Low-Mileage GM 3100 in 2023?

My only question is why would someone dump all that money into it for maintenance and then just sell it? New speakers?
My thought is that it's a boring 25 year old Buick with little to no modern amenities. I think a lot of people get real excited and "like" the thought of a cheap good old basic car. But then in their daily life are not happy with the no Apple CarPlay or "water-cooler clout" their bingo bomber achieves them.

My thought is that it's a boring 25 year old Buick with little to no modern amenities. I think a lot of people get real excited and "like" the thought of a cheap good old basic car. But then in their daily life are not happy with the no Apple CarPlay or "water-cooler clout" their bingo bomber achieves them.
I get that, but most of the fixes were items one would do to keep the car for himself in the long run. The buyer already knows what he's buying (boring-wise)

I had a 2002 in that exact color except my interior was gray. It was an excellent car and got great mileage on long trips (over 30 mpg consistently). It was also very good in the snow. I did have the intake gasket done with a Felpro PS gasket at about 80K due to slight coolant traces in a UOA. IIRC, GM later reimbursed me for that IG work.

IDK what the asking price is on this car but I do know before the current spike in inflation these were pretty cheap.

The only 2 negatives were that they tend to rust in the rocker panel area....and my kids thought it was 'an old man's car'...I used to tease them that they would inherit it when they started driving.

Just throwing this out for consideration. It’s real easy to get fixated on miles, but time is as much of a factor. Things start failing you’d normally never consider simply due to age. That and all the work that has been done to it already (proving my first point) is a red flag. Everyone I’ve known who has bought a minty older car with low miles has had trouble with it (with one exception, a 97 Taurus).

I also think it is over priced but they will probably get it because of the miles and visual condition.

Just throwing this out for consideration. It’s real easy to get fixated on miles, but time is as much of a factor. Things start failing you’d normally never consider simply due to age. That and all the work that has been done to it already (proving my first point) is a red flag. Everyone I’ve known who has bought a minty older car with low miles has had trouble with it (with one exception, a 97 Taurus).

I also think it is over priced but they will probably get it because of the miles and visual condition.
Yes-when you are talking more time than miles reliability still very much comes in to the picture!

I had a 3.1 in a 1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme - the only GM I have owned even though I worked at a GM dealer as a kid. I loved it. If I could find another one in decent shape today I would buy it for sure.

Wouldn’t be a bad compliment to the Suburban and Tahoe. Going back and forth with the seller.

Let’s see where we go!

A good example of time-related issues would be if the instrument panel, particularly the PRNDL indicator, fails.

If you have to deal with emissions inspections the early OBD-II system won't do you any favors. Better to get a 95 or older.

The transmission "failure" is a firm 2-3 shift, IIRC, but it's "fixed" by a valve-body shift kit.

It's an ok car, albeit extraordinarily boring. I 2nd the idea of protecting the rocker panels-- probably should get oil sprayed inside them somehow, even if it means drilling holes and plugging them. Cover the brake/fuel lines, they are made of untreated steel that rots incredibly fast.

It may not end up being the cheapest car to run you've ever had, but If you like that style of car, then get it, and you won't mind do the repairs as much. I had an 81 Omega 2.8 V6 and while a bit crude in some ways, it had similar seats, and that V6 is nice and smooth if not particularly powerful. Not a bad way to get around IMO.

If you have to deal with emissions inspections the early OBD-II system won't do you any favors. Better to get a 95 or older.

I was reading up on NYS inspection rules as I remembered something about 25 year mark. Current calendar year minus 24 years is what is under scrutiny for plug in OBD inspection. So at this time ‘99 and older cars in NYS do not need to be plugged in.

The 2005 Buick I have is similar. I added an aftermarket radio and reverse camera...It helps.

Back