Been thinking of next place to live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtus ... I can’t put a full day into skiing anymore. I try to ski the heck out of the slopes available so by early/mid afternoon, I’m spent.

Can I ask what town you’re in now?

Spoke to my buddy earlier and suggested we forgo Sunday River and I’m going to look at Airbnb for a place at Cannon or Wildcat. Like I said before, I can do a little recon of the area

I don’t meant to emphasize the skiing like this but it’s among the last “family” sports for any age... but at the rate the lift ticket prices are climbing... sheesh. Dating myself but I remember $11 full day/$7 half day tickets at Smuggs (Madonna back then).

Someone asked before whether this was a discussion about a retirement home to which the answer is Yes. In the meantime, would be a 2nd home/vacation place for the kids.

Last edited:
NH natives are as redneck as you can get (not a bad thing) they are independent, self reliant, anti big government, anti tax and welfare and for the most part conservative until you throw a masshole in the mix.
Forget VT they are for the most part nanny on steroids, you may as well reserve rooms at your local fruit cake factory.

Originally Posted By: Trav
NH natives are as redneck as you can get (not a bad thing) they are independent, self reliant, anti big government, anti tax and welfare and for the most part conservative until you throw a masshole in the mix.
Forget VT they are for the most part nanny on steroids, you may as well reserve rooms at your local fruit cake factory.

Ha ha ha....I enjoyed this post immensely!

Whatever you do don't move to Colorado. Horrible place. Average 110 deg. F in the summer with 110% humidity. Winter time average high -40 deg. F. Minimum 8 ft snow pack on the ground all winter. If you are looking for a major metro area, there are none. If you are looking for rural, there is none, it's all built up. It is as flat as a board, if you are looking for mountains. Crime rate highest in USA. Unemployment averages 30-40%, and median income annually is probably less than $600. Don't move to Colorado!

43.gif

NH doesn't have great east-west highways. So if you get up north of Concord and want to jog e/w, it can be a challenge. But course cheaper land would be that way. And off the beaten path in general.

Tax rate is a big variable, but so is actual land assessment. I think they play with both numbers. At least Zillow lists tax history if you start looking, get an idea as to costs.

Watch out when buying older houses. I think a good number of camps have been winterized, but only the worst sorts of ways. If it's near water, watch out.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Supton... aside from the abbious flooding exposure, why watch out for water?
Houses cheaply built as camps sometimes--just for usage in the summer months. Not for year round usage. Next owner stuffs some insulation into the walls, next one sells it as a house you can live in year round. However the roof ice dams, no vapor barrier, and who knows what else lurks in the walls.

I've heard of more than a few complaints about houses that were better off torn down rather than fixed. Living in one right now, actually.

You can build a slab on grade house in frost country, our friends did one and basically you just extend the R10 styrofoam under the slab, out 4' beyond the walls of the house and that keeps the ground under the house from freezing. Also a well could be quite cheap or expensive $3k-12, just ask the neighbors what they have. Also a filter bed septic system shouldn't be that expensive either. Ours was more like $8k and its sized for a 3 bathroom house.
Having grid electricity is important but lots of places have wireless internet that's reasonable speed and cost.
IMO if you want to build with a $300k budget, you can do it, but you have to do some research to find areas where installing a well and septic is cheap and easy, internet is available, etc. Low crime etc. Build something simple without alot of the function-less dressup features of many subdivision homes and it can go up fast and inexpensively.
We were total building rookies and make a few errors with building our place, but nothing unsolvable, and we chose the "crazy" location in the middle of our 100 acres and don't regret it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back