Chinese looking to buy FCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That would be awful if it were to happen.

Also, side note, I didn't know Pirelli was sold to the Chinese???!!!

Pirelli, GE, Motorola, Volvo, MG, Smithfield Hams, Club Med, Hoover, Dirt Devil, Waldorf Astoria, AMC theaters, Sunseeker ultra exclusive yachts, etc.

Well, half of Motorola, the Mobility side, which was originally sold to Google, and then Google sold it to Lenovo. I believe Motorola Solutions, which handles the radio stuff, is still US owned.

Similarly to GE, whose household appliance line was what was sold to Haier.

Volvo - Yep.

The rest of the list doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That would be awful if it were to happen.

Also, side note, I didn't know Pirelli was sold to the Chinese???!!!

Pirelli, GE, Motorola, Volvo, MG, Smithfield Hams, Club Med, Hoover, Dirt Devil, Waldorf Astoria, AMC theaters, Sunseeker ultra exclusive yachts, etc.

Milwaukee, Royal, HomeLite, Oreck, Starwood Hotels (W, ALoft, etc), Ingram Micro, Terex, Skill, Legendary Entertainment, Syngenta, Energy Corp, Fiskar, Evenflo, Brookstone, Meadowbrook, Alliance HealthCare, Newegg, Genworth...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Right now they're so constrained, they had to completely drop small and midsized cars.

I'm sure the Chinese know this, and are going to ship small Chinese cars to the US to fill this gap.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Imagine Ram pickups in China. Will they have to install booster seats?

LOL They might.........

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Fiat has been trying to unload Chrysler for some time now. The shotgun marriage was doomed from the start.

Uh, little revisionist history there? Part of the reason Fiat wanted to buy Chrysler was to make the WHOLE COMPANY more palatable for a big sale. Or at least that's what Sergio Marchionne seems to have wanted all along- seems that's what he wants to be his legacy.

I'd hate to see the most innovative and daring American car manufacturer finally fall to China, but if China has deep pockets and stays the heck out of design/production (as they have done with Continental aircraft engines which they've owned for many years) it might be a good thing for Chrysler.

Just watch out for spyware in the engine controller :-/

I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread so maybe its been said. ...It makes massive sense for China to be buying anything that's not nailed down. The "Money" they're using are the digital IOU's we have been giving them every time we borrow to support our lavish social and corporate welfare systems. Point being The IOU's are worthless paper ...land and intrinsically valuable items are preferable so that's what drives them. Unless the giveaway mentality here changes we will borrow ourselves into servitude.

If they do buy them,they will be a head to head competitor with the Buick Envision....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
They bought Volvo. They buy real estate like candy. Just have too much money and don't know what to do with it. I think it is a big problem and shouldn't be allowed, but won't be around long enough to see the outcome of all this.
When the Japanese were flush they bought a bunch of overvalued real estate in Manhattan and later lost their shirts on it.

I was thinking the same thing. If you are the big buyer, driving up prices, don't be shocked if the market corrects for the self-created bubble.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread so maybe its been said. ...It makes massive sense for China to be buying anything that's not nailed down. The "Money" they're using are the digital IOU's we have been giving them every time we borrow to support our lavish social and corporate welfare systems. Point being The IOU's are worthless paper ...land and intrinsically valuable items are preferable so that's what drives them. Unless the giveaway mentality here changes we will borrow ourselves into servitude.

I read everything here so far and nope that hasn't been said and needed to be said. First thing Chinese probably do with FCA is put a stop to pouring money into the showboat halo vehicle program known as SRT, and make the company start producing a more well rounded, more competitive, product line in general. Buh Bye SRT . . .
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Does this mean the US taxpayer might finally get their $$$ back?????

If so, we out to unload General Motors on them too.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Uh, little revisionist history there? Part of the reason Fiat wanted to buy Chrysler was to make the WHOLE COMPANY more palatable for a big sale. Or at least that's what Sergio Marchionne seems to have wanted all along- seems that's what he wants to be his legacy.

In retrospect, thankfully Ferrari got hived off from the collective already, should this come to pass.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Every automaker out there wants Jeep. There is no brand that offers so much profit and demand. They also have a profitable minivan segment. The rest of vehicles in lineup for every owner seem to languish with some occasional hits.

Why? Sure it's an "iconic brand" but that's about it.

Jeep owners are no more or less loyal than other brands:
http://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-release/...-awards-present

They are having sales declines too:
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2017/07/23/jeep-sales-dip-new-vehicles/476488001/
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/04/04/sagging-jeep-sales-are-hurting-fiat-chrysler-autom.aspx
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170601/RETAIL01/170609971/fca%3A-9th-straight-decline-as-jeep-struggles

I think alot of people buy one Wrangler in their lifetime atleast, get it out of their system and may or may not get a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee to replace it. No other model that I can think of except perhaps the Mustang, has that kind of drawing power.
Thankfully I never had any desire for any Jeep product.

"Uh, little revisionist history there? Part of the reason Fiat wanted to buy Chrysler was to make the WHOLE COMPANY more palatable for a big sale. Or at least that's what Sergio Marchionne seems to have wanted all along- seems that's what he wants to be his legacy."

What is revisionist here? The marriage was forced by the prior US administration. Even the article describes it as such. Marchionne is a big spender, that's for sure. In the end, Fiat got access to the US market and the consumers said "meh". Fiat should have booted Sergio long ago but it's too late now.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170814...noreUserAgent=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

In retrospect, thankfully Ferrari got hived off from the collective already, should this come to pass.

I for one think that current Ferrari road cars are nothing more than fast appliances, so Ferrari wouldn't be much of a loss.
Gone are the days of timeless design and cars that actually required some skill to use as intended, or even to shift through the external gate.
There is a reason that cars like the 365 GTB/4 command such insane prices, and it's all in the speed, the sound, the look and the glorious V-12 wearing six two barrel Webers.
Ferrari has been as heavily commercialized as Lambo and Maserati.
The old man must be rolling over in his grave.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

I read everything here so far and nope that hasn't been said and needed to be said. First thing Chinese probably do with FCA is put a stop to pouring money into the showboat halo vehicle program known as SRT, and make the company start producing a more well rounded, more competitive, product line in general. Buh Bye SRT . . .
whistle.gif

Which completely eliminates anything that sets them apart from their product portfolio. That's why Mercedes has AMG, that's why BMW has their M division. The SRT products are a great way to get ridiculous performance at a palatable price. I've owned two SRT vehicles and they were/are both excellent.

Making Chrysler's product line mirror that of the likes of Toyota would summon their death knell. All the bland without any of the history of reliability that enables and encourages that appliance-like draw. Jeep sells precisely because it doesn't have all the character of a cool whip container, not because it is a reliability peer to the likes of the RAV-4.

Eliminating what sets Chrysler apart eliminates Chrysler. That uniqueness has made them soar and it has made them flounder. From the first HEMI to the Hellcat, Chryslers existence revolves around products that polarize. Sometimes that has worked in their favour, other times it has not. What they've never been is an appliance factory, and to turn them into one would completely remove any of the appeal that type of history generates. Nobody talks about that time they took their CR-V mudding. People don't flock to Top Fuel to watch B16's on Nitro. The 426 HEMI and the BOSS 429 were the reason the NASCAR rules were changed, not because Richard Petty was going too fast with a Toyota Stovebolt clone under the hood.

Not that any of this negates Chrysler's blunders. It doesn't mask the multiple bankruptcies, decades of poor management and a corporate culture that bred tupperware interiors and less than stellar reliability. The joint venture products mired in a cornucopia of bizarre issues with seemingly clueless support from corporate didn't help matter either. However, it does point to their somewhat unique history as being the odd man out and it working for them. In that vein, improving their product line whilst maintaining their identity is, IMHO, paramount to their survival.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I for one think that current Ferrari road cars are nothing more than fast appliances, so Ferrari wouldn't be much of a loss.

I'm not concerned about the road cars; I'll never afford one, and even if I could, that would be about as practical in this province as year round rollerskating.
I'm concerned for the F1 team, and the last thing we need is a big conglomerate (Chinese or otherwise) yanking them out of the series when the CFO sees the eye watering team budget. There's enough danger of that with other OEMs in the series, and we've seen it happen already a few times over the years.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
People are still buying Italian Jeeps but will they buy Chinese Jeeps? Everyone takes a shot at owning Jeep, why not the Chinese?

Imagine Ram pickups in China. Will they have to install booster seats?

I sell a lot of automotive accessories to the Chinese. The Ram, along with the F150/Raptor and Tundra are already there in sizable, but grey market, numbers. Ford opened up a direct sales channel for the Raptor this year.

Jeeps were manufactured in China in the early 80's with the Beijing Jeep joint venture. The Chinese have a lot of loyalty to the Jeep brand.

The four companies mentioned in the article are all sizable in China. Great Wall sells in over 30 countries now. The one company not mentioned is the one that is entering the US market from a different angle. BYD is selling all electric commercial vehicles to the US and other countries now.

As a side note, during one of my first trips to China I noticed BYD's cars because of a cool feature I hadn't seen before, lighted emblems.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Ram: The Great Wall® Edition
ironically that would violate the copyright to the name off Great Wall Motors.. and Chinese companies sue sue sue in Chinese court all the time against Westerners selling products with the same name in China. But I digress significantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back