ecoboost longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Everyone seems to think that there will be no problems when these truck hit 175k--200k miles. I guess we'll see. I know where I'm placing my bet.

And to me, the most important factor, will be how well does a 2010 EB vs. a 2010 NA 5.0 run/sound/reliable after 175k miles.

I can promise you that NOT many people on here have driven a turbo charged car with 200k miles on it. And if you have, you know it ran like a dog turd.

I'll let you know. Cause I plan on at least 150k on the Taurus and probably the same on the F150.

Only thing so far on the Taurus was a knock sensor under the 3/36. And plugs @ 75k.

Everyone seems to think that there will be no problems when these truck hit 175k--200k miles. I guess we'll see. I know where I'm placing my bet.

And to me, the most important factor, will be how well does a 2010 EB vs. a 2010 NA 5.0 run/sound/reliable after 175k miles.

I can promise you that NOT many people on here have driven a turbo charged car with 200k miles on it. And if you have, you know it ran like a dog turd.

Pablum! My Charger hauled (would still chirp the inside front tire on a corner in third gear) even with 200K. My friend's van and Volvo both ran perfectly...the only reason he replaced the van was someone hit it.

Yeah and the non-carb'ed versions of the Ford Turbo 2.3 were equally stout. I'd love to have a late 80's/early 90's SVO, XR4Ti, or TurboCoupe!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No kidding. My father in law's 2.3T had perfect bearing surfaces and cylinder honing visible with 135k!

And the interesting question is why was it apart for those surfaces to be so easily visible?

You seem overly convinced that you are absolutely correct.

Can you please provide all the examples of forced induction vehicles that YOU OWNED that had high mileage and that ran like dog turds at the 200k mile mark?

I had a '92 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, with the supercharged 3800 Series I engine in it, that at the 200k mile mark, the original engine and supercharger was still good and strong, and gave awesome power, but the whole rest of the car was slowly starting to come apart at the seams. The transmission was replaced around the 170k mark, but that's neither an engine nor a supercharger.

So, forced induction engines can last a good long time, when properly maintained, per my experience.

BC.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Not true at all. I've driven a turbo Volvo with over 200k (original engine and turbo) that ran just as well as another one with only ~50k on the motor and turbo. I've seen other turbo Volvos, Saabs, etc. over 200k with no issues, some pushing close to 300k.

I didn't say NOBODY. I said "NOT many people"....I'm glad you drove a Volvo with 200k on it and you think it ran just as well as another with 50k on it.

That's just the most RIDICULOUS statement I've ever heard. Nobody, and this time, I mean NOBODY, have a car with 200k miles on it that rides, run, and drives like an almost new one. NOBODY.

That's just insane.

If you replace all the wear items, I could see an old car driving pretty much like new.
Motor mounts, the bushings in the suspension, shocks, would be the big items.
I've never been in a car like that, but from owning the Tracker since new, I know if I replaced the motor mounts, the body mounts(body on frame), and maybe the front strut mounts, it would sound and drive a lot better on our gravel driveway.
I won't bother as on the highway, its still quite tolerable.

I have ridden in a 1979 Mercedes 300D from long ago that ran and drove almost exactly as when new with 200k plus miles on it. Virtually untouched except for maintenance items.

It was a truly singular experience and very few other cars could match it without comprehensive restoration.

How many cars are on the road with 200K? Not many, and the ones that are are well maintained. They're not worth repairing anything major in most cases. Trucks on the other hand are expected to be on the road for decades and people are willing to pay for repairs. We'll see how the Ecos are holding up down the road. I suspect they won't be highly sought after.

I'd like to disagree but I can't. All of my cars have new motor mounts, new struts/mounts, new tie rod ends/ball joints/control arms, etc. But none of them drive like they did when they were new. The BMW comes closest, maybe that is because nearly every suspension and steering component has been replaced, but that replacement percentage is pretty true of the Sienna as well. Yet there is some "looseness" that is pretty vague, some kind of "not tight" that pervades all the vehicles. That got lost many miles ago.

I don't know if it is numerous little broken welds or what it is, but when I drive a new car it is as evident as can be.

Nobody, and this time, I mean NOBODY, have a car with 200k miles on it that rides, run, and drives like an almost new one. NOBODY.

That's just insane.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No kidding. My father in law's 2.3T had perfect bearing surfaces and cylinder honing visible with 135k!

And the interesting question is why was it apart for those surfaces to be so easily visible?

My 2.3 Non Turbo needed valve seals at just under 100k. I'd imagine they would be similar to the turbo version. But I'm curious too.

Originally Posted By: hatt
How many cars are on the road with 200K? Not many, and the ones that are are well maintained. They're not worth repairing anything major in most cases. Trucks on the other hand are expected to be on the road for decades and people are willing to pay for repairs. We'll see how the Ecos are holding up down the road. I suspect they won't be highly sought after.

I'd venture to say the private trucks with 200k and no major repairs are also few and far between. When I was looking at "beater" trucks, the under 5k trucks and the older ones 150-200k, a lot of them boasted "new engine" or "replaced engine 50k ago". And these were the venreable Ford 5.0, 351, and 5.4.

I don't know if it's lack of maintenance, bad luck or what but those used ones out there with loads of miles do have issues!

200k for a Mercedes, Saab, Volvo or a truck isn't that much. Good cars, last...

My friend sold a highly boosted E55 at 140k which was as good as it rolled out of Brabus.

Good cars!

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I'd venture to say the private trucks with 200k and no major repairs are also few and far between. When I was looking at "beater" trucks, the under 5k trucks and the older ones 150-200k, a lot of them boasted "new engine" or "replaced engine 50k ago". And these were the venreable Ford 5.0, 351, and 5.4.

I don't know if it's lack of maintenance, bad luck or what but those used ones out there with loads of miles do have issues!
That's the point. It currently makes financial sense to repair trucks so they stay on the road. Complex and expensive engines that are difficult to keep going years down the road aren't going to make people happy.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
200k for a Mercedes, Saab, Volvo or a truck isn't that much. Good cars, last...

My friend sold a highly boosted E55 at 140k which was as good as it rolled out of Brabus.

Good cars!

Yet I hung out at the track and virtually every E55 owner I knew had an unbelievable amount of maintenance and repairs performed on their cars since new. I saw nothing to indicate that these were any better at staying trouble free than any other car, especially at the track...

That's the point. It currently makes financial sense to repair trucks so they stay on the road. Complex and expensive engines that are difficult to keep going years down the road aren't going to make people happy.

Huh? What's the difference if my lack of maintenance grenades a 5.0, 351, 4.6 or 5.4 or an Ecoboost before, say 200k? I'm still replacing an engine well before the 200k mark. It's still going to be very costly!

Here's the cost for a new 5.0 Crate Engine:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113
$8,879

A 3.5 Ecoboost Crate Engine:
https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22829
$9,400

Sure it may cost a little more but once the rebuilders get into them I'd imagine it would be less than a new crate engine from Ford. And with the vast #'s of F1150 Ecoboosts out there (Ford says 40%) the scrap yards will have some too from wrecked vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The Tbird it was in was totalled, and he did a ring & bearing job before putting it in his Pinto.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Huh? What's the difference if my lack of maintenance grenades a 5.0, 351, 4.6 or 5.4 or an Ecoboost before, say 200k? I'm still replacing an engine well before the 200k mark. It's still going to be very costly!

Here's the cost for a new 5.0 Crate Engine:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13113
$8,879

A 3.5 Ecoboost Crate Engine:
https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22829
$9,400

Sure it may cost a little more but once the rebuilders get into them I'd imagine it would be less than a new crate engine from Ford. And with the vast #'s of F1150 Ecoboosts out there (Ford says 40%) the scrap yards will have some too from wrecked vehicles.
What's your question? We know if you abuse equipment it won't last. What about when you take care of it adequately.

Bottom line is that a twin turboed direct gas injection engine has a lot more stuff to go wrong than more conventional offerings. Just one example. What are the valves going to look like after 100K of short trips? No one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back