Chinese looking to buy FCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread so maybe its been said. ...It makes massive sense for China to be buying anything that's not nailed down. The "Money" they're using are the digital IOU's we have been giving them every time we borrow to support our lavish social and corporate welfare systems. Point being The IOU's are worthless paper ...land and intrinsically valuable items are preferable so that's what drives them. Unless the giveaway mentality here changes we will borrow ourselves into servitude.

I read everything here so far and nope that hasn't been said and needed to be said. First thing Chinese probably do with FCA is put a stop to pouring money into the showboat halo vehicle program known as SRT, and make the company start producing a more well rounded, more competitive, product line in general. Buh Bye SRT . . .
whistle.gif

Which completely eliminates anything that sets them apart from their product portfolio. That's why Mercedes has AMG, that's why BMW has their M division. The SRT products are a great way to get ridiculous performance at a palatable price. I've owned two SRT vehicles and they were/are both excellent.

Making Chrysler's product line mirror that of the likes of Toyota would summon their death knell. All the bland without any of the history of reliability that enables and encourages that appliance-like draw. Jeep sells precisely because it doesn't have all the character of a cool whip container, not because it is a reliability peer to the likes of the RAV-4.

Eliminating what sets Chrysler apart eliminates Chrysler. That uniqueness has made them soar and it has made them flounder. From the first HEMI to the Hellcat, Chryslers existence revolves around products that polarize. Sometimes that has worked in their favour, other times it has not. What they've never been is an appliance factory, and to turn them into one would completely remove any of the appeal that type of history generates. Nobody talks about that time they took their CR-V mudding. People don't flock to Top Fuel to watch B16's on Nitro. The 426 HEMI and the BOSS 429 were the reason the NASCAR rules were changed, not because Richard Petty was going too fast with a Toyota Stovebolt clone under the hood.

Not that any of this negates Chrysler's blunders. It doesn't mask the multiple bankruptcies, decades of poor management and a corporate culture that bred tupperware interiors and less than stellar reliability. The joint venture products mired in a cornucopia of bizarre issues with seemingly clueless support from corporate didn't help matter either. However, it does point to their somewhat unique history as being the odd man out and it working for them. In that vein, improving their product line whilst maintaining their identity is, IMHO, paramount to their survival.

SRT's are not Chrysler problem. Chrysler problem was that they made ultimate POS products that should make money. Problem with American auto industry started from the moment when accountants took over decision making process.
While one can say Jeep Cherokee SRT is good car, problem is that Chrysler does not make vehicle that can compete with Camry or Accord and make money.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread so maybe its been said. ...It makes massive sense for China to be buying anything that's not nailed down. The "Money" they're using are the digital IOU's we have been giving them every time we borrow to support our lavish social and corporate welfare systems. Point being The IOU's are worthless paper ...land and intrinsically valuable items are preferable so that's what drives them. Unless the giveaway mentality here changes we will borrow ourselves into servitude.

I read everything here so far and nope that hasn't been said and needed to be said. First thing Chinese probably do with FCA is put a stop to pouring money into the showboat halo vehicle program known as SRT, and make the company start producing a more well rounded, more competitive, product line in general. Buh Bye SRT . . .
whistle.gif

Which completely eliminates anything that sets them apart from their product portfolio. That's why Mercedes has AMG, that's why BMW has their M division. The SRT products are a great way to get ridiculous performance at a palatable price. I've owned two SRT vehicles and they were/are both excellent.

Making Chrysler's product line mirror that of the likes of Toyota would summon their death knell. All the bland without any of the history of reliability that enables and encourages that appliance-like draw. Jeep sells precisely because it doesn't have all the character of a cool whip container, not because it is a reliability peer to the likes of the RAV-4.

Eliminating what sets Chrysler apart eliminates Chrysler. That uniqueness has made them soar and it has made them flounder. From the first HEMI to the Hellcat, Chryslers existence revolves around products that polarize. Sometimes that has worked in their favour, other times it has not. What they've never been is an appliance factory, and to turn them into one would completely remove any of the appeal that type of history generates. Nobody talks about that time they took their CR-V mudding. People don't flock to Top Fuel to watch B16's on Nitro. The 426 HEMI and the BOSS 429 were the reason the NASCAR rules were changed, not because Richard Petty was going too fast with a Toyota Stovebolt clone under the hood.

Not that any of this negates Chrysler's blunders. It doesn't mask the multiple bankruptcies, decades of poor management and a corporate culture that bred tupperware interiors and less than stellar reliability. The joint venture products mired in a cornucopia of bizarre issues with seemingly clueless support from corporate didn't help matter either. However, it does point to their somewhat unique history as being the odd man out and it working for them. In that vein, improving their product line whilst maintaining their identity is, IMHO, paramount to their survival.

SRT's are not Chrysler problem. Chrysler problem was that they made ultimate POS products that should make money. Problem with American auto industry started from the moment when accountants took over decision making process.
While one can say Jeep Cherokee SRT is good car, problem is that Chrysler does not make vehicle that can compete with Camry or Accord and make money.

I believe we are in agreement. Chrysler needs to improve their "average" car portfolio and get people into the showroom to buy them. That latter bit, that draw, has always been the strong point of the halo cars like the Viper, SRT's and most recently the Hellcat and the new Demon. Get them in there to drool over the Viper and sell them a minivan. It's a technique that works. However, the product you are selling has to be of sufficient quality to bring that person back in for a new one, and that's where things have historically fallen apart. It isn't the guys buying the high dollar cars that they are losing on repeat sales, those guys don't matter. Selling a couple SRT's a month isn't keeping your dealership afloat, you need to sell average cars to average people and a significant part of that is repeat sales, which also breeds word of mouth. If people think your products are garbage, they aren't going to buy another one, and they certainly aren't going to recommend that brand to their friends!

The LX cars are generally pretty good, particularly since they updated the interior, but that platform is getting old. They've done a good job in utilizing the Mercedes developed and co-developed platforms like the LX and WK2, which is found under the skin of the Durango and Grand Cherokee, but they can't milk that forever.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I for one think that current Ferrari road cars are nothing more than fast appliances, so Ferrari wouldn't be much of a loss.

I'm not concerned about the road cars; I'll never afford one, and even if I could, that would be about as practical in this province as year round rollerskating.
I'm concerned for the F1 team, and the last thing we need is a big conglomerate (Chinese or otherwise) yanking them out of the series when the CFO sees the eye watering team budget. There's enough danger of that with other OEMs in the series, and we've seen it happen already a few times over the years.

Okay, that I can understand.
Ferrari has fielded Grand Prix cars since what, 1948?
The old man even ran Alfa's team pre-war.

whistle.gif

Spoken like someone whose favorite Ford/GM/Toyota/BMW/whatever couldn't hang with the best. :p

Seriously, SRT, Jeep, the minivans, and Ram are what define the Chrysler component of FCA right now, and all those are at the top of the game. Why on EARTH would any potential buyer mess with the best part of what they're buying, that would be stupid. If you've ever driven an SRT, a Camaro SS, a CTS-V, and a Mustang GT, you would know that the SRT is as good or better than any of the others, and is having NO problem attracting buyers in that (smallish) market segment. SRT isn't the problem...

As others have said, the only areas where FCA has totally failed is in the area of a reliable, efficient, and popular entry-level car that will bring young buyers into the fold, and establish a positive image for the brand, and retain those buyers as they move up to the premium brands and models. The last entry level car they had was the Neon, and that was developed back in the 90s when Chrysler was Chrysler before being sucked dry by Mercedes and then Cerberus.

Also, y'all know that FCA declined the Chinese offer (for now) right?

https://ca.motor1.com/news/176867/fca-rejects-takeover-chinese-automaker/

My son's 2007 "300" V6 is at 160k - only time in shop = trans ATF changed...
(did gear oil 1st ATF) ...

Exactly. None of their smaller cars are sharpened up to the point of competitiveness with the better offerings. Many are serviceable but some are absolute junk. Their trucks and SUV/Crossovers do very well, but are dated.

SRT cars and trucks are completely different, always big sellers and frequently have stealers tacking on big extra profits. They simply can't get enough of them.

That's the other nice thing about SRT vehicles. Limited supply makes them much more rare and thus keeps the prices up...

Chrysler would be better off if it didn't have to make cars no one wants to buy.
RAM, Jeep,rwd cars, Minivans.. All profit.
They make little 4cyl cars only to keep their fleet average MPG down. Every year piles of unsold units end up as rental car stock. Probably sold at a loss. Only made to satisfy some regulations.

Back in the day when I worked as a Master Tech on cars from every manufacturer, I noticed trends. Ford's had weak transmissions. GM's had intake manifold gasket, and steering rack issues, Chrysler had cheaper build quality. Toyota's were generally very well made. Nissan's weren't as good as Toyota's, Honda's rusted easily. Subaru's rusted even worse. I could keep going, but I don't have all day.

Most of the manufacturers have improved their product lines since then. Back then, I likely wouldn't have owned a then-current Chrysler product. These days, I own two FCA products. Their build quality is as good as anything available in their respective categories, and they have had no issues.

If they are sold to a Chinese concern, I'll hope that the vehicles continue to improve, and that they keep pushing the limits with their SRT vehicles.

Chinese ownership doesn't seem to have hurt Volvo. Buick's are built in China, and soon Fords will be too.

Whether we like it or not, it's a global economy.

To your point - GM has sold a number of cars in China - and there are some places that like their own - or don't go crazy over Toyota/Honda ... Korea for example ...

GM builds engines in China that wind up in US-assembled cars (or at least did at one time... the majority of the engines in the first few years of the Chevy Equinox were reportedly built in China).

Globalism isn't new, its been here for a while, like it or not.

"Also, y'all know that FCA declined the Chinese offer (for now) right?"

They will be back. Fiat is desperate for the money, or should I say Marchionne?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Exactly. None of their smaller cars are sharpened up to the point of competitiveness with the better offerings. Many are serviceable but some are absolute junk. Their trucks and SUV/Crossovers do very well, but are dated.

SRT cars and trucks are completely different, always big sellers and frequently have stealers tacking on big extra profits. They simply can't get enough of them.

That's the other nice thing about SRT vehicles. Limited supply makes them much more rare and thus keeps the prices up...

Problem is that Mercedes platforms are already outdated. What FIAT can offer for the future? FIAT is not known as company that regularly delivers good product. They make [censored] products and then when everyone says they make [censored] cars, they decide to make brilliant product, kind of just to show they can do it. I owned Alfa Romeo 146 with boxer engine, Lancia Lybra with 2.4 JTD engine. Those are unappreciated but really good drivers cars. Then now this Alfa Giulia is amazing car. Problem is, those are exceptions, usually FIAT delivers nightmare to European drivers.
It would be good if FCA delivers good replacement for Durango which is I think cash cow, but is outdated (weight). Hopefully next gen. will be as good and better then current.
JEEP I think has biggest potential, but they need to deliver Wrangler that actually is more robust then average Toyota Corolla. For American auto industry it is long road ahead. I think FCA and FORD have good potential. I am not so sure about GM and where they going.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
They bought Volvo. They buy real estate like candy. Just have too much money and don't know what to do with it. I think it is a big problem and shouldn't be allowed, but won't be around long enough to see the outcome of all this.

do the chinese still own volvo? nevermind i looked it up...they do
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
That would be awful if it were to happen.

Also, side note, I didn't know Pirelli was sold to the Chinese???!!!

Pirelli, GE, Motorola, Volvo, MG, Smithfield Hams, Club Med, Hoover, Dirt Devil, Waldorf Astoria, AMC theaters, Sunseeker ultra exclusive yachts, etc.

GE? nonsense...low value items were spun off, yes, but the big profit businesses like aircraft engines were not sold. And could not be - GEAE supplies military engines.

Brons - he's likely talking about Haier's acquisition of the GE Appliances brand. They needed to raise money, they always need to cut this or that.
PS - I worked for GEAE until last year when GE cut $500 million from the GEAE budget. I hate GE now. They lure people in with promises of great pay and a great company, and then slash divisions wholesale for a profit motive. I could argue about this for a while, I'll just stop now.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
GM builds engines in China that wind up in US-assembled cars (or at least did at one time... the majority of the engines in the first few years of the Chevy Equinox were reportedly built in China).

Globalism isn't new, its been here for a while, like it or not.

For a while is right. My 1992 Explorer has an engine built in Cologne, Germany, a transmission built in Bordeaux, a Ford 8.8 rear axle, a Dana 30 front and a Borg-Warner transfer case . . . and those are the components I can confirm. It's a Frankentruk.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, that I can understand.
Ferrari has fielded Grand Prix cars since what, 1948?
The old man even ran Alfa's team pre-war.

Yes, he was doing it along time. Sergio hangs out mucking things up enough as it is, let alone having the Chinese snatch it up.
wink.gif

Problem is that Mercedes platforms are already outdated.

People keep parroting that statement about the Mercedes-derived LX/LC Chrysler vehicles with absolutely NO justification other than "its design roots go back to the 90s and the LX has been in production since 2005." Well, yeah? So flippin' what? Its not like there haven't been incremental (and not-so-incremental) improvements that whole time. I have driven the latest Camaro (Alpha platform, less than 5 years old) and the latest Mustang (similar). Other than the fact that they're both smaller and lighter and therefore inherently more nimble, there's not any glaring difference that can be attributed to the Challenger's "old" platform architecture. If anything, it is more remarkable for remaining in the same zip-code with them despite spotting them 600 pounds or so. Suspension tuning, selectable-rate dampers, drivetrain, interior, stability systems... ALL those are very improved in 2017 over what they were in 2005. Its not like engineers have discovered anything new in suspension design in the past 20 years anyway. Could the same size vehicle be re-rendered to save some weight compared to the basic chassis from 2005? Probably. But unless they make it SMALLER, its still going to weigh more than an Alpha-platform Camaro. I'll take the added size and better rough-road manners, since I'm not going to be racing it anyway, thank you.

What FIAT can offer for the future?

Now that is a very good question. Right now the Chrysler component of FCA is definitely short on money to develop new offerings. A new Wrangler is in the works, but a Challenger/Charger replacement probably won't happen before 2020 and maybe even longer for a major update to the Grand Cherokee (although nobody's gritching about Benz needing to update THEIR vehicle built on exactly the same platform... double-standard in full play). When you only have the support from the parent company to develop ONE platform at a time, things get grim pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back