Help navigating my used Truck search

Very good post meep. Power is only part of it, stability is a BIG part of it. Even with the 1 ton crew cab long bed that weighs as much as my trailer. I rarely go over 65 unless I am in Eastern Washington on I 90 or similar roads.
I’ll third the 3/4 chassis and higher is a big must when your payload and weight starts increasing. Personally if I was towing heavy I’d rather have a chassis capable and dog of a motor than a high HP 1/2 ton with a dismal chassis.

Having a 6.0 in my Tahoe now has plenty of power but I know anything beyond 4-5k the thing will handle like trash.

Exact reason I have an cammed 6.0 05 2500HD project in the works for the heavier jobs.

Your budget is too low. Also, right now is a terrible time to buy. Your choice of trucks right now will also all be white knuckled piss your pants driving, go 3/4 ton.
He has no need for 4WD.

In the real world you should be able to get a lot of truck/suburban if you stick to RWD, they are sometimes half the price and generally a lot cheaper to maintain and upgrade.

The sad part is that there are morons who try to say RWD is rare and valuable , can’t count the number of times I’ve seen that stupidity but you should be able to really negotiate down a RWD vehicle.

All the suburbans I had were RWD, would never own anything else given the immense price difference, better reliability, and better fuel economy

Last edited:
He has no need for 4WD.

In the real world you should be able to get a lot of truck/suburban if you stick to RWD, they are sometimes half the price and generally a lot cheaper to maintain and upgrade.

The sad part is that there are morons who try to say RWD is rare and valuable , can’t count the number of times I’ve seen that stupidity but you should be able to really negotiate down a RWD vehicle.

All the suburbans I had were RWD, would never own anything else given the immense price difference, better reliability, and better fuel economy
I prefer 2wd trucks myself for the simple fact that such a heavy 4x4 is inherently stupid and a huge waste of money, except for monster truck rallies. That might trigger some healthy debate.

He has no need for 4WD.

This is an interesting topic. My Suburban is all time 4WD so I honestly couldn't tell if you it's necessary or "kicking in". I travel on paved roads to campgrounds with varying grounds from gravel to compacted dirt/grass. The other 90% of the time I'm driving it will be to work and Costco.

My 07 Ram pulls my 24.5 fifth wheel Fleetwood effortlessly. I have an Anderson hitch that weighs 40 lbs and the frame attachments for the bars. I towed our trailer from Michigan City Indiana and then to Bardstown,KY. With it I use the towing position on the transmission and I get a consistent 11mpg. I have no complaints with it. Currently has 224k on it and runs great. It has no rust either cause western KY uses minimal treatment on the roads. I also towed my son's 1990 F150 from Rolla,MO on a UHaul car trailer. Most comfortable truck I have ever owned.

I found a 2wd 2015 Chevy 2500, one owner, private sale. $34500. Below is an example of what I've found. I'd be a few thousand over budget. With that said, I'm cheap, and want to keep my payment under a certain amount.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-RAM-2500-d667#listing=359973122/NONE/DEFAULT
Hey cheap is OK. All my cars are paid off and I didn't want to spend the 36500 I spend on my 17 back in 2019. That Ram looks nice. Would certainly do what you need to do with capability to spare.

I found a 2wd 2015 Chevy 2500, one owner, private sale. $34500. Below is an example of what I've found. I'd be a few thousand over budget. With that said, I'm cheap, and want to keep my payment under a certain amount.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-RAM-2500-d667#listing=359973122/NONE/DEFAULT
Yeah, even in the current market that private party owner is dreaming.

It’s not a matter of if it’s “worth” it it’s whether a private party buyer has $34,500. A bank would likely be unwilling to give a loan to anyone other than folks who don’t need a loan
(due to current circumstances)
and my bank at least would only do up to $20k and expect you to cover the rest. (They state that they don’t care what the black book is for non-dealer vehicles, especially one over 5 years old)

There are reasons most cars sold private party sell for $5000 or less, above that is dealer and monthly payment territory for 99% of the population.

My long way of saying if the private party guy actually wants to sell, he needs to be a lot more flexible and if your patient, and persistent with evidence you’ll could probably wear him down, assuming the truck is actually worth having and in good condition.

What will actually determine if the private party guy can even sell at any price will be regional, some areas nobody has money (even if they have a 6 bed home and 40 acres)
Worth determining what a place like carmax would pay as a point of contention

Last edited:
I prefer 2wd trucks myself for the simple fact that such a heavy 4x4 is inherently stupid and a huge waste of money, except for monster truck rallies. That might trigger some healthy debate.
Well..if you live in Texas you don't need 4WD. Try getting in and out of a uncleared parking lot where it substiallny snows without it. Other than than there is no debut since you live where it doesn't snow......

You didn't say if it's a 1500 or 2500? If it's a 1500 how do your payload numbers work out? Andersen make nice hitches.
A 1500 Ram cannot take any more than a 6,000 pound trailer without running in to payload issues.

Around here the snowdrifts will catch any 2WD vehicle and leave them stuck where the 4x4’s can muscle their way through.

My 07 Ram pulls my 24.5 fifth wheel Fleetwood effortlessly. I have an Anderson hitch that weighs 40 lbs and the frame attachments for the bars. I towed our trailer from Michigan City Indiana and then to Bardstown,KY. With it I use the towing position on the transmission and I get a consistent 11mpg. I have no complaints with it. Currently has 224k on it and runs great. It has no rust either cause western KY uses minimal treatment on the roads. I also towed my son's 1990 F150 from Rolla,MO on a UHaul car trailer. Most comfortable truck I have ever owned.
I live in Rolla! Is your son an S&T student on just happen to break down passing through?

My payload is fine on my 1500 with that Anderson hitch. It would not work with any other hitch but the Anderson is perfect for me. I can see the hitch in the mirror and just back up to the hookup on the trailer and drop it in. Easy peezy.

Back