Bought another BMW: 2000 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It looks nice, but for the same amount of money I would of bought a Corolla.

Sigh, for the same amount of money I'll have to buy a Corolla... I doubt the BMW is going to anywhere as cheap to run as a Corolla but if Overkill manages to keep it on the road for a reasonable amount of money, I'll be taking notes! Sounds like he's going to drop $800 for tires to start but that's optional I guess. For $800 I could get new snows, new summer tires and a set of used r-comps for a corolla.

Check the tire rack link above, these are under 500 bucks for Michelins.

We'll see how this pans out. I'm optimistic about it. I've been driving it since I bought it and quite enjoy it. It's not the M5, but it is plenty quick and is getting great gas mileage!

The thing I miss most are the wheel and seats from the M5. This means I'll be trying to get the sport seats that 97tbird mentioned.

My buddy had a similar vintage Corolla "S", and this car is quieter inside, has a better stereo, rides better, handles better and basically does everything better than that FWD turd did.

Oh, and that Corolla drank oil too.

If I didn't buy a 3-series, it would probably have been a Fusion.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Sigh, for the same amount of money I'll have to buy a Corolla... I doubt the BMW is going to anywhere as cheap to run as a Corolla but if Overkill manages to keep it on the road for a reasonable amount of money, I'll be taking notes! Sounds like he's going to drop $800 for tires to start but that's optional I guess. For $800 I could get new snows, new summer tires and a set of used r-comps for a corolla.

We'll see how this pans out. I'm optimistic about it. I've been driving it since I bought it and quite enjoy it. It's not the M5, but it is plenty quick and is getting great gas mileage!

The thing I miss most are the wheel and seats from the M5. This means I'll be trying to get the sport seats that 97tbird mentioned.

Is it Ford dealers that price match here, or does anyone? Not to quibble but by the time you add shipping and tax and mounting its going to be pretty close to $800, and if they use DHL its going to be more! I hate those guys...
I'll have to test drive an older 3 series sometime just to see how I like it and if the premiium is worth it to me, the Neon is coming to an end as a DD sometime soon so this is my chance to get something sort of respectable.

Is it Ford dealers that price match here, or does anyone? Not to quibble but by the time you add shipping and tax and mounting its going to be pretty close to $800, and if they use DHL its going to be more! I hate those guys...
I'll have to test drive an older 3 series sometime just to see how I like it and if the premiium is worth it to me, the Neon is coming to an end as a DD sometime soon so this is my chance to get something sort of respectable.

I wouldn't order them from TR due to the reasons you've mentioned. But Ford doesn't tend to be much higher price-wise normally. Which is nice. Hence the $500, since TR was in the 4's.

I've got her at Ford right now for safety, hoping it doesn't need much, if anything.

So, it needed a tie-rod end for safety. Also, the mechanic was concerned about the oil leak but was OK with it, since I told him I had already ordered a new valve cover gasket for it.

Not bad, tie-rod end was only $90.00.

I like the way you think
wink.gif

It's amazing people actually suggesting a Corolla as an alternative to a BMW 328i

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

I like the way you think
wink.gif

It's amazing people actually suggesting a Corolla as an alternative to a BMW 328i

It blows my mind!

So, my $3400 car costed a whopping $90.00 to safety
wink.gif

Those scary BMW parts prices
grin.gif

Guess that makes it a $3500 car eh? LOL!

LMAO!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Yes, a non-sequiter if there ever was one. I've never driven a BMW, but I've driven a Corolla and just that half of the comparison is enough to speak from!

Nice pics, looks even better than expected, and cant beat the price. Valve cover gaskets are not a tough job. Hardest part is taking off the cabin filter housing, theyre t-30. Remove cabin filter, remove cover. Remove weatherstripping and 5-6 retained t-30s. Pull off. Beer break. Now resume the VCG.
Order a power steering reservoir gasket, you can see the bottle is covered in dirt. This happens when people slam the cap on and ruin the rubber washer. Even better, order a bottle since it has a filter built in. Make sure you dont need other p/s repairs first though haha.
I highly recommend the DWS' Weve put them on customer cars ranging from a VW Jetta to Porsche Cayenne S. As stated, the only complaint was a softer ride, but theyre usually about 20% less than Michelins. For an SL500, they were about 35% cheaper compared to the Pilot Sport A/S. Thats a benchmark tire though.

You got a real nice deal there! Looking just at the outside picture of the car I would have guessed that style of BMW would have sold for around $10,000 used up here. So most of your neighbors and friends probably won't believe that cost only $3400!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Audios
Nice pics, looks even better than expected, and cant beat the price. Valve cover gaskets are not a tough job. Hardest part is taking off the cabin filter housing, theyre t-30. Remove cabin filter, remove cover. Remove weatherstripping and 5-6 retained t-30s. Pull off. Beer break. Now resume the VCG.
Order a power steering reservoir gasket, you can see the bottle is covered in dirt. This happens when people slam the cap on and ruin the rubber washer. Even better, order a bottle since it has a filter built in. Make sure you dont need other p/s repairs first though haha.
I highly recommend the DWS' Weve put them on customer cars ranging from a VW Jetta to Porsche Cayenne S. As stated, the only complaint was a softer ride, but theyre usually about 20% less than Michelins. For an SL500, they were about 35% cheaper compared to the Pilot Sport A/S. Thats a benchmark tire though.

I've got the window regulator and VCG coming tomorrow hopefully along with the tie-rod end. Oh, and a new gear selector.

Beyond that, it needs a seat at this point. Then I'm looking at tires.

Just a reminder on the float when filling the cooling system, you still must - "ignition key on but engine not running, temperature set to max on display, fan speed set to low, and remove bleed screw on upper rad hose by the filler cap. Fill till it pours ot the bleed screw hole, then put screw back in." or else it is not full, just do not want to see you have problems

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
Just a reminder on the float when filling the cooling system, you still must - "ignition key on but engine not running, temperature set to max on display, fan speed set to low, and remove bleed screw on upper rad hose by the filler cap. Fill till it pours ot the bleed screw hole, then put screw back in." or else it is not full, just do not want to see you have problems

Good to know. I will follow that procedure when I get the car back.

Also check out bavarian auto recyclers for seats, theyre in California though, so dont know if theyll hit you hard for customs.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Also check out bavarian auto recyclers for seats, theyre in California though, so dont know if theyll hit you hard for customs.

A buddy from the M5 club told me he's got a set out of a 525. They are black. I'm asking him for pics.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

Yes, a non-sequiter if there ever was one. I've never driven a BMW, but I've driven a Corolla and just that half of the comparison is enough to speak from!

lol.gif

Congrats man! Very nice looking especially for the price. I've thought about doing this, the wife likes the idea of having a prestige marque.

So when you trading the Expi in on a X5?
02.gif

Don't start on that one! My wife already has been joking about it (getting an X5).

But the Expedition is RELIABLE. I know I can go out, turn the key, pull a car trailer (done many times), take it 4x4'ing, beat the tar out of it and it will get me home.

It has taken us to the east coast and back in snow storms, driving rain, pulled out stuck trucks....etc. It has been worked for almost 100,000Km over the last three years and needed what I would consider minimal maintenance to do it.

My dad is considering getting rid of his Townie (and getting an X5 now, originally he was wanting a Benz) but wants to keep the Expedition.... For the same reason I've listed above. It has towed U-haul trailers from down east numerous times over the last couple of years and beyond mostly regular maintenance, has been bulletproof.

They are Ford trucks. You can change the starter in a parking lot (had to do that on mom and dad's), work on them without a jack and just a regular socket set. There is something to be said for that, and why I want to hold on to it. It has been a very good vehicle, it is in excellent shape and I see no sense in getting rid of something that has served us so well.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If it works well, no point in changing.

Very true.

I also understand the easy to change a starter thing. Almost had to do that in the parking lot at work this weekend. Went to leave work Friday night, starter bendix wouldn't stay engaged. Left the Jeep there overnight, expecting to come back Saturday and need to pull the starter, and see if I could clean it up enough to get the thing home. Fortunately, after sitting overnight, it decided to fire right up. Pulled the starter today, took 20 minutes
smile.gif

Just let me know if there is ANYTHING you need to know. As you know, I have essentially taken my entire car apart and put it back together a couple times
wink.gif

The M52tuB28 is a fantastic engine, internally it is incredibly similar to the 96-99 US M3 S52B32, and it is a great engine to tinker with and is very easy to get a bit of extra power out of for very cheap (relative to M54 and beyond N/A motors), with an AFE Stg1 intake and Conforti Shark Injector showing over 15whp gain in 92*F weather on my car with zero other mods. Headers and an exhaust do wonders too, as do Underdrive Pulleys and once all that is done, a bigger TB (get a used Dinan).
If you need any maintenance help, I would be more than happy to help.

Now, first things first...
1) RP or RL 5w30/40 and OE or KN Oil Filter
2) Redline D4 ATF in gearbox and PS
3) RL 75w90 in diff
4) Motul RBF600 in brakes
5) OEM NGK Spark Plugs and Bosch boots
6) OE Fuel Filter
7) OE Charcoal Cabin Air Filter
8) Check battery and replace w Odyssey ltw battery if new is needed
9) Replace "guibo"
10) Start saving for suspension bushing overhaul w Powerflex Polyurethane bushings
11) Run RL SI-1 every other tank for a few thousand miles
12) Seafoam Deep Creep for TB cleaning and EGR/PCV/SAP cleaning
13) Flush Coolant and replace with BMW Coolant and 1btl RL Water Wetter for the extra 5s it will give you in case of part failure

That should have it running like new, although the suspension is probably getting worn. I would go with KW V1 or V2 coils and Rogue Engineering RSMs, as Bilstein and KYB Yellows just do not feel right to me. StopTech Stg2 brake upgrade is a great deal at 599 for 4 slotted discs, StopTech Street Performance pads, ST SS lines, Motul RBF600 x3, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back