I am done with my BMW updates ...

Nice! A real enthusiasts car. Agreed, great engine and wicked smooth 6MT. Good on you for holding out to find exactly what you wanted.

(Maybe someday the stars align and I can get one of the ones that got away; The Z4 M Coupe

The z4m is my favorite chic car.

That said, Im not a BMW fan, I'm a B58 fan. Nothing else they have shoved under the hood is worth beans to me except in the realm of "oh, thats so smooth revving" or "oh, it sounds good!" I want something quick, and B58 is that thing. The rest of it is just paper tigers like the v8 in the E92.

So, so sad to see BMW turn from a ¨"mechanics car" a car for the driver enthusiast, a car over engineered with new ideals, a niche vehicle with clever adjustments and performance.

To see them totally flip to a SUV luxury brand with useless gadgets that distract from the driving experience.
:(

Hopefully not hijacking thread, but wanted to share since there are some e90 fans here.

400,000 miles on an e90. Very surprising how little wore out. Such a great platform from BMW.

After Miata it is most common on track. It is super strong chassis and RWD can be easily and cheaply upgraded to M specifications when it comes to suspension and brakes.
N54 can do easily 900-1000hp if tuner knows what is doing. But ghat becomes super expensive product.
One thing is that E82/88 is basically E90 chassis but lighter. 128 is becoming really expensive with 6MT as track crowd is getting them left and right.

That said, Im not a BMW fan, I'm a B58 fan. Nothing else they have shoved under the hood is worth beans to me except in the realm of "oh, thats so smooth revving" or "oh, it sounds good!" I want something quick, and B58 is that thing. The rest of it is just paper tigers like the v8 in the E92.
Lol. Take EV6 against that “paper tiger” on track and see what happens.

This is what is used to draw air to it. This is attached to air duct that draws air to the brakes. The bottom part, a small hole, takes air to the brakes, upper part, a larger hole, is bolted onto the cooler:
Not familiar with that mounting location for an oil cooler.
How likely are the tires to throw trash into the oil cooler?

lots of trash on roads here.

Lots of sports cars have that now, either for oil or coolant. FWIW, I have 2 RX8s with over 400k miles on the chassis between them, and still original coolers. Each has 2 in that position.

This keeps things from flying in, and it is really effective. I had same worries, but on BMW forums no one had issues with that, so took a chance. I run snow tires and they pick up a lot of stuff, but no scraps on this plastic.
IMG_2304.jpeg

Lots of sports cars have that now, either for oil or coolant. FWIW, I have 2 RX8s with over 400k miles on the chassis between them, and still original coolers. Each has 2 in that position.
New BMW’s are running sometimes two raditor type coolers and heat exchanger to get oil temperature high as soon as possible. Lime you said, it is common. But, it will become common on appliance vehicles too in order to chase mpg but keep oil temperature on check.

Doesn't happen. They only way they could get damaged is form the front like any other radiator.

So what's wrong with an E92 M3? Not fast enough?

Very cool project....kudos on the purchase and rehab/upgrades.
I didn’t cons that as upgrades, but engine does have brand new coolant hoses, coolant reservoir and aluminum Mickey Mouse flange. I would say hoses, reservoir and flange in total were $200.
Water pump too as I track car, so didn’t want any issues around that.

@edyvw, tracking your posts and especially this one, your knowledge and appreciation as a connoisseur for fine German performance vehicles is obvious. What is your take on x-drive? I know some threads talk smack about AWD from a purist perspective.

@edyvw, tracking your posts and especially this one, your knowledge and appreciation as a connoisseur for fine German performance vehicles is obvious. What is your take on x-drive? I know some threads talk smack about AWD from a purist perspective.
Definitely not RWD. RWD is faster, easier to maintain, less complex, most important, does not have extra weight in front. In E90 with N52 engine, RWD is 48/52% weight distribution. xDrive is 50/50, while in 335 xDrive, for example, it is 51/49%. It is not understeering as Audi, but, understeer is there, though you can still easily throw out the rear end as torque distribution is 40/60% while DME automatically switches distribution 20/80% when it figures out you are driving a car hard or on track.
It is still fun, but again, not RWD.
Now the thing is, I ski 1-2 times a week. I drop my kids at school and drive up, coming back around 5-6 pm. Love driving it up the mountains! But that requires snow tires, and AWD helps a lot. RWD would be a handful there, especially in the backcountry. So, for me, this is a compromise. Kind of, make the best out of it.
Still, once kids get older, I might get used M2. Will see. I like this one a lot.

Back