Decibel Reading After Switching Oil Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
... so I asked them which one would they use in their car. The mechanic, who was most excited, said he would obviously use filter #3. Even the low energy parts guy said that from looking at the filters, he would also use #3.

Yeah, but what about the ISO 4548-12 performance factor? And how they hold up in service. Can't go on looks alone. Just ribbin ya
wink.gif
There are a lot of very technical people here, and that's why you'll see criticism in about every thread on BITOG. Some of it's good, and some is not.

I know. Most of the time I get a kick out of seeing how some people get their panties in a wad over things that mean "nothing" to me. They are probably just under lots of pressure so we need to love them.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Did you say you are "laying" your phone on the intake? I would question that since with vibration, how do you know the phone is not literally bouncing. Taking sound levels should be through the air only....not through the case.

While I tend to be in the camp of noting oil differences between applications, I don't see how a dB reading done in the way described gives a complete picture of NVH that might be referred to as "noise". That's not 'panties in a bunch' if you're asking for responses and factoring in that vibration and other elements add to the "noise" you might experience. As an exercise?? Great...As proving anything?? Probably less great. IMO, it's a "thanks for sharing" item versus a point of argument because it doesn't appear that butt dyno and empirical science will be meeting on this one.

Hello Gebo. I think you are doing a great job on the experiments you have conducted. I mean we are not physicians trying to have a theory. We just conclude our experience with some nice in-home tests and I think your setups are very good. Because of the several times of oil changes my Dad did he also noticed some oil is making more noise than the other oil. I am not sure about if a quiet oil protect the car better but, it is always enjoyable to have a quiet car so I hope that you can keep up your experiments!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tina
Hello Gebo. I think you are doing a great job on the experiments you have conducted. I mean we are not physicians trying to have a theory.

Tink we should try to be better than THAT (see Are Doctors Just Overpaid Mechanics? " thread).

Lots of applications for the smartphone seem to have obsession-assistance potential. Seems potentially better than all that subjective opinioning, anyway.

Reminds me years ago when I was considering medical school and in my trek I was informed by those "in the know" that I had "killed" my chances by making "A's" in chemistry in college. The primary culprit was my "A" in Organic Chemistry.

Go figure. Now I have been reduced to an imbecile using his Android to collect meaningless data from an engine bay.

20.gif

Funny,
a workmate's son is in first year of medical school, and chemistry is a very heavy focus.

They said excelling in Organic was a indication I didn't possess the necessary people skills.

Now, keep in mind that 35 years ago and the Organic chemistry was BEFORE acceptance into medical school.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
They said excelling in Organic was a indication I didn't possess the necessary people skills.

As an aside, two of the brightest brothers I ever knew had some of the worst people skills I've ever come across in my life. One became a dentist and the other a doctor. Both colleges had to revise conduct rules thanks to their inability to deal with the general public.
wink.gif

I was used to them, but they could probably could have sent elderly patients to an early grave or running out the door. They had the highest undergraduate average in the university, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Physicians have rather limited scientific skills, and even worse mathematical ones.
wink.gif

IDK, my doc did his undergrad at MIT and I have it on good authority that he was just fine at STEM stuff.
Trying to paint with too broad a brush here, I suspect.

What Garak is saying certainly isn't true when you compare physicians to the general public. Where it's true is when you compare physicians to others in "scientific" fields, like research scientists or engineers. As always, exceptions abound, but the generalization holds.

Physicians are second-to-none in their knowledge of certain scientific facts and theories. That knowledge gives them good intuitions, which they need to do their work; if they used strict scientific methods for every case, they'd never get much done. As a result, they generally end up being people who know scientific methods intellectually but don't adhere to them too strictly as a matter of habit -- because, again, they can't afford to.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
IDK, my doc did his undergrad at MIT and I have it on good authority that he was just fine at STEM stuff.

There are some, certainly, but as indicated by d00df00d, you don't want to compare an average physician's mathematical skills to those of a physicist or mathematician. As for exceptions, yes, there certainly are some. I once knew an MD who also had his law degree and PhD in physics. I didn't doubt his mathematical skills in the least, nor his obvious ability to sit in a classroom for unending years. Generally, though, first year calculus isn't even a requirement for admission to medical school.

Also, as d00df00d indicated, I'm not saying that physicians have poor mathematical and scientific skills in relation to the general public, but in comparison to certain other groups. While I'm being obnoxious, I'll also note that chemists and biologists, generally speaking, have rather limited mathematical skills. Yes, there are exceptions, too. The head of the chemistry department here back in the day was a computational chemist, and I wouldn't doubt his mathematical skills, either. Throw an integral in front of some chemistry grad students, and several of them will sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back