Suggestions for a slightly different oil?

Pretty normal looking use to me.
The truck is on 285s fully laden with winch, armor, sliders. It has to drive over several 8-12,000 ft passes to get there. In the pic it is on a 5 rated trail… I didn’t take pics of the harder stuff as I was driving.

The trail was South Draw Road. Some videos capture some of it, but there’s even gnarlier stuff than in these videos.

30 weight is appropriate for my use case.

The truck is on 285s fully laden with winch, armor, sliders. It has to drive over several 8-12,000 ft passes to get there. In the pic it is on a 5 rated trail… I didn’t take pics of the harder stuff as I was driving.

The trail was South Draw Road. Some videos capture some of it, but there’s even gnarlier stuff than in these videos.

30 weight is appropriate for my use case.

The real question is how many Subarus do you see on that trail?

The real question is how many Subarus do you see on that trail?
lol none. Maybe a heavily modified one could make it with a lot of spotting and stacking. There’s a section where you drive through a dry creek bed with high walls and you have to go over a few large rocks. I can’t find any footage of it though.

Over time, I have read many posts from people that say the manufacturer oil recommendation for a given vehicle may vary, depending on where the vehicle was sold. In my case, I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor, and MY manual says to use 0W-20. I decided to contact Toyota directly and ask what alternate oil recommendations they might suggest for this truck in different countries and/or climates.

The woman I spoke to in Toyota support only had information for my Tacoma as if it was manufactured in Mexico (https://www.toyota.mx/). I went to this website and downloaded the manual for my year of Tacoma, and the oil recommendations are much broader. I have attached a screenshot of the manual page, but it seems this truck can run 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 , and even 15W-40.

I have a little more than 12K miles on my truck, and I don't drive the vehicle hard at all. I currently run Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP, and the Product Data Sheet can be found here: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ts/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20#lightbox-pdsdatasheet . Since Toyota says that I can even run 15W-40, I think I'd like to run a slightly thicker oil for the long term in my truck, but not that heavy. Since I am partial to both Mobil 1 and/or Castrol oils, I'm thinking of trying either Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-5w-30) or Castrol EDGE 0W-30 LL. I have chosen these two oils because their approvals for both oils are almost identical (i.w. ACEA C3, BMW Longlife-04, MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51, Porsche C30, VW 504 00/ 507 00, Suitable for use in the following specifications: MB 229.52.).

Which one of these oils would you suggest? Do you think one has an edge on the other, or is it pretty much a toss-up?

Thank you for your feedback.

Ed

View attachment 207320

Of the two oils your thinking about, i'd choose the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Forget the Castrol EDGE 0W-30 LL.

FYI, the Valvoline European Vehicle FS 0W-30 does the job of BOTH the Castrol EDGE 0W-30 LL AND the Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4. It has better base oils(more PAO) than the EDGE 0W-30 LL. It also doesn't use a magical fish net separating engine parts that you see on the bottles of Castrol(neither does Mobil 1).

....but since you like Mobil 1, use the ESP 5W-30, it will serve you well.

...also realized that most Americans(probably 90% or more) are actually driving under severe conditions and don't even know it. This is because the industries don't explain this well enough for the most part. Driving the car/truck "easy" is simply not enough to not be severe.

Back