Help navigating my used Truck search

I found a 2wd 2015 Chevy 2500, one owner, private sale. $34500. Below is an example of what I've found. I'd be a few thousand over budget. With that said, I'm cheap, and want to keep my payment under a certain amount.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-RAM-2500-d667#listing=359973122/NONE/DEFAULT
Slightly OT but if at all, possible avoid the 6.4 HEMI with the older 6-speed auto. Stick with the 19+ with the ZF8. It makes a world of difference.

Bad news is that the A/C is terrible in the 19+ trucks.

also be aware that the last gen tundras had front end issues. if you are looking at one be sure to have it checked out.

Found this on AutoTempest, has only 13K miles and is 230ish miles from OP's location:

Maybe could put a bed back on or do a service body with a nice hitch? The price and mileage are right.

Reactions: 4WD
Found this on AutoTempest, has only 13K miles and is 230ish miles from OP's location:

Maybe could put a bed back on or do a service body with a nice hitch? The price and mileage are right.

I don't disagree. My wife would kill me if I brought that home!

My payload is fine on my 1500 with that Anderson hitch. It would not work with any other hitch but the Anderson is perfect for me. I can see the hitch in the mirror and just back up to the hookup on the trailer and drop it in. Easy peezy.

So the tongue weight of you 5th wheel plus the weight of the Andersen hitch is under the truck payload? Either a really light trailer or really high max payload on the truck.

Tongue weight is just over 1K. Never fill tanks and always dump before travel. Entire trailer dry is under 6K. Has one slide out and is just like a small studio on wheels.

That bed would be perfect for camping, You could make ramps & load a ATV from the side!

So the tongue weight of you 5th wheel plus the weight of the Andersen hitch is under the truck payload? Either a really light trailer or really high max payload on the truck.
Some believe a WD hitch makes the "weight go away". It only transfers a small amount to the trailer axles.

That bed would be perfect for camping, You could make ramps & load a ATV from the side!
A number of the ranchers down here like the flat beds … it’s become ridiculous how high the beds/sides are on HD series pickups …

Looked at a 2015 2500 Gas 6.0 Chevy crew cab today. It had 46k miles and 1550 hours. The owner told me over the phone the body was clean with no dents, scratches and had new tires. I made the 2 hour drive and the body had multiple dents, scratches, chips and two post-it note size spots where the paint was simple gone. The tires were from 2018 and it was dirty. He wanted about 5k more than I wanted to pay/it was worth.

Looked at a 2015 2500 Gas 6.0 Chevy crew cab today. It had 46k miles and 1550 hours. The owner told me over the phone the body was clean with no dents, scratches and had new tires. I made the 2 hour drive and the body had multiple dents, scratches, chips and two post-it note size spots where the paint was simple gone. The tires were from 2018 and it was dirty. He wanted about 5k more than I wanted to pay/it was worth.
Dang sorry to hear that I know that's how it goes sometimes but especially sucks when you drive so far!

Keep an eye out there your truck is waiting for you 🍻

People are proud of their junk. I feel your pain. Prior to picking up my son's current truck, we drove four and a half hours to look at one. It was a pile, guy lied about everything. Even used old pictures. He figured since we drove that far and had the cash we were buyers. Politely told him no, got in my car and drove home.

What was he asking for it?

6000 lb trailer and a family of 5. If you go the 1/2 ton route as others are saying - look for the truck with the highest payload you can find. Best combo of payload and condition would be what I would look for here...

On a Ford, that will be a 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost truck, so that at least meshes with your desire for the 5.0.
But that’s also a 2wd. The 4wd loses a bit of rating due to the extra weight of the truck. Not sure if 2wd is a deal breaker for OP.

I found a nice Silverado. It has the towing package per the RPO codes BUT this one has the 3.08 rear end... What would it cost to change out to a 3.73 or 4.10?
4WD? 2000 bucks. 2WD 1000 bucks. Each diff is about 1000 dollars, does not include tune to make the speedometer correct.

I purchased from a kind 77 yr old man. One owner 2014 Silverado, crew cab, 46k miles, 2wd, towing package, leather, well equipped LT, 18''in alloys. It has the 5.3 with the 6 speed. I will be changing the rear ratio from 3.08 to a 3.42 to increase towing capacity to 9700lbs. It has a payload rating of ~1900 lbs. I have the full service history on it from it's 12/2014 purchase. It was priced well and he never towed with it. I feel that I got a very fair price when compared to what I had looked at locally.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg