How long do you think you will live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost 69 and don't expect more than a couple more years, at most.

Live an unhealthy life and the quality is not there anymore. Need help even to shower these days.
Kind of lost the will to live and get old. Not asking for death either.
Would like to see my Granddaughter have a child, but that is wishful thinking on my part.
She is 18 and joining the Air Force in January.

Just bored tonight and wanted to know expectations from you all.

Many, many people think they know about when they will pass. Many are very wrong. I tell people who are thinking they are about to die soon "you are not on your clock, you are on Gods clock". What I am trying to say is healthy people can and will die young, and some people in poor health can live for decades. God decides it.

My Family seems to live to good ages despite having poor unhealthy lifestyles.

I watched my Grandmother on my Fathers side live to 91. For the last 5 years she could barely leave the house, but her brain was as sharp as a button. Then on the other side of the coin, I watched my other Grandmother suffer through dementia until she was nothing more than a working body, but nobody home. And I often think, do I even want to make it to that?

I eat a lot of processed junk and very little fresh food. I also have an office job so don't get the exercise I should (I go swimming twice a week for an hour a time). I'm 224lb at 5ft 8, so hardly an ideal size. I'll be happy if I make it to 70-75 and hopefully drop in my sleep of a heart attack or something.

Live an unhealthy life and the quality is not there anymore. Need help even to shower these days.
Would like to see my Granddaughter have a child, but that is wishful thinking on my part.

Being positive will extend your life. I would work on ways to improve your life style and you can go well into your 80's. It's never too late to improve.

Jdeere562 .. sounds like you need a reset. Make life worth living. Maybe therapy to help the physical issues. 69 is still somewhat young.

Unless these sleep issues continue probably somewhere 80-90. The men in my family lived to 80's but the ladies typically to the 90s. Guess dad will tell me someday, he's 73 and pretty good shape. I'm about the same at 43 but I might turn crazy someday.

I have been retired over 2 years and thinking about going back to work to put a little more drama in my life. Other than Corvette events, fishing the Missouri river in my boat, and pheasant hunting and ice fishing I don't have a whole lot to do. With winter coming around the corner maybe going back to work will add a little more meat and potatoes to my lifestyle. My mom passed away recently and made it to almost 94 however my dad only lived to almost 80. I hope to make it to at least 85 and am 68 now. Retirement is nice without a job however in the winter it gets a little old but so does going to work.

Psalm 90 verse 10 sums it up pretty well:

The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Although not promised to everyone, as widespread diseases are still a thing. Proven by last couple years, where many young souls moved on to their eternity.

I wish each and every one of you a long life where you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

I'm not sure. The big guy in the sky hasn't filled me in on his plan just yet. Life sure isn't easy but I've been blessed. 51 and comfortably retired for the last few years. Kids are thriving! I'm doing my part! Hit it hard at the gym and decent diet. I don't smoke and now I'm older I cut A LOT of alcohol out of my life. I still enjoy high-end bourbon and love my Chianti, Bordeaux, Cab's, & all-time favorite Montepulciano!!

A lot of life to be lived! Took me 50 years but I found a really good (and tough) woman that likes to go out as much as I do. She helps keep me on track by sharing our meals when out. Hope to be around and in good health for another 30 years to watch my kids grow and have their own families and enjoy my own queen.

Attachments

• Tornado & Me.jpg
    Tornado & Me.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 87
In my parents generation, most made it to at least 90. An aunt reached 99, another 95. My mother hit 96.

Uncles reached 90-94. None led healthy lifestyles. The prior generation had many into their 90s.

My father died of a massive stroke at 72. He worked himself to death. It was a life lesson for me.

My only fear is dementia, or a long downhill slide with cancer. I would rather die in my sleep.

I stay active in community affairs. I am a Justice of the Peace in my small town.

As Woody Allen once said, "I am not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

I

The data suggests that we underestimate our lifespans. So to that I couldn't put an exact date on it. My father was adopted so I'm not sure what that side of the family lives til. However, Dad died at 72 not a real stressful life but didn't exercise & lived off peanut butter sandwiches with Pepsi as a daily routine. My grandmother lived until 84. So, these are good guides to go off since a lot of our live spans depend on genetics. The financially more well off seems to help live longer as well. I was hit by a drunk driver 25 years ago & most people in my condition was certain death but medical staff did everything right to save my life. Trachea in the neck, mouth wired shut, feeding tube, & multiple facial reconstructive surgeries. They even took a piece of my rib bone to reconstruct my nose LOL. I pop out my fake eye & tell the kiddo's on halloween night that "I pulled out my eye for you to look at" 😜. I tell my wife that my medical issues are the writing on the wall & tell her that it's "quality over quantity" for me. There are probably lot's of folks that would p their life away but live until 90 but I'd rather live a more purposeful life to 70. I'm 39 & not dead yet so that's my story. 😀

Long Live us BITOG's or A Quality Life :ROFLMAO: !

Last edited:
Hanging out with negative, dead end people will sure cut your life expectancy. Staying active, engaging with positive people, keeping your mind active by reading, set your sights on a higher purpose .

I make it a habit to never talk about my aches and pains when interacting with people. Nobody gives a **** and it's pointless as everyone suffers from something either physically or mentally.

Last edited:
As my dear mom died of cancer, I bemoaned to her younger sister, a nurse, that, "...of all people...." as Mom was a healthy cook/eater.

Her response [re cancer specifically] was, "Carcinogens are in the air, food and water. Plus your mother did smoke over a long period and consumed alcohol". Auntie didn't pull punches.

So people, cut the BS. Stay in shape, get in shape, eat smart even if it means limiting your menus. Don't smoke-don't vape.

Excess kills.
Preservatives are the story when it comes to fast foods and the deli counter.
Becoming addicted to sugar is bad.
Deadening your taste buds so you have to crank up the salt and acid levels ain't good either.
THIS JUST IN: Fats taste good. Watch the fried foods...ice creams....cheeses....fast foods.

'Tisn't much we can do about gene codes (predisposition to diseases etc.), so do the smart thing.

A Word to the Young Workers Who Go Out to Eat Every Lunch Hour: Make and carry your own healthy lunch.
I watched Bozo boys eat and drink half their paychecks away because packing a lunch was 'not cool'.

Don’t short change yourself. I am 71 an both my parents died at age 82. The key is to stay active. Even if there are aches and pains. Getting old is not for whimps!

"live an unhealthy life" kinds of says it all.
It's never too late. Im not far off that age within 2 years) and call me crazy and everyone that knows me but my brain still thinks Im in my 20s, 30s at the latest. People say I look young. Though I dont think my body feels like Im in my 20s all the time *LOL* and that is ok.

I love living life, my days fly by even though I am retired. I have so many interests that I dont know if I can do them all by the time that day comes. I have so many interests and things I still want to do. The one passion I may never see is a pilots license and small aircraft. Not really in the budget and I have so much other stuff that I dont have the time but mostly still, not in the budget.

Just moved into a new home this year. Im doing my landscaping thing, people thought I was nuts this summer when I had 3,750 Lbs of 50lb patio stones delivered to my driveway with a fork lift and in 90+ humid degree day was loading them into a cart and moving them to the back yard. I plant trees and do say to people I'm not sure if I will ever see the height they are supposed to grow too in the coming decades but I plan on being around for at least half of it.

My family history on the male side of the family is horrible with heart disease and diabetes I swore at a younger age I would be different. I have avoided much of and almost all of that except for a few hic-cups but it makes me more determined then ever to stay fit, get exercise, and even though I always ate healthy (my family thinks an extreme but they see the results have worked well for me)

Im just trying to say, you need to find interests, pick yourself up, get interested in stuff. That interest can be a healthy lifestyle to start today. Read about it, nutrition, exercise make it a hobby and you will see your grandchild one day.

One step at a time, start with healthy lifestyle as a hobby not a chore once you are into that move into more interests. Get a small dog as a companion but first research on the care, feeding and training, again, as a hobby. Make everything moving forward into a hobby, a passion, make it fun, you seem to be dragging along, turn it around and make things happen and get satisfaction out of it, which is what a hobby is.
Ok, now time for my coffee, hope this makes sense.
Good luck to you, really.

Last edited:
I never thought I would live this long, to be honest.

Lost a lot of friends/peers in their 20s and 30s from what remains an unforgiving occupation.

Once I hit my 40s, it began to dawn on me that I might be around for a while.

I’ve had some medical challenges. A few close calls, personally, skiing, kayaking, flying and yeah, one or two driving.

Those have all instilled a sense of gratitude. I’m fortunate. Lucky to be here.

I have been retired over 2 years and thinking about going back to work to put a little more drama in my life. Other than Corvette events, fishing the Missouri river in my boat, and pheasant hunting and ice fishing I don't have a whole lot to do. Retirement is nice without a job however in the winter it gets a little old but so does going to work.
Boy-oh-boy, I'm on the cusp of retirement and am concerned about maintaining both my physical and mental health. Many men struggle with retirement, even when they envision the "Life of Riley".

deere562 .. sounds like you need a reset. Make life worth living. Maybe therapy to help the physical issues. 69 is still somewhat young.
I totally believe that mental therapy/exercise is important too.

How old for me? I have no clue. Life is not fair and people of all lifestyles drop dead daily at all ages. It's difficult to live mindfully every day. Good thread topic.

Boy-oh-boy, I'm on the cusp of retirement and am concerned about maintaining both my physical and mental health. Many men struggle with retirement, even when they envision the "Life of Riley".

I totally believe that mental therapy/exercise is important too.

How old for me? I have no clue. Life is not fair and people of all lifestyles drop dead daily at all ages. It's difficult to live mindfully every day. Good thread topic.
I believe the people that work after retirement are go-getters and do not like sitting around and most people cannot afford vacation all year round. Plus I would have to think double dipping ssi plus other income and a part time or full time job would be financially rewarding. Most of the office jobs I have had are fun and it's like having another family with your co-workers. You just have to find the right fit.

I'm 40 so presumably I'm about halfway there. The way I see it, I "wasn't" for a very long time before I "was". With no more brain function it seems impossible to even have any awareness of one's own death. I'd imagine being dead is about the same as not being born yet. So I just don't fear it or keep it at the forefront of my mind. The death of others, however is quite painful to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back