Decibel Reading After Switching Oil Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: danielLD
Originally Posted By: ZZman
It is quite obvious that the oil change got rid of the microscopic pieces of metal that were bouncing around inside the engine and making scratching noises.

LOL

Oh, no. Can't be because I'm using synthetic oil and it's only comprised of little round balls. Now if I were using conventional oil, you may have a point being it's comprised of jagged rocks.

Gebo - did you actually hear the difference with your ears?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Gebo - did you actually hear the difference with your ears?

Here's the deal. I just switched my wife's GS300 to this particular oil (and I ain't saying the brand so please don't ask) and I thought it sounded a lot quieter. I got my son to listen and he apparently agreed with me. SO....that's why I decided to try to actually measure the sound level when I did my next oil change.

I think I can but it could just be my mind and heart affecting my hearing. You know what I mean? If you want to see the good in a "bad" person you can if you want to and if you really want an oil to be quieter you can hear that as well. That's about as honest as I can be. I really think so.

I'd think listening to the engine inside a quiet garage might make it easier to discern noise differences. Even more so if it was lined with sound absorbing foam (ie, acoustic chamber).

Sometimes we're tricked by 'confirmation bias' where we want to believe a difference occurred and we can't
shake it. It's one of the mistakes that cause pilots to crash planes!

I am an engineer and as part of my last project, had to take some sound measurements. All I will say is, it is incredibly difficult to get an accurate measurement. Things like nearby surfaces (reflection) and wind or outside sounds will make this measurement bounce all over. I doubt your phone has the precision necessary to take this with any validity.

Geez folks, Gebo is trying here ... I know we can discern some oils from each other in some engines. He's adding numbers to the situation as controlled as he can get it. Good enough
smile.gif

Now if it sounds quieter next time, but the phones says noisier, I'll have my doubts. But the person and the phone agreeing seems to be tow sampling methods and that is prolly as good as it gets on BITOG
laugh.gif

How many of you folks have a mechanics stethoscope? Ever listen to an engine looking for an issue. Hear the difference before and after a bearing change, etc. The ear is pretty good at differentiating noises.

For those who don't care - so be it. For those who do care about sound, sound quality, and what an engine should sound like, this may have merit
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Geez folks, Gebo is trying here ... I know we can discern some oils from each other in some engines. He's adding numbers to the situation as controlled as he can get it. Good enough
smile.gif

Now if it sounds quieter next time, but the phones says noisier, I'll have my doubts. But the person and the phone agreeing seems to be tow sampling methods and that is prolly as good as it gets on BITOG
laugh.gif

How many of you folks have a mechanics stethoscope? Ever listen to an engine looking for an issue. Hear the difference before and after a bearing change, etc. The ear is pretty good at differentiating noises.

For those who don't care - so be it. For those who do care about sound, sound quality, and what an engine should sound like, this may have merit
smile.gif

Did you read philipp10 comments?
This thread was useless form the "get go" when your measuring motor sounds with a cell phone.

I should try to find that post where a guy said he could feel his car "had less rolling resistance" because he changed his rear end grease.

This place gets crazy sometimes.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Did you read philipp10 comments? This thread was useless form the "get go" when your measuring motor sounds with a cell phone.

Cell phones are probably better tools than most of the lab gear was when I was at Uni learning to be...and engineer.

Industrially, those comments make perfect sense, as I could never compare two pumps next to each other, and they aren't the same.

If the OP used the same phone, same orientation, and same parking space both times, then he's eliminated a lot of issues.

I used the radiation app on an Iphone 4 on the front camera, and it was VERY close to the calibrated gear at work on anything but alpha sources.

You guys are something else.
eek.gif
The car was in the exact same spot on the oil change ramps in my driveway with measurements taken within 30 minutes of each other. Phone was laid on the intake and it did make a difference if I moved it by an inch so I marked the 4 sides with a magic marker.

I would assume the viscosity of the 5K used oil was slightly different from what it was new in the bottle based on my knowledge gained from bitog. And from what I read concerning the specs of the oils in their new state, their viscosities were slightly different from "go start". Therefore I'm assuming viscosity was a variable as well.

However, I wasn't conducting an experiment for NASA. I ain't planning on publishing my data in a white paper for scientific review. I had just heard lots of people say this oil or that oil made my engine quieter. I decided to actually measure it and see if it is something that is more than imagination.

Whether I thought my engine was quieter at idle or not, I can read a decibel meter. I thought it was quieter when I changed the oil and the decibel meter says so.

Why the all the criticism ? Isn't this bitog where all us weird oil nuts share information that 99% of the general population thinks is stupid, is a waste of time and has no real bearing on the future of our civilization ?

Like two weeks ago when I went in and bought 3 different OEM Toyota oil filters from the dealership. The Parts guy said that one of the ones he sold me wouldn't fit my Highlander. I said, "Oh, I'm not gonna use it on my Highlander. I'm gonna cut all of them open and see what's different in them." He looked at me like I was from Mars. I said I'll bring them back if you like and show you what's on the inside. He smirked at me like I had 3 heads but the mechanic at the window said he'd like to see the insides. I came home cut all 3 open with a hacksaw while my son and wife looked at me like "how wasteful can you get" and wondering if I had taken my meds that day. I, on the other hand, am so excited I can barely twist the filters quickly enough in the table vice to get them cut open. Took them back to the dealership and the mechanic comes over. Parts guy's eyes open up. Technically, you can use all three so I asked them which one would they use in their car. The mechanic, who was most excited, said he would obviously use filter #3. Even the low energy parts guy said that from looking at the filters, he would also use #3. I'm not sure what they think of me but I know they liked what I did. You know, I should have cut all the media out and measured it in square inches and then used it as a coffee filter and timed how long it took 4 cups of 190 degree water to pass through it water and then take it to VA Tech for microscopic analysis, etc.

Yeah, this is bitog and we're all bunch of nuts. What nut would think to use a decibel meter on his phone to see if 2 different oils would make an engine sound differently at idle? What nuts would then tell that nut that his scientific method was not valid? Really? Earth to Gebo, earth to gebo, if you really want to do this right, find a recording studio with...

Just so you get the flavor of what I'm doing right now as I am typing, I'm laughing so hard tears are running down my checks. Some of us need to get a grip. Well, I should say "some of you" but I don't want to hurt your feelings. LOL

Yeah, I know that in order to be a grammatically correct you need a 'Noun" and a "Verb" but sometimes it's just too much trouble. And I just don't got no subject or a predicate.

...would say your engine is quiet (and those are) compared to the ecoboost I dB tested 4 different oils in ...
It ranged 73.5 to 75.1 ... however under a metal roof in front of my shop.
...did them all the same at operating temps

Two things:

1. Gebo did a better job of trying to gather good info than 99% of people do.
2. His test had flaws that render the results inconclusive.

Both of those things are true. Neither invalidates the other. The fact that he did better than most people doesn't mean the results are conclusive. The fact that the results are inconclusive doesn't mean he did a bad job.

He posted here for feedback. He got it. As far as I can tell, only one person has actually dumped on him, one other person piled on, and we got a couple of sarcastic comments that aren't really meaningful; the rest of his critics are offering constructive criticism. Gebo can use it to try to do better next time. Or he can blow it all off. Anyone's free to take it or leave it (though I'd recommend taking it).

This is how stuff is supposed to work.

My dB meter has a foam ball on the end like a microphone ...
So, from my experience talking to folks who are outside on an iPhone ... it should be somewhat better.

At least they are just instruments with no feelings or opinions

I do like the passion here, and the effort. I have a well constructed garage, and it is very easy to hear any kind of sounds that are out of the ordinary when a vehicle is running in it. A few years back I commented about a boutique oil being noisier than M1 0W20, so much so that anyone who drove the vehicle and was familiar with it could tell. I caught some heat commenting about it.

The OP is moving in the right direction, and if he can get his testing methods dialed in he'll be onto something. Me I go by the human ear, if I can't hear a difference in an engine, be it from oil, changing filter brands, etc. then all is good, and no further investigation is needed. If I need a decibel meter and controlled conditions to detect a slight difference in sound, then imo I don't have anything to worry about. Keep up the good work.

I don't doubt the engine is quieter right after fresh oil is installed. I was only pointing out that these types of measurements are very difficult.....re-check after a couple thousand miles.

Did you say you are "laying" your phone on the intake? I would question that since with vibration, how do you know the phone is not literally bouncing. Taking sound levels should be through the air only....not through the case.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Did you say you are "laying" your phone on the intake? I would question that since with vibration, how do you know the phone is not literally bouncing. Taking sound levels should be through the air only....not through the case.

Because it is a Lexus V8. They don't vibrate. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back