Dealer's Rose Colored Glasses...Just Wow

I keep toying with the idea of getting a vintage sedan for fun with another couple or the whole family. Browsing Hemmings and came across this ad for a BMW 2000, a non US small sedan that pre dated the BMW 2002 coupe.

First clue was the ad language followed by the pictures, which pretty blatantly contradict the ad text. Actually a bit surprised that this is in Hemmings like this. I'll have to try the "rust is...welcome" line one of these days.

I've read a lot of ads over the years but I got a chuckle out of this. Admittedly it is a project, but I guess I have a different understanding of "free of cracks" and "intact....nice finish".

"This “New Class” BMW is an important model in BMW history, with more presence and styling than its successor 2002. This particular example looks great in Blue over a black interior. This car runs, drives, and stops as it should and all systems are functional. Some rust in a few body panels is a welcome sight on a vintage BMW. All the hard-to-find chrome and trim is in excellent condition with minor exception. Interior is original and in good condition. The dash is free of cracks and all interior wood is intact with a nice finish (see the dash pics in the ad-w&w :D ). Headliner, door panels, and seat covers are all in very good shape. This is a perfect car for a new project."

Link to ad: Hemmings 1970 BMW 2000

Last edited:
"Some rust in a few body panels is a welcome sight on a vintage BMW." - LOL, words that have never been uttered by an owner of a vintage BMW.

Referring to it as a tii in the ad header isn't very honest either. It made me seek out the engine pictures though.

It would be a neat and unique ride, but you have to wonder what lies beneath.

That is a pretty sketchy ad, you are right.

And boy, that’s a crazy price for one so rough around the edges. I’ve had 2x 2002s over the years, so I know a little bit, but not much about these four doors in particular. The styling is pretty ham-fisted in comparison, actually.

I remember long ago, there would be a free magazine at the supermarket, maybe Auto Trader. This had to be the mid 90's because I'd stop whenever I saw 4th gen Maxima SE's and then I'd see which rims it had, the star ones from '97, or the earlier ones from 95-96.

What would always be curious is when it said, "hit left front, yard drives." There would be pics all around, EXCEPT the left front. This was for all the ads. Maybe someone remembers those days.

Am I blind?
This car doesn't look too bad to me considering that it is 50+ years old and is a terrifically rust prone model.
The asking does seem pretty rich, though.
The other cars listed by this seller also seemed a tad optimistically priced.
Ten grand for a first gen Civic?
Only around three times original price.

Back