Best oil for a hybrid?

Revrick

Just purchased a 2021 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring, which is a hybrid. Any recommendations on oil? I generally go with Mobil 1 0-20 for most all of my recent cars. However, now I have a fully-electric Mustang and the Corsair.

Nothing special about the hybrid when it comes to the oil. Just use the spec and weight the owners manual says.
At face value that’s true. In practice I’m not sure.

I can be driving on the interstate at 70MPH, and have just had a decent load climbing a hill, heat soaked engine, etc., and it will just shut off.

To me that’s a good recipe to cook stuff slowly but surely. Even if there’s an electric coolant and oil pump that keeps things moving.

That’s why I am more concerned about oxidative resistance and stability for hybrids than for regular ICE.

Ive had good success with M1 EP in my accord. I recently changed to HPL 0w-20 for the same reasons i mentioned…

At face value that’s true. In practice I’m not sure.

I can be driving on the interstate at 70MPH, and have just had a decent load climbing a hill, heat soaked engine, etc., and it will just shut off.

To me that’s a good recipe to cook stuff slowly but surely. Even if there’s an electric coolant and oil pump that keeps things moving.

That’s why I am more concerned about oxidative resistance and stability for hybrids than for regular ICE.

Ive had good success with M1 EP in my accord. I recently changed to HPL 0w-20 for the same reasons i mentioned…
Some brands are marketing "Hybrid" themed oils
I wonder if there's a tangible difference in the scenario you described, or is it just marketing money on the label?
1709272318024.jpg

1709272402062.jpg

I have a hybrid Ford Maverick I am using Mobil 1 0-20. Mobil said it is good for 10,000 miles but I will not run that far before changing. I will go by the oil change computer and change when it gets to 25%.

I have a hybrid Ford Maverick I am using Mobil 1 0-20. Mobil said it is good for 10,000 miles but I will not run that far before changing. I will go by the oil change computer and change when it gets to 25%.
My accord goes about 14k miles per oci. Maybe a few thousand aren’t running the ICE. That’s why I picked M1EP, and now HPL.

If the fluids keep moving but the engine's mechanicals stop, what's the thermal difference between that an just taking your foot off the throttle in a "normal" drivetrain. The heat inputs into the system stop but fluids keep going. Maybe there are (two) exhaust valves in there that are pretty warm and stop open, without a valve seat to carry away heat. But then again, the heat input into those valves just stopped too.

Or are there not really electric pumps for those fluids?

Last edited:
Have been running Mobil 0W-16 in my RAV4 Hybrid, will move to Mobil 1 0W-20 EP on next change. There's some secret sauce in that oil, the VOAs show it as a weak additive and low TBN oil. Must be more POA / other?? to give it the EP label.

If the fluids keep moving but the engine's mechanicals stop, what's the thermal difference between that an just taking your foot off the throttle in a "normal" drivetrain. The heat inputs into the system stop but fluids keep going. Maybe there are (two) exhaust valves in there that are pretty warm and stop open, without a valve seat to carry away heat. But then again, the heat input into those valves just stopped too.

Or are there not really electric pumps for those fluids?
To be honest, I don’t know. More likely the water pump is electric than the oil pump.

Each one may be different, like my accord vs a Prius vs whatever else.

Likely added corrosion inhibitors, mainly for the plug-in hybrids.

Do you know about the oil and water pumps?

Pretty much what I doing. Last OCI was 7750 miles and the dash readout was 30% left .

I currently have Mobil One 0W16 in Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Initial change 901 miles --- out factory fill & factory filter --- I went Mobil One Hybrid 0W20 till 4900 miles. Not sure if imagination or not but seems when its just normal driving its alittle quieter on the OW16 but when accelerating hard -- both 0W20 and 0W16 sound the same??? More worried about wear and break in at this point. Plan on getting my Toyota Care oil change from Toyota at 10K with what they use. Then at 15K -- going with Total 0W20 paired with a Fram TG. I dont beat on this new ride soo expecting/hoping it to be long lasting with either 0W16 or 0W20.

List of the oils I’ve used in the Toyota Hybrid. I cannot tell the difference between any of it with 5K OCIs. All quality stuff. I just pick up whatever is on sale or rebate. Knocking on the door of 80K miles.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W16
Valvoline Advanced 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W16
Mobil1 AFE 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
My equivalent list, in chronological order:

TGMO 0W-20
Rural King (Warren Oil) 0W-20
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20
TGMO 0W-20 again
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 again
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-20
Quaker State Ultimate Protection (20k-mile claim) 5W-20

All of the above seem to function equally well, but I have no way to measure any differences in wear or in tendency to leave deposits.

Back