Oil and Liqui Moly MoS2 for brand new 2023 Honda CRV 1.5t?

Hi guys
Recently got brand new Honda CRV, all previous vehicles was all from 2007-08 Mazda 6, Civic, Rav4 and CRV where I use PUP or Kirkland, change oil myself every 8k km in summer, earlier in winter (northern Canada, lots idling for warm up) and never had issues with oil consumption or engines at all.
Honda dealer wanted to sell $999 10-years oil change but they doing only at 15% MM so was refused. My CRV has powertrain warranty for 5 years and I want to do oil change myself. But can I actually do it? How to proof oil is changed in time in case of warranty defect? Is it Kirkland 0w20 good enough or should I get something better during sales in Canadian Tire? Did Honda fix oil dilution problem?
I also would like to change oil now at 1500 km, CRV owners said don't do it until 15% because brand new engines has higher Molybdenum contain from assembly. Okay, I get it. But what if I change oil and add a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 additive?

If you're concerned about Moly levels, just do the initial change using Idemitsu (your car was born with it) and change to whatever brand you desire on the subsequent changes.

Kirkland is good. I prefer Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 which carries a MB 229.71 approval (one of the toughest Mercedes specifications).

Save your paper or digital receipts in case something comes up.

Hi guys
Recently got brand new Honda CRV, all previous vehicles was all from 2007-08 Mazda 6, Civic, Rav4 and CRV where I use PUP or Kirkland, change oil myself every 8k km in summer, earlier in winter (northern Canada, lots idling for warm up) and never had issues with oil consumption or engines at all.
Honda dealer wanted to sell $999 10-years oil change but they doing only at 15% MM so was refused. My CRV has powertrain warranty for 5 years and I want to do oil change myself. But can I actually do it? How to proof oil is changed in time in case of warranty defect? Is it Kirkland 0w20 good enough or should I get something better during sales in Canadian Tire? Did Honda fix oil dilution problem?
I also would like to change oil now at 1500 km, CRV owners said don't do it until 15% because brand new engines has higher Molybdenum contain from assembly. Okay, I get it. But what if I change oil and add a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2 additive?
I'm not familiar with warranty laws in Canada but as far as MoS2 is concerned I'm going to recommend a strong...No.
Not all Moly is the same and not all forms use the same treat rate to achieve the desired result.

Honda factory fill is high moly and they do recommend not changing early to ensure proper break in.
I would follow that advice and not change too early. I don't know what 15% on the MM is but I would probably change at 30-40%.

After that if you wanted to use something high moly, I believe this might be.
They used to make something specifically called "ECO Moly 0w-20", but I think I remember an oil analysis recently that shows this one to be high moly currently.
Might want to hunt info and confirm.

Keep a log and file physically and digitally. Scan your receipts in case they fade.

What is your plan for changing? By miles? Percentage on MM? Time? Whichever if you do it yourself, do NOT reset the MM until about the 15% so it doesn't throw off all the other MM codes.

Fuel dilution you would need to send a sample to get tested to see how it is. You can then plan and adjust your oil preference accordingly.

You "could" do the dealer 10 year oil change thing, they will have everything on file in their records as being done per factory schedule. In between you do yours as you want with quality oil, get factory filters or just do the oil and leave their filter since it will only be max maybe 8-10k miles. Get a MityVac and make it nice and easy for you from topside.

If you want to use M0S2, your call. You could just get better quality euro spec oil or HPL/Amsoil etc but would be kind of a waste if changed in short intervals.

I always change the factory fill early (2K max) but if I bought a new Honda I would go to 3K or 3.5K because Honda recommends a regular (longer) first OCI with their high moly oil for break-in (and Honda should know). After that I would be fine using Kirkland 0w20 for 5 or 6K intervals depending on how those miles accumulated (highway vs. in town driving).
Kirkland is just as good as most other synthetics IMO and I don't see the point of running an extended drain oil (like Mobil1 EP or Castrol Edge EP {gold}) if your changing it at 5 or 6K.

PS: I wouldn't add any additives like moly to a fully formulated oil.

Last edited:
do not add any solid Molybdenum at this early in the engine's life. I would go at least five or six thousand miles and then have the factory fluid drained. are 2019 Honda CRV is part of the lawsuit, all I do is upgrade the oil when it starts to consume any with Redline 0w20. after you get out of your warranty, if you're still convinced that you need high Molybdenum I would look in the boutique section. that's what I do right now as I run a quart or two of red line in with Exxon Mobil 1 0w30.

Back