Bought another BMW: 2000 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nleksan
Just let me know if there is ANYTHING you need to know. As you know, I have essentially taken my entire car apart and put it back together a couple times
wink.gif

The M52tuB28 is a fantastic engine, internally it is incredibly similar to the 96-99 US M3 S52B32, and it is a great engine to tinker with and is very easy to get a bit of extra power out of for very cheap (relative to M54 and beyond N/A motors), with an AFE Stg1 intake and Conforti Shark Injector showing over 15whp gain in 92*F weather on my car with zero other mods. Headers and an exhaust do wonders too, as do Underdrive Pulleys and once all that is done, a bigger TB (get a used Dinan).
If you need any maintenance help, I would be more than happy to help.

Now, first things first...
1) RP or RL 5w30/40 and OE or KN Oil Filter
2) Redline D4 ATF in gearbox and PS
3) RL 75w90 in diff
4) Motul RBF600 in brakes
5) OEM NGK Spark Plugs and Bosch boots
6) OE Fuel Filter
7) OE Charcoal Cabin Air Filter
8) Check battery and replace w Odyssey ltw battery if new is needed
9) Replace "guibo"
10) Start saving for suspension bushing overhaul w Powerflex Polyurethane bushings
11) Run RL SI-1 every other tank for a few thousand miles
12) Seafoam Deep Creep for TB cleaning and EGR/PCV/SAP cleaning
13) Flush Coolant and replace with BMW Coolant and 1btl RL Water Wetter for the extra 5s it will give you in case of part failure

That should have it running like new, although the suspension is probably getting worn. I would go with KW V1 or V2 coils and Rogue Engineering RSMs, as Bilstein and KYB Yellows just do not feel right to me. StopTech Stg2 brake upgrade is a great deal at 599 for 4 slotted discs, StopTech Street Performance pads, ST SS lines, Motul RBF600 x3, etc.

I think you just got a little too excited there, LOL!!
grin.gif

I have the M5 for the "fun stuff", this car is for my wife, so it isn't getting any performance mods.

OE filters it will get, oil will be Mobil 1 0w40, same as the M5 gets.

Battery is OK, coolant will likely be changed at some point in the spring.

I was advised the bushings were looking worn by the mech that did the safety, though there wasn't any play, as everything passed. So I'll keep those components in mind.

BTW, my sister has a few Dinan parts on the her 330i, including their TB. It gets up and scoots quite well. IIRC it has the TB, CAI and tune on it.

For the most part, since I get a good deal on BMW parts, that's what it is going to get.

Sorry to disappoint
smile.gif

No disappointment, I just know how well you treat your cars and figured it would be nice to know there is another E46 out there that will be in good condition for another 12yrs or so. Regarding the maintenance listed, though, I HIGHLY recommend all of that with the car being 12-13yrs old with that many miles. All new driveline fluids, filters, spark, and cleaned up manifold/TB will do so much. I did that exact list on a 2000 328i a friend bought a year and a half ago with 135k on it and very few receipts... Manual/Sport/Xenons.... It seriously felt like the car gained back 20hp that it had lost, and fuel economy went from 23.7mpg to 27.6mpg. Not to mention the RP cleaned out a ton of gunk, based on before/after valvetrain and pan removal.
I would at least give RP/RL a few OCIs to see if it cleans for you. If it doesn't, no harm, but if it does, you win. IMO, of course.

Well, I DO have a large stash of RL 5w30 on hand
wink.gif
Mwa-hahahaha

I'll do all the maintenance items, no worry there. That includes fluids and plugs....etc. And anything else I find it might need.

My point was that it will get OEM parts for pretty much everything since I get a good deal on BMW parts through a dealership in the GTA, and since the car is stock, and for my wife, I can't see it benefiting from any "go fast" goodies
smile.gif

I will snap a pic of the valvetrain when I do the valve cover gasket, which may be as early as this evening depending on how ambitious I feel and assuming everything I ordered shows up today.

Oh, and a question for you, since I haven't checked yet. What is the spec'd fluid for this transmission? It is an automatic.

So, tie-rod end is made in Germany.

Will check the other parts when I get home. Car should be safetied this afternoon, then just an e-test and she's on the road.

Congrats on the car, very nice, a childhood friend had one of those gen beemers, was a blast to drive and very good at the pump as well.
That seat looks like my cat had a go at it!

Originally Posted By: nleksan
If it is the more common auto, most people I know use RL D4 ATF.

That is not a very "available" fluid up here is the problem
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cchase
Doesn't bavauto sell Redline D4? Or will they not ship stuff like that across the border?

I haven't tried.

Oh, and the car is on the road now. Got the safety this AM (tie rod end was apparently a real bear to change) and the e-test shortly after.

FLEW through the E-test (idle/@speed):

NOX limit: 150
NOX reading: 4/15
CO limit: 0.70
CO reading: 0.02/0.02

Valve cover gasket tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Don't start on that one! My wife already has been joking about it (getting an X5).

But the Expedition is RELIABLE. I know I can go out, turn the key, pull a car trailer (done many times), take it 4x4'ing, beat the tar out of it and it will get me home.

It has taken us to the east coast and back in snow storms, driving rain, pulled out stuck trucks....etc. It has been worked for almost 100,000Km over the last three years and needed what I would consider minimal maintenance to do it.

My dad is considering getting rid of his Townie (and getting an X5 now, originally he was wanting a Benz) but wants to keep the Expedition.... For the same reason I've listed above. It has towed U-haul trailers from down east numerous times over the last couple of years and beyond mostly regular maintenance, has been bulletproof.

They are Ford trucks. You can change the starter in a parking lot (had to do that on mom and dad's), work on them without a jack and just a regular socket set. There is something to be said for that, and why I want to hold on to it. It has been a very good vehicle, it is in excellent shape and I see no sense in getting rid of something that has served us so well.

Congrats on the new 3-series!

And I agree, KEEP the Expo!

While I do not miss paying for the fuel, I do have moments where I say "man! my Ford truck would be perfect to have in this situation!!"

Does not hurt having one around at all!

Oh, and I don't know what the "rated" fuel economy for this car is, but I was able to go over 500Km's on $50.00 of gasoline (@ $1.28/L) which works out to be close to 30Mpg........
crazy2.gif

I'm impressed for mixed driving!

In comparison, the Expedition, on the same $50.00 (but regular, $1.13/L) went 128Km's. That's an incredible 7.5Mpg. 100% city, but still disgusting.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Nice pics, looks even better than expected, and cant beat the price. Valve cover gaskets are not a tough job. Hardest part is taking off the cabin filter housing, theyre t-30. Remove cabin filter, remove cover. Remove weatherstripping and 5-6 retained t-30s. Pull off. Beer break. Now resume the VCG.
Order a power steering reservoir gasket, you can see the bottle is covered in dirt. This happens when people slam the cap on and ruin the rubber washer. Even better, order a bottle since it has a filter built in. Make sure you dont need other p/s repairs first though haha.
I highly recommend the DWS' Weve put them on customer cars ranging from a VW Jetta to Porsche Cayenne S. As stated, the only complaint was a softer ride, but theyre usually about 20% less than Michelins. For an SL500, they were about 35% cheaper compared to the Pilot Sport A/S. Thats a benchmark tire though.

Hey, regarding the PS reservoir, it appears as thought the rubber washer is missing. That would explain the leak. Also, it was way down on fluid, and the fluid was awful looking. I did a drain/fill of the reservoir tonight with RP ATF. I guess I'll be ordering a new washer.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Valvetrain pics?

Well unfortunately, I don't have any
frown.gif

I had somebody I know at a dealer I do some work for offer to do it for me as a favor. I thought it was a generous offer and prevented me from having to do it in my driveway.

He said it was pretty varnished up though when I asked. So I guess we'll have to use our imagination until I have a reason to pull the cover off.

So, the valve cover gasket is seeping a bit at the half moons in the front. I'm thinking the mechanic didn't RTV these, which he was supposed to. So I'll be taking it back off to do with some Ford Grey.

Also have a set of new plugs for it, fixed the sticking drivers door lock (the insert in the top of the door panel was in backwards) and I've flushed the PS fluid 3x so far and the steering is getting much freer.

The PS fluid is STILL awful looking, even after 3x changes. I'll continue to flush it until it stays looking good. It is getting better, but slowly.

It has a little bit of a surging idle in the morning sometimes while the air pump runs, though I think this is somewhat normal.

No burning oil smell anymore with the new valve cover gasket, so that problem is fixed.

First oil change is coming up (it uses no oil) soon. I'm going to use some of that 5w30 Redline from my stash I've decided. Once that's gone, it will get M1 0w40 like the M5.

Also will be doing the ATF shortly.

We are very happy with the car at this point, and the gas mileage/fun factor it provides.

To update this thread, I posted some pics in a separate thread, but figured I'd add them here as well.

I pulled the valve cover to seal the ends where the mechanic didn't RTV like you are supposed to. He wasn't kidding regarding the varnish
frown.gif

338iengine01.jpg

338iengine02.jpg

338iengine03.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back