I am done with my BMW updates ...

The 3 liter diesel with 2 or 3 turbos has gotta be my favorite engine so far. Not extremely powerful, but instant torque from 1200 to 5000 rpm makes for a fun experience. I drove a Mazda 3 that made the same power as the bmw diesel and it felt wayy faster but it wasn't a smooth car and handling was crap (worn suspension)
I had X5 with M57 twin turbo. That thing would roll asphalt bcs. torque.
In Europe police is often using BMW diesel as interceptors.

My dad has a 335d with the same engine, my grandpa liked my dad's bmw so much that he went and bought an X5 like yours.

Great engines, great cars, the transmissions are both on the edge of death.

I too once was faster on straight line on track than Porsche 911 GT-3.
Cool. All I know is I wasn't impressed. Interestingly, it only ran a 3:05 of the Lightning Lap. Ford Focus RS and Ford Mustang Ecoboost were quicker around the LL, so I can't even say that's awesome. It managed 8:05 around the 'Ring. 2 seconds faster than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack. I am just unimpressed with it other than sound. It sounds GOOD! The E46 was a much better car for it's time, though. Proportionally. The E92 was "just another choice."

Cool. All I know is I wasn't impressed. Interestingly, it only ran a 3:05 of the Lightning Lap. Ford Focus RS and Ford Mustang Ecoboost were quicker around the LL, so I can't even say that's awesome. It managed 8:05 around the 'Ring. 2 seconds faster than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack. I am just unimpressed with it other than sound. It sounds GOOD! The E46 was a much better car for it's time, though. Proportionally. The E92 was "just another choice."
Lol. Ok.
V8 is generally heavy in front. While better than majority of cars or MUCH better than that IS-F, it is still V8.
E46 is light. E46 CSL is still one of the fastest cars on Nordschleife . But you are talking inline 6. In BMW engines are pushed way back. Anyone who changed valve cover understands how far they are pushed. Although M2 has less power than M3 E92 it would obliterate 370Z in any performance category. And M2 or M235/240 is category of 370Z.
Still, regardless that E92 is heavier and generally larger car it is 12sec faster. That is actually bug deal, really big.

Last edited:
Lol. Ok.
V8 is generally heavy in front. While better than majority of cars or MUCH better than that IS-F, it is still V8.
E46 is light. E46 CSL is still one of the fastest cars on Nordschleife . But you are talking inline 6. In BMW engines are pushed way back. Anyone who changed valve cover understands how far they are pushed. Although M2 has less power than M3 E92 it would obliterate 370Z in any performance category. And M2 or M235/240 is category of 370Z.
Still, regardless that E92 is heavier and generally larger car it is 12sec faster. That is actually bug deal, really big.
Notice how they didnt use the boat anchor that the m3 did? M2 is an excellent car.

Notice how they didnt use the boat anchor that the m3 did? M2 is an excellent car.
How you mean anchor? It is still 12sec faster than that 370Z? And it would obliterate that EV6.
Street “races” among bunch of teenagers are hardly good gauge.

How you mean anchor? It is still 12sec faster than that 370Z? And it would obliterate that EV6.
Just ignore ws6, he'll eventually get over the fact that a bmw is nicer than a 370z or a Kia

I mean tha v8 they put in it for that one iteration before going back to 6 cylinder. Its a boat anchor.

As to "obliterating" my ev6? Well, we'll have to wait until some real track times get posted for the Ev6. I can tell you that at the drag strip though, not a chance.

I mean tha v8 they put in it for that one iteration before going back to 6 cylinder. Its a boat anchor.

As to "obliterating" my ev6? Well, we'll have to wait until some real track times get posted for the Ev6. I can tell you that at the drag strip though, not a chance.
I'm sorry. You beating some idiot on the street does not make a 370Z faster than an E92 M3 in a straight line. A stock 370Z vs stock E92 M3 is a murder. The 370Z traps almost 10 mph less in several magazine tests. You aren't getting that 10 mph of trap speed back with simple mods on an NA car. A stock 370Z is about even with an E46 M3, except that engine is much nicer and more responsive. I owned a VQ35DE so I'm not just hating on Nissan. It's a fine engine, but it's nothing special. I would take the S65 V8 any day even with the fact that it's basically self destructing from the factory. That V8 weighs less than the S54 I6 it replaced btw. They only went back to 6 cylinders with turbo because CAFE and EU regs.

I don't really like Lightning Lap as a comparison unless it's from the exact same year. VIR has been resurfaced multiple times and track conditions are different every year. It's a power track too and favors straight line speed. This year the Supra MT was a lot faster than the auto Supra they ran before and I really don't think that it's because the '23 MT Supra is actually much faster. However, yeah, the E92 didn't blow away the competition in terms of numbers. I won't argue that the E46 is my favorite, but don't sleep on E92. The value is only going to go up and the V8 is a gem other than the bearings.

Last edited:
Yep. The E92 also was on Michelin PS2 tires. If you put all these cars on modern tires you will see the differences are not as extreme as some think. Plus the E92 was set up softer than most M3s stock and can benefit a lot from coilovers.

So wait, KIA still did not put in the time? All that marketing on Nordschleife, and they still did not, sorry, do not want to put time?
Yeah, that tells everything.

AAs for the drag strip, remember my comment about my grandma. All EV's are good in a straight line. The problem is there are curves.

So wait, KIA still did not put in the time? All that marketing on Nordschleife, and they still did not, sorry, do not want to put time?
Yeah, that tells everything.

AAs for the drag strip, remember my comment about my grandma. All EV's are good in a straight line. The problem is there are curves.
No official lap times. Im annoyed by it as well and waiting.

I'm sorry. You beating some idiot on the street does not make a 370Z faster than an E92 M3 in a straight line. A stock 370Z vs stock E92 M3 is a murder. The 370Z traps almost 10 mph less in several magazine tests. You aren't getting that 10 mph of trap speed back with simple mods on an NA car. A stock 370Z is about even with an E46 M3, except that engine is much nicer and more responsive. I owned a VQ35DE so I'm not just hating on Nissan. It's a fine engine, but it's nothing special. I would take the S65 V8 any day even with the fact that it's basically self destructing from the factory. That V8 weighs less than the S54 I6 it replaced btw. They only went back to 6 cylinders with turbo because CAFE and EU regs.

I don't really like Lightning Lap as a comparison unless it's from the exact same year. VIR has been resurfaced multiple times and track conditions are different every year. It's a power track too and favors straight line speed. This year the Supra MT was a lot faster than the auto Supra they ran before and I really don't think that it's because the '23 MT Supra is actually much faster. However, yeah, the E92 didn't blow away the competition in terms of numbers. I won't argue that the E46 is my favorite, but don't sleep on E92. The value is only going to go up and the V8 is a gem other than the bearings.
I learned a long time ago that magazines don't mean anything. I test drove a Stelvio and it was a total dog. But it does 0-60 in 5.4! How could this be? Well, a forum member on thr stelvio forums put one on a dragy and it was running mid 6s 0-60 unless you brake torqued the converter hard on the launch. So basically the Stelvio and Acura RDX were a dead ringer on the street...but magazine numbers sure would make you think the Stelvio would just annihilate the RDX. The mid range on the 370z was very stout due to VVT, and my CBE was worth about 20whp, per multiple dynos. All I know is that E92 tried so hard and I just kept pulling. Sounded good though. Power/weight/gearing? Just killed it.

I learned a long time ago that magazines don't mean anything. I test drove a Stelvio and it was a total dog. But it does 0-60 in 5.4! How could this be? Well, a forum member on thr stelvio forums put one on a dragy and it was running mid 6s 0-60 unless you brake torqued the converter hard on the launch. So basically the Stelvio and Acura RDX were a dead ringer on the street...but magazine numbers sure would make you think the Stelvio would just annihilate the RDX. The mid range on the 370z was very stout due to VVT, and my CBE was worth about 20whp, per multiple dynos. All I know is that E92 tried so hard and I just kept pulling. Sounded good though. Power/weight/gearing? Just killed it.
20 whp isn't cutting it. Either something is wrong with the M3 or the guy wasn't trying. They are not even close in a straight line at highway speeds. I've driven both.

20 whp isn't cutting it. Either something is wrong with the M3 or the guy wasn't trying. They are not even close in a straight line at highway speeds. I've driven both.
M3 will pack some 400lbs more. Still, engine, transmission are so far ahead of anything Nissan minus GT-R.

M3 will pack some 400lbs more. Still, engine, transmission are so far ahead of anything Nissan minus GT-R.
A Nismo 370Z is basically dead even or slightly ahead of an E46 M3 according to several videos I found, so no way it is keeping up with an E92. They are not the best cars from a dig but will surely pull easily from a car that traps ~106 mph in the quarter mile.

A lot comes down to the driver, was the car new and in break in mode, launch control set, gas octane can play a part, tire spin, temperature, altitude, and more.

Last week a guy really seemed to want to race me at ever light, he was on what should have been a MUCH quicker motorcycle than I was riding.
Well after being challenged to race at 6 red lights in a row, and not doing it, finally at light 7 I gave him the nod, and said lets do this. Me on my vastly slower bike kicked his ass to 100 kms/hr where I then rolled out of the throttle and just cruised along 80, since it was an 80 zone.
He figured that with his superior bike it was a done deal, what he lacked was the skill.
I'm no pro drag racer, far from it...i like to dream what would happen if say Angelle Sampey had been aboard my bike, instead of me.

Back