used for 500$. I rebuilt the mower deck, repainted it etc. When I decide to retire it, I'll get an battery powered riding mower.

I change the oil, Royal Purple hps 5w30 each season. I also change the fuel filter as well in the Spring.

1711337889268.jpeg

It's from the 90s. Estimate 300-400 hours. Never apart, untouched carb, completely trouble free ownership on e10 it's entire life.

So ironic that a Tecumseh has been the most reliable piece of OPE I've ever owned or used. I'd love to find a new deck for it.

These are both 1998 model JD JX75, Kawasaki 160V 6.5 HP with a TT 5 speed transmission and blade brake clutch. Both still run great and usually start on the first pull. My 1998 JD Lx188 with the liquid cooled Kawasaki 501v still runs great after 26 years and an estimated 2,000 hours. No major repairs on either machine.

IMG_0913.jpeg

KIMG0150.jpeg

KIMG0149.jpeg

A craftsman from 2000. Still goes and burns oil. Forgot the name of the engine. I know they love to burn oil though….

My last mower was a Murry with a B&S motor I bought when I bought the house, 25 years later it was still running when I gave it to the young couple that bought the house probably 15-20 hrs/year depending on rainfall, new mower is a 2001 Kubota B7500 with 980 hrs with 60" belly deck towing a 48" Swisher offset mower.

Don't have one. Use a bush hog on my skid steer once or twice a summer and roundup.

Get more use out of a plow than mower here. Mowing season is 5 months at most

I'll be running my TryoBilt with Honda GCV 160 for the 16th summer. I figure that the mower has ~ 430 hours on it now and will have 30 more hours by Autumn.

I have an old Toro rear bagger from the 70's and a Bolens 1253 garden tractor from 1972. Lost track of the hours in 1980.....

I have a Honda 216 something another self propelled. I use it about an hour per mow and I mow on average 30 times a year. My parents bought this for us when we moved into our home in 2013. So I’d say 300 hours. I change the oil every other season with 10w30 usually Pennzoil conventional. Yesterday I was supposed to do it but I got involved in other things.

2009 Honda Harmony push mower with GCV160 engine. It cut the entire lawn from 2009 through 2014 and has since been relegated to trim service. It has an estimated 600 hours. Oil has been 10w-30 M1 HM as long as I can remember.

2015 John Deere D140 with 48 inch deck, cuts the entire lawn in about 50 minutes. 271 hours as of yesterday. Started off with 10w-30 M1 EP but switched to 15w-40 RT6 a few yeas ago.

I have a Troybuilt with a Honda GCV160. It's over 15yrs old with about 500 hours. I've replaced wheels and other parts of the deck hardware, but the engine keeps on running. Starts right up, no smoke and doesn't use any oil.

Oil has been a few ounces of drip oil left over from empty bottles from my other vehicles topped off with Mobil1 10W-30.

I changed the oil frequently during the first hours of ownership. I now change oil every other year.

Back