Been thinking of next place to live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannon in NH kicks butt too. Owned by state so over age 70 seasons pass is $40 M-F NH residents. $25 for NH resident every Wednesday.

Originally Posted By: Finz
Delta... now we’re talking..,!!

Admittedly, I’ve been a snob about skiing and have never skied PA in my life

What towns are you referring to if I may ask?

I live in McConnellsburg, which is in Fulton county. Small little mountain town, but has all the basic necessities. Might be 1200 people in town itself. Town over is Mercerburg, which is in Franklin county. Little bit more taxes, but the same feel. Lots of country living. If you go further east to a town called Greencastle, then property takes a sharp incline. 300K won't buy you much. Same house can be had for half in my area, with more land.

Also look into Altoona, PA. It's more city like, but the neighboring towns (Duncansville and Hollidaysburg) are smaller, along with the countryside. Plenty of main routes to travel to and fro.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I just googled listings of property/land for sale near VT ski areas... lots came up:

10.x acres in Jay, VT (Jay Peak ski area): $25k
25 acres in Stratton, VT: $35k
11 acres in Ripton, VT: $40k

.... I could spend a lifetime looking at these listings.

Having shopped extensively in Vermont, and bought land in Stowe, and built a house on it, those listings are specious...

Yes, that's the price of land. But it's rural. On a dirt road. Maybe several hundred yards from the nearest power line. Maybe more.

Have you costed in what it costs to put in a well? ($5K and up)
Install an Act 250-compliant septic (likely a mound, $15K and up)
And bring electric power to the site? ($5K up to $50K depending on the nearest line)
Oh, and you wanted Internet and phone? Better add the cost running a half mile of that wire, too...

Now that you're into the lot for $150K, it's time to start building...and since the frost line is deeper, and you'll need a full basement, you've got to go down pretty far, which means you'll hit some rock that has to be blasted, so...

Watch the movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"

Don't come to Texas, we don't need more people from New Jersey and New York that call us "rednecks" and "wetbacks" but then come to live in our state. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Don't come to Texas, we don't need more people from New Jersey and New York that call us "rednecks" and "wetbacks" but then come to live in our state. Thanks.

Main criteria is Skiing proximity. not representing Texas well......

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Northern New Mexico

This is exactly what came to mind to me as well. Then I re-read the criteria and realized it doesn't fit. Pity....as why anybody would choose to stay on the eastern seaboard (unless family) is beyond me.

Haha... used to live in Houston back in the 90’s. Thought I knew what a hot summer was given the humidity in NJ. Boy, between the heat/humidity, the bugs/ fire ants and the fact that I can’t find a gun rack to fit my Honda, you won’t have to worry about this guy from NJ going back

Oddly enough, I had customers in Texas that would call and ask for me specifically... not by name, yet, but they’d say they wanted to speak with that yankee... still cracks me up

Maybe you guys can pick up and move Austin as well? That city would probably fit in nicely.....in another state.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Northern New Mexico

This is exactly what came to mind to me as well. Then I re-read the criteria and realized it doesn't fit. Pity....as why anybody would choose to stay on the eastern seaboard (unless family) is beyond me.

Northeastern seaboard...

* Gorgeous change of seasons

* No real climate concerns... Sandy was the first “real” storm and probably the last to hit in my lifetime. Fires, quakes, flooding a passing thought at best

* Warmish ocean

..actually, I’m hard pressed to add to this list...? A little help?

Oh yeah... NJ is the only place in the country that doesn’t have an accent 😏

Originally Posted By: Delta
Delta... now we’re talking..,!!

Admittedly, I’ve been a snob about skiing and have never skied PA in my life

What towns are you referring to if I may ask?

I live in McConnellsburg, which is in Fulton county. Small little mountain town, but has all the basic necessities. Might be 1200 people in town itself. Town over is Mercerburg, which is in Franklin county. Little bit more taxes, but the same feel. Lots of country living. If you go further east to a town called Greencastle, then property takes a sharp incline. 300K won't buy you much. Same house can be had for half in my area, with more land.

Also look into Altoona, PA. It's more city like, but the neighboring towns (Duncansville and Hollidaysburg) are smaller, along with the countryside. Plenty of main routes to travel to and fro.

I spent a year in Altoona one weekend.
NH checks several boxes but property tax is high and super high if you live in a more populated area. I did enjoy buying a car there and not having to figure out the sales tax, there isn't any unless it's a meal.
Henniker? Ask yourself what you like to do when ski season is over. Beach, rivers, etc. Do you travel by air often? Two airports within 45 minutes unless you're way up north(Tim O'Neil Rally School up there).
Do you like making a big grocery list and stocking up or do you prefer being able to run out for a six pack and return home in ten minutes?
Think about your everyday life now and what you're willing to give up, if anything, to make a change.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Northern New Mexico

Northeastern seaboard...

* Gorgeous change of seasons

* No real climate concerns... Sandy was the first “real” storm and probably the last to hit in my lifetime. Fires, quakes, flooding a passing thought at best

* Warmish ocean

..actually, I’m hard pressed to add to this list...? A little help?

Oh yeah... NJ is the only place in the country that doesn’t have an accent 😏

To be factual.....northern New Mexico HAS a beautiful seasonal change in the higher altitudes. Very attractive. The climate is mild when compared to the east by far....including storms. There are also no accents unless you encounter hispanics, which are everywhere in the U.S.
I find the people of the west far more private and less intrusive/vocal than easterners. Less clannish...less gossipy.

But of course...there is no ocean.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
It took me about 10 years living in a Rural area to begrudgingly admit that in many ways he is correct. You really have to watch yourself here, from the meth heads that will rob you blind, the alarming rate of alcoholism and drug abuse and the associated problems that come with those things and the abundance of enraged rednecks who get triggered if you happen to cross their path on the wrong day who's answer to everything is violence, it can actually be a dangerous place to live out in the "Country".

5Acres... that’s very, very true and something I had forgotten about.

Again, family place in VT: picked up local paper a few years ago and was reading about the county clean up day. Specific warning about a particular type of trash that might be on the roadside... can’t recall exactly what it was but the article said that kind of trash could be the remnants of making crack or meth or,... and if you touched it or had a cut and touched it, could be very bad.

Remember thinking at the time, “Are you kidding me? Here?”

Well, as I said, my folks had been renting out that farm house since the 70’s and the tenets were typically Section VIII... not at all a bad thing don’t get me wrong.

Except for the last tenants ( who, I am 99.9% certain stole all the copper). Was clearing out a section as there was good, standing firewood for harvesting. Beneath a lot of the brush, was a cubby of sorts and, wouldn’t you know it, the exact trash I read about in that article... found this garbage before reading the article and bagged it and am alive and well to tell the tale but here I am... 20 miles from NYC... thinking I’m wise to the world.... seen it all.... HA!

Back in the day, we had weed. That’s it... smoke some weed, drink some beers. I know jack about this meth and crack

So you’Re absolutely right about “being out there”... something I hadn’t thought about

Originally Posted By: Kira
Delaware is OK with taxes, no? ...or is it only for retirees?
How 'bout remote locations n Virginia?

I throw these out seeking answers myself.

DE is one of the states listed as "retirement friendly". No sales tax and low property taxes. Probably other benefits with respect to the state income tax on SSA and pensions.

Unsure if OP is thinking about retirement or not.

We bought our retirement house just inland of Lewes DE which is a beach town.

Upstate NY is generally expensive in taxes. Even worse if you have an expensive house.

Last edited:
Lots of folks around here moved to DE a few years ago...

I’m probably hurting myself having the skiing on my wish-list and DE isn’t SO far out of the way. Not even remotely familiar with DE but I do know it’s “tax” friendly. As is NH, FL, TX (but I’ve told I can’t go there due to my redneck mentality 😏)

Appreciate all the comments... keep ‘me coming

By the way... Masshole comment: still cracking up

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
NH ticks off a bunch of boxes and no income tax.

The best ski areas in state IMHO though are Wildcat and Cannon.

Madriver... web sites alway show the best it can be but both Cannon and Wildcat look just fine.

You’re familiar with them I take it? Nice variety of terrain? What’s the “atmosphere” like there?

Buddy of mine and I are heading north end of the month... Killington... Gore... Smuugs... and then he suggested a place called Sunday in ME. Bit of a haul in comparison and not married to it by any means...

Easy enough to head to either Cannon or Wildcat instead. For fast moving skiers who prefer lite crowds, open trails and quick lift lines (who doesn’t) and who get burnt out/tired by 2:30 - 3, which would you say would be the better choice? Drinking isn’t much of a consideration but a nice lodge with a bar is always welcome

I was joking about the accents... But when in other states and ask for cawfee, or where the local dawg park is, I always get funny looks

I’ve been trying to get myself to Toas for decades... maybe now would be a good time to make it happen. A little recon.

My wife is the one who would prefer to be coastal - being from Ireland I suppose the sea salt in the air is nostalgic

I’m not adverse to anywhere really expect a few states off the top of my head. No interest in FL, MA, CA, NY, LA and anything near Chicago... varying reasons

Spotcrime.com is a good place to plug in some addresses and see what's happened in places you are considering.

Bought a ski place in NH, so I have some familiarity with it.
Property taxes will vary wildly by town...most towns with low property taxes will have questionable schools at the very least. Taxes are fairly low where we bought, but those who live there full time get excellent services for their money because they are a tiny percentage of the tax base and everybody pays the same...the grade school is supposed to be outstanding, but the high school kids have a go a long way to a regional HS. I don't believe any large unbuilt lots are even available in our town anymore, anything left would be very expensive. Don't expect anything much for services if you buy a big lot in a remote town with low taxes, though. No state income tax in NH, of course.
There really aren't any very large ski areas in NH, need to head to Maine for bigger resorts...Sunday River is almost twice the acreage of the biggest NH resort (Bretton Woods), for example, and it's not even as big as Sugarloaf. East Coast skiing is generally nothing special, as you probably know, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back