Does timing belt vs chain influence your used car decisions?

What I've learned in the last few years from experience.

I have a 2010 F150 with variable valve timing (VVT) systems on the 4.6 3valve engine. Keep in mind, Every engine design IS different The engine was noisy when new. I have gone thru 2 sets of Phasers in 140,000 miles and two timing chain kits. To be accurate, Had one kit that Cloyes sold me that the tensioner exploded under warrantee, sending shrapnel thru the engine requiring dropping the oil pan and vacuuming what I still could still find. I cannot comment on this matter here
I have a Subaru with 178,000 miles now I did the timing "set" Belt tensioners water pump and belt with a supposed high quality Meets or exceeded OEM spec kit from amazon. Within a year the belt broke the tensioner seal was weeping and I now had to replace the bent valves. A very expensive proposition. I purchased a 5 star Bernie OEM kit and replaced it again. The engine was never the same because of oil consumption issues that M1 5w30 E. Performance mostly helped correct. My point. Belts maintain timing almost exactly for life where the chain has many wear points in the system, can be noisy (to be fair a belt is noisy in its own way as well). Even without VVT its complicated with and OHC engine maintaining the chain geometry. My opinion is Belt replaced with all pulleys and tensioners and water pump, And if the cam seal are questionable change them ((Subaru seals are arguably normally good well into the 150,000 to over 200,000 mile range), per the manufacturers recommendations using Aisin premium, 5 star Bernie, or better yet a exact set of Subaru parts and forget about it again for another 105,000 miles. Same on any other brand unless the OEM is junk which I seriously doubt. I don't trust any other brand and some will disagree and that's fine. an OEM lasts 105000.

Yes but they worked. No cam phasers, no cylinder deactivation, easy to modify.
When I read the title I interpreted "used car" as a used but modern vehicle. Is there anything newer than say 15 years old that has a dead-simple timing chain system?

I'm completely unfamiliar with those. Aren't those ancient?
I suggest that you learn a bit about them. They have powered more hot rods & boats than any other engine I can think of. And you can still buy a brand new long block for about 5 grand.
Then you’ll realize that aluminum/plastic engines we have been forced to accept & pay for in the name of “progress” is a betrayal of the customer. They are NOT better!
Simple classic engineering, it works & can be rebuilt by any machine shop.
I have the 4.3 liter V6 version in my boat. It’s 35 years old has the original short block including timing chain. I replaced the cyl heads 6 years ago at a cost of $800 parts myself; easy job.

BTW Mercury Marine bought the tech from GM for those old engines snd they now produce their own version of the same old school cast iron OHV engines but with updated ignition & electronic fuel injection. They run great BTW.
I put the AMC/Jeep 4 liter six in the same category. They can run 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance. All cast iron construction.

Last edited:
Reactions: wtd
When I read the title I interpreted "used car" as a used but modern vehicle. Is there anything newer than say 15 years old that has a dead-simple timing chain system?
Oh. I interpret used car as anything that may have moved under it's own power at some point, and has been sold before.

049.JPG

Jeep 4.0 six, currently at 181,000 miles
4.3 new cyl heads installed.jpg

GM Marine 4.3 V6 top end overhaul, reman cyl heads new head bolts, gasket etc...easy job....

Reactions: wtd
I'm not sure I'd disqualify it for having a timing belt, but it would have to make sense.

If I were buying a 10 year old Accord V6 with 100k miles, the price would have to factor in the replacement cost of the timing belt. If I were buying a 25 year old beater with a timing belt and no change history, that might disqualify it as the replacement cost would be significantly close to the vehicle's value.

The super-durable vanadium steel body rusts very slowly. Lubricate with whale oil?
I'm in Arizona. Here in summer a/c is recommended, but in winter it's 70, dry, and sunny. Perfect weather to drive around in an old open cab car. No road salt here.

I'm completely unfamiliar with those. Aren't those ancient?
There was a recent archeological dig where a whole bunch were found and fossilized. The stampings were in hieroglyphics tracing them to Ypsilanti. Interestingly a prof explained in those days when a classic car was sold, they would often say, “hieroglyphics matching.”

If buying a car with a timing belt it’s good to know if it is an interference engine or not. In the years I had cars with timing belts I had them changed on time & never had a failure.

If buying a car with a timing belt it’s good to know if it is an interference engine or not. In the years I had cars with timing belts I had them changed on time & never had a failure.
Even my 1980 Rabbit which I got used in 1992 and which I kept until earlier this year had an interference engine (EA827 ). And that engine design is older than I am. How many recent engines are non-interference?

Even my 1980 Rabbit which I got used in 1992 and which I kept until earlier this year had an interference engine (EA827 ). And that engine design is older than I am. How many recent engines are non-interference?
I remember hearing that term to describe Mitsubishi and common catastrophic failures circa 1992. Once I was sitting in a Volvo shop in Bennington VT. There was a Gates booklet with timing belt part nos, and cars with interference engines had an asterisks. Mine had chains as it was a B27F V6…

What I meant was something I might possibly buy on the used market, so
I’ve been driving for over 40 years now and I’ve never had a timing chain fail.

Which engines with timing chains have chain guides that neither crumble nor wear out and chain tensioners that fail so much less frequently compared to timing belts and associated components? I'm being serious. I've seen chain guides fail at just 70k miles and less than two years into ownership.
I don’t know… I have a 42 year old OM616, a 41 year old OM617, a 38 year old OM601, and three different 22 year old OM602 and 603 engines… so apparently it can be done if done properly. Our Toyota got totalled due to a hurricane dropping a tree on it, with only 238k and 15 years…

But your point is valid. Chains require maintenance. And, IMO, getting everything back into proper mechanical time every decade or so isn’t the worst thing to happen.

Back