Europe to Automakers: Buttons and knobs are safer than touchscreens

Woman killed, accidentally put Tesla into reverse.

I don't get how anyone accidentally puts any car into reverse and applies throttle. The vast majority of Teslas have the Mercedes shifter, so unless this is the absolute newest model(story doesn't say) it wouldn't have the touch screen shifter. I've never driven a Tesla without the Mercedes shifter, so I can't say how that is to use. Neither of these methods can be used without first pushing and holding the brake, selecting the gear, and then actually applying throttle. They don't naturally creep like a gasoline car unless someone has selected this option deep in the menu.

tesla-model-x-gear-selector.jpg

I don't get how anyone accidentally puts any car into reverse and applies throttle. The vast majority of Teslas have the Mercedes shifter, so unless this is the absolute newest model(story doesn't say) it wouldn't have the touch screen shifter. I've never driven a Tesla without the Mercedes shifter, so I can't say how that is to use. Neither of these methods can be used without first pushing and holding the brake, selecting the gear, and then actually applying throttle. They don't naturally creep like a gasoline car unless someone has selected this option deep in the menu.

tesla-model-x-gear-selector.jpg
And still, unless you dead leg the go pedal and have the response of a sloth, not like the car is going mire than a foot or two before realizing "whoopsie!"

Although I am various refrigerators from Toyota or Honda, if I were buying a new Atlas today, I would go for a Grand Highlander or Pilot precisely for this reason. Actually, Honda basically copied Atlas 2018-2023 HVAC setup.

...and most new BMW, Range Rover etc you can only check the oil level thru the screen as there is NO dipstick.
It's been like this for almost 20 years now. It's not really a problem other than being annoying. The tiny display on the gauge cluster on most BMWs, even as far back as E9x will warn you that you are one quart low. Not all BMWs had iDrive screens and my F87 would tell you even if that screen didn't work.

Removing the dipstick is annoying but the sensor is a great idea. I can't count the number of dead Kias and Subaru's I've heard of because the owner never checked the oil and they burn oil, being Kias and Subarus.

As I've said before, one reason I picked the C43 over the M340I was the Bimmer's unattractive and unintuitive touchscreen.
It's way better than the MB setup in my opinion and easy to set up shortcuts. The MB solution requires you to look downward away from the road, just like a brand new Jeep. Terrible.

Woman killed, accidentally put Tesla into reverse.

Happens on mechanical shifts too. More people put selector in wrong position or bump on non EV then EV by long shot…..

Arteon? I can't think of too many modern options that still have climate buttons, but I know that's the new horn button. The Jetta is still on the MK7 stuff, but I'm pretty sure those all use the knobs in my car.
My wife's '22 Atlas has buttons/knobs for at least the major HVAC stuff-temperature, fan, defrost. seat heaters. etc. IIRC, you can dig into the touchscreen to really dial in some zones of the climate control or to do something like adjust the backseat zone from up front(independently of just syncing it to the rest of the car), but just for the every day I'm hot/I'm cold/the windows are fogging up adjustments, the knobs cover it.

I'm guessing newer ones have gone away from this set up? IMO what hers has really does a nice job using physical buttons/knobs for the things you are likely to need or want to access frequently, especially while driving, along with letting you do more advanced things from the touch screen.

The 2018 Compass she traded in for the Atlas I thought did a good job of mixing buttons/knobs and the touch screen as well, although 2018 is also ancient as car design goes.

It's way better than the MB setup in my opinion and easy to set up shortcuts. The MB solution requires you to look downward away from the road, just like a brand new Jeep. Terrible.
In my W205 C43 I can access most every function using the touchpads on the steering wheel. I can also configure the displays to show the information I want to see. I recently spent several days in a new 3er loaner and I felt absolutely no regret at leaving the BMW fold.

My wife's '22 Atlas has buttons/knobs for at least the major HVAC stuff-temperature, fan, defrost. seat heaters. etc. IIRC, you can dig into the touchscreen to really dial in some zones of the climate control or to do something like adjust the backseat zone from up front(independently of just syncing it to the rest of the car), but just for the every day I'm hot/I'm cold/the windows are fogging up adjustments, the knobs cover it.

I'm guessing newer ones have gone away from this set up? IMO what hers has really does a nice job using physical buttons/knobs for the things you are likely to need or want to access frequently, especially while driving, along with letting you do more advanced things from the touch screen.

The 2018 Compass she traded in for the Atlas I thought did a good job of mixing buttons/knobs and the touch screen as well, although 2018 is also ancient as car design goes.
The new GTI definitely has lost the knobs and buttons, but I think the ID.4 is what started the trend. I’m not sure how far it has went because it looks like so far that Audi have kept the buttons.

My 2024 Jetta GLI.

It has volume and tuning knobs on the radio. The dual-zone HVAC and heated seats have buttons and dials.
USB-C ports, wireless phone charging pad. I would prefer if it had a hand parking brake being a stick, but the brake releases automatically being in gear and releasing the clutch.

Note: I stream KFI on iHeart Radio. If you want the commercials for the station you listen to, the zip code must be set for the radio station marketing area and don't have your location service on. Or you will often get ads blocked and replaced with dumb crap like Ryan Seacrest talking about music for 90 seconds otherwise.

IMG_6610 2.JPG

Back