2014 Honda CRV Using Oil

Hi -

I have a 2014 Honda CRV with 120K miles. I've been using 0w20 synthetic oil and it's currently using 1/2 quart every 1K miles.

Will switching to 5w20 synthetic or convential slow down the oil use?

Thanks

Hi -

I have a 2014 Honda CRV with 120K miles. I've been using 0w20 synthetic oil and it's currently using 1/2 quart every 1K miles.

Will switching to 5w20 synthetic or convential slow down the oil use?

Thanks
Has it always consumed that much, or has it just started? If it's just started, I would try HPL EC or HPL oil that could potentially help clean the rings.

I bought it used with 40K miles. Initially it was using 1 quart every 5K miles. The oil use has been slowly increasing since then.

I bought it used with 40K miles. Initially it was using 1 quart every 5K miles. The oil use has been slowly increasing since then.
It's possible that over time the rings are not as clean as they once were. I would try an oil with high solvency.

Change PCV and move to 5w30 syn. Change every 3k (not 5k) until the dipstick oil still looks clear 500 miles after an oil change.
Should not be more than amber-color oil on that dipstick at 1k of the next OCI. Folks that do that and use the correct viscosity for that engine, mostly always see less consumption, when the engine ages.

Sometimes the correct viscosity is not what's recommended in the Owners Manual. A perfect example of getting it wrong are the South Koreans from 2012-2019.

Last edited:
Put a half pint of this in the oil 1000 miles before an oil change and then pull the spark plugs and do a piston soak with the rest.

KR161.png

@Jdog23000 - I posted some pictures of what the HPL EC30 loosened up (and here) in my couple engines that really don't burn oil. I'm convinced in the product and will recommend to anyone wanting to clean up and try to reduce oil burning from crudded up ring areas.

Piston soaks and stuff would probably help. VW uses the BG EPR right before a change for their oil burners, trusted mechanic there recommends it. I used it last year in the motors but didn't really dive into the filters. My oil stays clean for about 1000 miles in all the cars and did prior to trying the EC30

Definitely change the PCV as part of the process.

At this point of my life experience, I would rather have a good oil that lubricates well and cleans well than add really thin stuff to make oil thinner. Short time (20 minutes) before oil change for thin OK but not for 1000 miles.

I had some success in my 2006 CR-V switching 5w-30 and now a roughly 50/50 mix of 0w30 and 5w40. If I were you I’d switch to a 0w30 or 5w30 at the very least.

Check PCV, run some fuel system cleaner. There are many techniques for freeing stuck rings. I used CRO 505, HPL Engine Clean 30, and a Berrymans and then MMO piston soak. Still evaluating results.

I had some success in my 2006 CR-V switching 5w-30 and now a roughly 50/50 mix of 0w30 and 5w40. If I were you I’d switch to a 0w30 or 5w30 at the very least.

Check PCV, run some fuel system cleaner. There are many techniques for freeing stuck rings. I used CRO 505, HPL Engine Clean 30, and a Berrymans and then MMO piston soak. Still evaluating results.
My 2005 CRV specs 5w20 and when I used that it went through a few litres over the course of a 5000 mile OCI. 5w30 didn’t make much of a difference but since I’ve been using Supertech 5w40 it’s only using about 1 litre per OCI.

It might not be a bad idea to check the cylindar walls to see if there is damage there than can pass the oil. Once you know that you should be able to better plan to weather just deal with it or if there might be an "easy" fix for it.

Back