Best oil for Honda S2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Cmon, with all of the smart people here surely someone can explain this to me.

I'm not smart either, but it has to be shearing related.

I imagine a 0/5W-20/30 synthetic oil would have no issues...

I'm not smart either, either. But warm-up takes longer in cold temps so Honda may prefer higher viscosity oil for better fuel dilution cushion in the S2000.

You may be correct sir! Not being smart, I suspect that a UOA and a lengthy self-analysis of one's driving style and conditions would be in order to determine the optimum choice...

Last edited:
Quote:

You were saying something to me? LOL This site is also riddled with reading comprehension issues and irony-impairment...

I wasn't addressing anything that you'd posted in this thread.
dunno.gif

Quote:

90crvtec, I'm curious as to how you broke-in your S2000? It's rare that these high revving Honda engines don't consume some amount of oil. I'm assuming you broke it in hard?

I'll agree that it is rather odd to have an F20C that doesn't consume a measurable amount of oil. Everything on the car is stock, including the original PCV valve and I don't use a catch can. I'm not the original owner of the car so I can't say for sure how it was broken in, I do know that the dealership that sold it has the car's first oil change on record at 20 miles...so I think the original owner was concerned about break in wear and wanted the factory fill out way early.

*Technical discussion/speculation ensues now*
While the F20C has a bit of a reputation for consuming oil the F22C (2004+ models) doesn't burn much oil at all once it gets broken in. Lots of 2004+ owners report never having to add oil in between changes, most of them don't report any measurable amount of oil consumption. Some on S2ki speculate that this is because of the way the cylinders are honed on the 2004+ cars, Honda bolts a dummy head onto the block before honing the cylinders. This results in the cylinders being almost perfectly round with minimal distortion, so when the real head is torque onto the block the cylinders have little to no distortion. All '00-'03 models weren't produced this way and thus, some people speculate that they burn more oil because of some minor cylinder distortion that results from honing the cylinders without a head torqued in place. Here's where things get interesting, Honda changed manufacturing plants for the S2000 towards the end of 2003 to ramp up for the 2004 models. To add the S2000 X-Files, there's some speculation that late model '03s were actually produced at the Suzuka plant with the new cylinder honing techniques. Was mine one of those engines? Who knows.
wink.gif

Link #1

Link #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back